root password changed, can't login

Post by bennyl » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

hi,

  I don't know if my machine is hacked or not, but the ultimate
fact is "root password was changed!!"
  Now, I wonder what I can do, beside installing a fresh system.

any suggestion greatly appreciated,

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Post by Clement Lafore » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> hi,

>   I don't know if my machine is hacked or not, but the ultimate
> fact is "root password was changed!!"
>   Now, I wonder what I can do, beside installing a fresh system.

You can boot in single user mode.

To do it, go in manual boot mode (Press enter to continue or wait...)

and type :

boot s

You'll have a shell (sh).

passwd root...

--
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
| Clement Laforet               |

root password changed, can't login

Post by Michae » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You can boot from floppy (FreeBSD) log as root (no password needed) and
remove passwords from /etc/master.passwd.
Quote:> hi,

>   I don't know if my machine is hacked or not, but the ultimate
> fact is "root password was changed!!"
>   Now, I wonder what I can do, beside installing a fresh system.

> any suggestion greatly appreciated,

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

root password changed, can't login

Post by Shon Elliot » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

boot with a freebsd bootdisk, go into configure andgo down to change
root password, and type in your new password, then exit install (it will
reboot the system on exit) and you should be fine.

--
Sincerely,
Shon Elliott

 "..Heaven, Waiting there for me.. Heaven.. Always let it be.."
                                       --Ronan Hardiman; Solas

1. I changed root's shell and doesn't login as root

Hi all,

I changed root's shell from csh to ksh in /etc/passwd file, and logout from
root.
I try to login as root but error message is "ksh doesn't exist".
so, i look up the ksh, and the shell's path is incorrect.
now i want to change the root's shell again, but i can not do it, coz i
can't login as root

please help me

thanks in advance

Jaguk Ku

2. shutting down scsi idle hard drives

3. Problem: No password-free remote 'root' login possible

4. Grep String ...

5. Can't set root password- Password busy error -is not due to temp password file

6. pppd problem

7. is it possible to change the 'root' login name?

8. Re Default Router Question

9. SLS 1.05: Won't allow a change of Root Password

10. Intruder's good job -- Change my root password

11. How to change root's password ?

12. Intruder's good job -- Change my root password

13. NIS+ user management [Was: Re: root changing a user's password (NIS)]