Disk striping?

Post by Andrew Nee » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm considering a striped drive array for our local News server. Can
anyone point me to a solid package for striping under FreeBSD 2.1?

Pros/cons of this approach are also appreciated. I have 12 gig across 5
drives that I want to mash into one logical array (single FAST/synchronous
controller on a Pentium box).

Thanks!
-Andy.

Disk striping?

Post by Sean T. Lamo » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>I'm considering a striped drive array for our local News server. Can
>anyone point me to a solid package for striping under FreeBSD 2.1?

>Pros/cons of this approach are also appreciated. I have 12 gig across 5
>drives that I want to mash into one logical array (single FAST/synchronous
>controller on a Pentium box).

I thought the striping controller was beta - unstable at best?

--
Sean T. Lamont, President / CEO, Abstract Software (ServNet)
- Internet access * WWW hosting * TCP/IP * UNIX * NEXTSTEP * WWW Development -

"...There's no moral, it's just a lot of stuff that happens". - H. Simpson

Disk striping?

Post by J Wuns » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I thought the striping controller was beta - unstable at best?

Well, the ccd driver went into the -stable branch recently.  So i
assume Satoshi is somewhat convinced about its stability now. :)

--
cheers, J"org

Disk striping?

Post by Satoshi Asa » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

 *
 * > I thought the striping controller was beta - unstable at best?
 *
 * Well, the ccd driver went into the -stable branch recently.  So i
 * assume Satoshi is somewhat convinced about its stability now. :)

Well, that puppy going into -stable has more to do with me wanting to
import the whole cvs file (we're running it on both -current and
-stable here) than the overwhelming success stories we received from
all over the world.

However, it seems to be doing fine here, we haven't had a single
failure that could be blamed on ccd in the past couple of months.  And
we do stress it out just for the heck of it.

So I guess it is quite stable.  Maybe I should go take out the "beta"
from the README on the web site....

Satoshi :)

1. Disk Striping or concatenating

Hello,

I apologize if this is an old question.  I am planning to run INN on Linux.
 The only problem I have run into is what I can use to stripe or
concatenate several physical disks to look like one file system.  The
machine will be for news reading as opposed to news feeding and so requires
a large filesystem to store articles.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or supply me with the name of
some apllications that I might look into?

Thanks.

2. QIC-150 ( Wangtek ) ?

3. Disk Striping

4. Calder Open Linux 2.3 vs RedHat Linux 6.1

5. Disk Striping Using LVM (HP_UX 10.01)

6. Network unreachable

7. IDE devices and disk striping

8. File transfer using ftp

9. ccd/disk striping interleave for news host?

10. DEC UNIX Disk Striping

11. Disk Striping/Concat...

12. Hard Disk striping

13. Is there a disk striping utility for FreeBSD???