How to use dynamic addresses and hostnames with PPP?

How to use dynamic addresses and hostnames with PPP?

Post by Aaron Leun » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00



Hi everyone,
  I've gotten PPP to work using dynamically assigned IP addresses and
hostnames, but I'm wondering how to automatically change my hostname to
the dynamically assigned name once the connection is up.  I need to do
this because some e-mail servers that I use insist on knowing my real
hostname.  If I make something up, those servers reject mail from me on
the basis that my machine needs to have a real name and domain.  Thanks
for any info!

Best regards-
Aaron

 
 
 

How to use dynamic addresses and hostnames with PPP?

Post by Hank Marquard » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Generally, if you setup your mail client (MUA) to with host information like

verifying that the info it's exchanging is from a real host; not
specifically *your* real host.

Of course since you're running FreeBSD, why not just bounce your mail off
your own sendmail server?

Hank

Quote:> Hi everyone,
>   I've gotten PPP to work using dynamically assigned IP addresses and
> hostnames, but I'm wondering how to automatically change my hostname to
> the dynamically assigned name once the connection is up.  I need to do
> this because some e-mail servers that I use insist on knowing my real
> hostname.  If I make something up, those servers reject mail from me on
> the basis that my machine needs to have a real name and domain.  Thanks
> for any info!

> Best regards-
> Aaron


 
 
 

How to use dynamic addresses and hostnames with PPP?

Post by Aaron Leun » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Hi Hank,
  that's how I have things currently set up; I send mail directly from
my own host running sendmail, and my MUA is set up with the proper
"from" info.  But some of the addresses that I send mail to bounce my
messages back, saying that my machine doesn't exist or something.  I'm
guessing that this is because sendmail on my machine doesn't know my
dynamically allocated hostname and sticks something like "localhost" on
my messages.  Is there anything else you can suggest?

Thanks and regards-
Aaron Leung


> Generally, if you setup your mail client (MUA) to with host information like

> verifying that the info it's exchanging is from a real host; not
> specifically *your* real host.

> Of course since you're running FreeBSD, why not just bounce your mail off
> your own sendmail server?

> Hank

 
 
 

How to use dynamic addresses and hostnames with PPP?

Post by Hank Marquard » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Easy one ...

Set up a host masquerade in sendmail.cf with the domain of your isp.  I
don't have the syntax right at my fingers, but I think it's covered both in
the man page or in the faq at www.sendmail.org

Hank


> Hi Hank,
>   that's how I have things currently set up; I send mail directly from
> my own host running sendmail, and my MUA is set up with the proper
> "from" info.  But some of the addresses that I send mail to bounce my
> messages back, saying that my machine doesn't exist or something.  I'm
> guessing that this is because sendmail on my machine doesn't know my
> dynamically allocated hostname and sticks something like "localhost" on
> my messages.  Is there anything else you can suggest?

> Thanks and regards-
> Aaron Leung


> > Generally, if you setup your mail client (MUA) to with host information
like

just
> > verifying that the info it's exchanging is from a real host; not
> > specifically *your* real host.

> > Of course since you're running FreeBSD, why not just bounce your mail
off
> > your own sendmail server?

> > Hank

 
 
 

How to use dynamic addresses and hostnames with PPP?

Post by Heiko Recktenwal » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00



> Hi everyone,
>   I've gotten PPP to work using dynamically assigned IP addresses and
> hostnames, but I'm wondering how to automatically change my hostname to
> the dynamically assigned name once the connection is up.  I need to do

Well. Comgratulations sofar.

Quote:> this because some e-mail servers that I use insist on knowing my real
> hostname.  If I make something up, those servers reject mail from me on
> the basis that my machine needs to have a real name and domain.  Thanks
> for any info!

There is a chapter in the FAQ about setting up sendmail. You need the
sendmail sources, in contrib. Then its easy with the provided template.

Good luck !

Heiko

Quote:> Best regards-
> Aaron

--
--
"Cable is not a luxury, since many areas have poor TV reception."
                -- The mayor of Tucson, Arizona, 1989
 
 
 

How to use dynamic addresses and hostnames with PPP?

Post by Aaron Leun » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Best regards-
Aaron Leung


> Easy one ...

> Set up a host masquerade in sendmail.cf with the domain of your isp.  I
> don't have the syntax right at my fingers, but I think it's covered both in
> the man page or in the faq at www.sendmail.org

> Hank

 
 
 

1. PPP using dynamic addresses

        I am dialing into a PPP server that assigns IP addresses based on the
modem line that you are connected to.  Is there a way to get the IP address
from pppd and set my own hostname to that?  If anyone knows how to get the
IP number, I am sure that I could write a shell script to process the output.

        Thanks!

Joe Breu
WWW Administrator / Department of Biology / University of Northern Iowa
http://www.bio.uni.edu:8000

2. ISDN with LINUX

3. using mac address instead of an IP address of hostname

4. Classical IP over ATM (LS1010 and RS/6000)

5. wanted: expect script for ppp client using dynamic address

6. Solar

7. ipfwadm used with PPP/dynamic IP addressing?

8. Gnome and the control-Center

9. Anyone using Mobile-IP combined with PPP and dynamic IP address ?

10. Need help obtaining dynamic local IP Address using PPP

11. solaris 2.5 and PPP using dynamic addressing

12. ppp-2.3 using dynamic AND static IP address attribution

13. PPP scripts using dynamic addressing