how to setup HP printers?

Post by John Meshkof » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

How do I set up FBSD 3.4 to drive HP printers (deskjet, officejet, etc.).  In
doing a quick test, I get output of one line of a text file, which seems to go
off the edge of the page, then printing stops.

JohnPipe

 "I do not know that I know the Self fully, neither do I know that
I know him not"---from the Upanishads

how to setup HP printers?

Post by Miguel Cr » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> How do I set up FBSD 3.4 to drive HP printers (deskjet, officejet, etc.).
> In doing a quick test, I get output of one line of a text file, which
> seems to go off the edge of the page, then printing stops.

Ghostscript ('gs') is probably your best bet. The specifics depend on which
type of HP printer it is; the protocols they speak vary wildly.

miguel

how to setup HP printers?

Post by Lukas Er » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>How do I set up FBSD 3.4 to drive HP printers (deskjet, officejet, etc.).  In
>doing a quick test, I get output of one line of a text file, which seems to go
>off the edge of the page, then printing stops.

I managed my HP DeskJet 695C going with apsfilter from the ports. (I used
the ghostscript driver for HP 550C.)

lg,
le

--
"You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid."

        -- Sign in a Japanese hotel

how to setup HP printers?

Post by Chris Costell » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> How do I set up FBSD 3.4 to drive HP printers (deskjet, officejet, etc.).  In
> doing a quick test, I get output of one line of a text file, which seems to go
> off the edge of the page, then printing stops.

   What model are you using?  If you haven't already, you need to
get apsfilter and ghostscript.  See http://people.FreeBSD.org/~andreas/
for information about apsfilter.

   If you've got a Hewlett Packard DeskJet 880C/882C like I do,
you need to download GhostScript 6 from
/usr/ports/print/ghostscript6.  Hacking in third-party drivers
into the port that's already been patched for FreeBSD isn't
exactly the most fun experience!

how to setup HP printers?

Post by Robert Yode » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> How do I set up FBSD 3.4 to drive HP printers (deskjet, officejet, etc.).  In
> doing a quick test, I get output of one line of a text file, which seems to go
> off the edge of the page, then printing stops.

HP printers by default expect an explicit carriage return
as well as a line feed.  Unix files typically contain
line feeds but no carriage returns.

Either:

a) Configure the printer to translate LF -> LF & CR.

b) Write a simple print filter to add a CR to the end
   of each line prior to sending it to the printer.

ry
--

"Unix:  The Solution to the W2K Problem."

how to setup HP printers?

Post by John Meshkof » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> How do I set up FBSD 3.4 to drive HP printers (deskjet, officejet, etc.).  In

Never mind, I found another post:

Subject: Re: hp printer setup"

which mentioned the 'apsfilter' program, which is a great help in printer
setup.

JohnPipe

 "I do not know that I know the Self fully, neither do I know that
I know him not"---from the Upanishads

how to setup HP printers?

Post by David J. Kant » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On 8 Jun 2000 14:33:19 -0600,

>How do I set up FBSD 3.4 to drive HP printers (deskjet, officejet, etc.).  In
>doing a quick test, I get output of one line of a text file, which seems to go
>off the edge of the page, then printing stops.

Get apsfilter.

--
David Kanter

how to setup HP printers?

Post by jtm3_141592653589.. » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

You should also read the handook section on printers in FreeBSD. That
way you can troubleshoot yourself (or your computer if that's the
problem).

BTW, there are two versions of Ghostscript available in the ports
collection, GNU and Aladdin. They support slightly different sets of
output devices.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.