Mouse recognized by Linux, but not FBSD4?

Mouse recognized by Linux, but not FBSD4?

Post by Jerr » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:27:01

Hi all,

I installed FreeBSD 4 on a Pentium 233/48M RAM.

I have used both a Kensington 2-button and  Logitech 3-button (M-MD15L)
serial mouse on this machine, but FBSD will not recognize or otherwise
set up the mouse during the system install.

I have installed 3 different Linux distributions on this same machine,
with the same mice, and all 3 distros recognized the mice without any
problems.

Has anyone any experience with similar problems?

Thanks,

JB

Mouse recognized by Linux, but not FBSD4?

Post by David Andreas Alderu » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:40:55

Is the mouse daemon(moused) started?

/Kind regards,
    David A. Alderud

Post by Jerr » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:46:51

> Is the mouse daemon(moused) started?

> /Kind regards,
>     David A. Alderud

Yes! As a matter of fact, a box pops up stating "Attempting to start
mouse daemon" or some such; it then asks me if I can move the cursor.
Every port I select, every mouse type I choose, the mouse still will not
work.

Thanks for such a fast reply

Mouse recognized by Linux, but not FBSD4?

Post by David Andreas Alderu » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 17:32:51

Stop the mouse daemon.

Become root.

Run the following command in the text console.
        moused -d -f -p /dev/cuaa0 -i all
Tell us what it printed.
(I get somthing along the lines of "[...] /dev/cuaa0 serial microsoft
generic" on my server. But you should include all the information.)

Run the following command and capture the output.
        moused -d -f -p /dev/cuaa0 -t auto >& /tmp/mousedebug.txt
Move mouse and click some buttons.
Type ^C to stop moused.
Post /tmp/mousedebug.txt here and tell us how you moved the mouse and
clicked the buttons.

Run the following commands.
        vidcontrol -m on
        moused -f -p /dev/cuaa0 -t auto
The moused won't become daemon in this mode, so you can kill it easy.
Move mouse and see the mouse cursor moves correctly on the screen.
Click buttons and see if the text on the screen is selected and pasted.
Type ^C to stop moused.

If the above worked.  Put the following lines in /etc/rc.conf.
        moused_enable="YES"
        moused_type="auto"
        moused_port="/dev/cuaa0"

That's the best I can do at this time.
If we can't figure out what to do you should send a mail(including the same
information) to yokota of the FreeBSD team, I belive he's the one pulling
the strings of the mouse daemon.

/Kind regards,
    David A. Alderud

Post by Jerr » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 18:06:05

> Stop the mouse daemon.

> Become root.

> Run the following command in the text console.
>         moused -d -f -p /dev/cuaa0 -i all
> Tell us what it printed.
> (I get somthing along the lines of "[...] /dev/cuaa0 serial microsoft
> generic" on my server. But you should include all the information.)

My output:
        moused: PnP COM device rev 1.0 probe...
        moused: modem status 03
        moused: alternate probe...
        moused: cannot determine mousetype on /dev/cuaa0
        /dev/cuaa0 unknown unknown generic

Quote:

> Run the following command and capture the output.
>         moused -d -f -p /dev/cuaa0 -t auto >& /tmp/mousedebug.txt
> Move mouse and click some buttons.
> Type ^C to stop moused.
> Post /tmp/mousedebug.txt here and tell us how you moved the mouse and
> clicked the buttons.

Here is mousedebug.txt:

        moused: PnP COM device rev 1.0 probe...
        moused: modem status 03
        moused: alternate probe...
        moused: cannot determine mousetype on /dev/cuaa0
        moused: port: /dev/cuaa0 interface: unknown type: unknown model:
generic

and this was from moving the mouse in a clockwise fashion, hitting the
compass points, clicking buttons, etc.

Quote:> Run the following commands.
>         vidcontrol -m on
>         moused -f -p /dev/cuaa0 -t auto
> The moused won't become daemon in this mode, so you can kill it easy.
> Move mouse and see the mouse cursor moves correctly on the screen.
> Click buttons and see if the text on the screen is selected and pasted.
> Type ^C to stop moused.

This last test resulted in:
        moused:  cannot determine mouse type on /dev/cuaa0

Quote:> That's the best I can do at this time.
> If we can't figure out what to do you should send a mail(including the same
> information) to yokota of the FreeBSD team, I belive he's the one pulling
> the strings of the mouse daemon.

