Use FreeBSD telnet to FreeBSD problem

Post by Auge Aluusqul » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Dear all,

When I using a FreeBSD machine (diap up the ISP) telnet to other FreeBSD
machine (static IP address), it just displays the Remote IP address. It
does not display the login prompt for login.

I must telnet to other machine (other UNIX) firstly, and then telnet to
it. Also, I can telnet to that FreeBSD machine by M$ 95.

Would U tell me what is the problem? How to solve it?

Post by Kurt Ols » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Dear all,

> When I using a FreeBSD machine (diap up the ISP) telnet to other FreeBSD
> machine (static IP address), it just displays the Remote IP address. It
> does not display the login prompt for login.

> I must telnet to other machine (other UNIX) firstly, and then telnet to
> it. Also, I can telnet to that FreeBSD machine by M$ 95.

> Would U tell me what is the problem? How to solve it?

My guess is that your ISP's DNS is messed up somehow, or possibly the
FreeBSD machine you are telneting into has it's DNS messed.  To check
to see if this is really the problem, telnet from your dialup FreeBSD box
to the other FreeBSD machine and then wait, maybe 2 minutes or so.  If it
eventually pops up a login-prompt, then this is likely the case.

FreeBSD does a DNS lookup to add the hostname to the logs whenever someone
telnet's in.

--

1. Why I can't telnet to FreeBSD after install DES on FreeBSD?

I just configure my FreeBSD as a NIS client, and in order to share
passwd with other system, I installed DES.

But after that, when I type "telnet FreeBSDhost" on the NIS server, I
got:
$telnet freebsdhost
connected to freebsdhost.
Escape character is '^]'
local flow control on

and then blocked there?

Is there something wrong with DES?

Thanks a lot!

BR.

Wang Lei

2. Bash: How to address a (windows) folder containing a space?

3. Can't telnet from FreeBSD to FreeBSD (blackhole prob?)

4. libwmf on hp-ux

5. FreeBSD 4.0R -> FreeBSD 4.0-stable using ftp?

6. IP filtering on NetBSD/sparc

7. Wine problem under Freebsd (maybe freebsd ports?)

8. how to set cookies in cgi

9. Strange FreeBSD problem: can't make TCP connections to other FreeBSD hosts

10. Problem reading CD on freebsd burnt on freebsd

11. telnet problem FreeBSD to Linux

12. Using FreeBSD as a router, using modem.

13. Problem building system kernel using FreeBSD 2.1