Serial, getty etc.

Post by Chris Fletch » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello there,

I seem to be having a problem with my dialin on my FreeBSD 3.3 machine.
Basicly, it's been working fine for months until recently. For no reason
it all it just started giving garbage when I dial into it.

It's a simple setup. I've enabled getty in /etc/ttys and set the modem
to AA. (I will run mgetty when I get this fixed. Mgetty won't even answer
the phone at the moment - presumably because it gets garbage rather than a
RING string)

After much RTFM'ing and stuffing around, I got it to work ONLY after I had
run: cu -s 115200 -l /dev/cuaa0 dir

After doing a ~. when successfully connected and talking to the modem it
would then allow me to dialin and work without garbage.

This is confusing the hell out of me as cu works with cuaa0 (dialout) while
getty uses ttyd0 (dialin). I assume it's changing the serial features for
both when I use cu.

What I'd really like to know is why on earth would it suddenly*up like
this? (I haven't changed any settings on this machine. It's task was to
simply route between the ethernet and the PPP interfaces and take incomming
calls. I don't use it appart from that!!)

Also I'd like to know how I can get the box to set and keep the settings
that are set when I run cu. (Whenever I turn off and on the modem or
of course, reboot the settings are reset). stty -f /dev/ttyd0 115200 crtscts
doesn't fix it.

Any help would be appreciated. (I can provide more details if needed!!)

Appart from this, my "FreeBeastie" box has been worth it's weight in gold.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris Fletcher.

Serial, getty etc.

Post by J Wuns » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I seem to be having a problem with my dialin on my FreeBSD 3.3 machine.
> Basicly, it's been working fine for months until recently. For no reason
> it all it just started giving garbage when I dial into it.

That probably means your modem talks on the V.24 interface in a
different speed than the getty is expecting.  Refer to your modem
handbook on how to `freeze' the DTE speed.  For most modems, it's that
you call out once to the modem at the desired speed (i. e. you use cu
with the same speed the getty is running), and store the configuration
with this speed (AT&W).

Quote:> It's a simple setup. I've enabled getty in /etc/ttys and set the modem
> to AA. (I will run mgetty when I get this fixed.

No need to run mgetty.  It wouldn't help you much further, unless of
course you're going to use mgetty's advanced features like auto-
detecting incoming faxes.  Mgetty has one big (IMHO) disadvantage: it
can't use the shared dialin/dialout device combination (ttyd vs. cuaa)
since it wants to listen to the modem _before_ carrier comes in, but
the semantics of the ttyd device are to complete the open(2) syscall
only _after_ carrier came in (so there's a clear distinction inside
the kernel whether the device belongs to the dialin or dialout
process).
--
cheers, J"org  /  73 de DL8DTL

1. Serial Problems with getty, setserial, etc... (please help)

Here are my questions:

I just got setserial 2.02 off of tsx-11.  When I ran make, there were some
ASYNC_?????_???? errors.  If necessary, I can provide these errors if
anyone's interested, but I'm wondering if setserial 2.02 was made for pl10,
or do I need pl11 to run it?  Or are there files that may have been missed
when pl10 was compiled (from pl9)?

Also (this may be a FAQ, but I haven't seen it), is there a bug in getty?
It barfs at any speed higher then 9600 baud.  At 38400 it sort of works,
however, it periodically spews crap.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated...

---Peter

2. two questions

3. /etc/getty and /etc/inittab woes

4. I wanna find libgmalloc.a & libgmalloc.o

5. getty with Seyon/Kermit/Minicom/etc.

6. Anyone compile crossfire for linux

7. Problem with getty leaving locks in /etc/locks

8. csh scripts

9. How does one set up a dumb local terminal (which getty, config, etc.)?

10. How do I insert a delay for /etc/getty???

11. /etc/init does not respawn getty

12. MST PPP and /etc/getty don't co-operate.

13. getty+/etc/ttys+cyclades == TERM->console