> /Kind regards,
>     David A. Alderud

Thank you very much for your help so far.  I really appreciate it.

Jerry

Mouse recognized by Linux, but not FBSD4?

Post by David Andreas Alderu » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 18:49:37

Quote:> My output:
> moused: PnP COM device rev 1.0 probe...
> moused: modem status 03
> moused: alternate probe...
> moused: cannot determine mousetype on /dev/cuaa0
> /dev/cuaa0 unknown unknown generic

[...]

Ok, so now we know that it's not PnP compatible, other than that there is
little information.

Let's try this. Have you installed XFree86?
If you plan on running XFree86 you should install it now, by doing this we
see if the mouse works there.
If you install XF86 v4.0.1 you can probably detect the mouse with
"XFree86 -configure" or something similar.
Otherwise use xf86config and set it to use /dev/cuaa0 then edit
/etc/X11/XF86Config and set the protocol to "Auto".

If this doesn't work send me a private e-mail and I'll send you yokotas
adress.

/Kind regards,
    David A. Alderud

Post by Jerr » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 01:15:52

> > My output:
> > moused: PnP COM device rev 1.0 probe...
> > moused: modem status 03
> > moused: alternate probe...
> > moused: cannot determine mousetype on /dev/cuaa0
> > /dev/cuaa0 unknown unknown generic
> [...]

> Ok, so now we know that it's not PnP compatible, other than that there is
> little information.

> Let's try this. Have you installed XFree86?
> If you plan on running XFree86 you should install it now, by doing this we
> see if the mouse works there.
> If you install XF86 v4.0.1 you can probably detect the mouse with
> "XFree86 -configure" or something similar.
> Otherwise use xf86config and set it to use /dev/cuaa0 then edit
> /etc/X11/XF86Config and set the protocol to "Auto".

> If this doesn't work send me a private e-mail and I'll send you yokotas
> adress.
> /Kind regards,
>     David A. Alderud

Yes.  I also installed X when I installed the rest of the system.  When
I try to start X from the command line, it looks like its firing up and
then it stops, saying my mouse is not configured.

Again, thank you very much for your help!

Jerry

Post by Jerr » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 01:18:13

> > My output:
> > moused: PnP COM device rev 1.0 probe...
> > moused: modem status 03
> > moused: alternate probe...
> > moused: cannot determine mousetype on /dev/cuaa0
> > /dev/cuaa0 unknown unknown generic
> [...]

> Ok, so now we know that it's not PnP compatible, other than that there is
> little information.

> Let's try this. Have you installed XFree86?
> If you plan on running XFree86 you should install it now, by doing this we
> see if the mouse works there.
> If you install XF86 v4.0.1 you can probably detect the mouse with
> "XFree86 -configure" or something similar.
> Otherwise use xf86config and set it to use /dev/cuaa0 then edit
> /etc/X11/XF86Config and set the protocol to "Auto".

> If this doesn't work send me a private e-mail and I'll send you yokotas
> adress.
> /Kind regards,
>     David A. Alderud

Yes.  I also installed X when I installed the rest of the system.  When
I try to start X from the command line, it looks like its firing up and
then it stops, saying my mouse is not configured.

Again, thank you very much for your help!

Jerry

1. Linux on Acer TravelMate 505T - mouse not recognised

hi there,

I hope someone can help me. I've got this brand new 505T and I installed
Linux Mandrake 6.1. The mouse is not properly recognised! In actual
fact, psaux doesn't point to the touchpad, but to the external mouse
port. If I connect an external mouse, everything works fine. How can I
make the touchpad work???

Please send me suggestions.
Thanks,
        Guido =8-)

--
     Guido Gonzato         #         Universita' di Bologna (Italy)

Geofisica
Linux sysadm, LDP Author,  #  Viale Berti Pichat 8, 40127 Bologna
(Italy)
and Fair Trade supporter   #            Fax +39 051 6305058

2. Solaris 2.4 not resolving hosts

3. Linux does not recognize CDROM nor bus mouse, Help!

4. X_OpenFont problem

5. Trivial patch against mempool

6. Serial MS-compatible mouse not recognized by Linux

7. SuSe's installer can't find my HD??

8. Linux wil not recognize Mouse and CdRom....HELP! ! !

9. Mouse not recognised by linux,

10. Problem with mouse under Xfree86 4.2.0 on FBSD4.5

11. Mouse is not recognized!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Mouse not recognized