Booting..

Post by Alex Prescot » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:26:51

Ok, I didn't know what group to post this in but, I'm using FreeBSD to do
this so...

I'm trying to change the active partition to my Windows partition. I run
"fdisk -a" and change it to partition 1 (Windows), it updates but, when I
reboot, FreeBSD boots up. Here's the weird part: Windows says it's partition
is active, FreeBSD says it's partition is active, and NetBSD says it's
partition is active. This is really confusing..

Booting..

Post by Alex Prescot » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:04:58

I figured it out; FreeBSD wrote to the Windows partition's MBR. So, the
Windows partition was active but FreeBSD wrote over it's MBR. Silly FreeBSD.

Booting..

Post by Jason Bourn » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:14:58

> I figured it out; FreeBSD wrote to the Windows partition's MBR. So, the
> Windows partition was active but FreeBSD wrote over it's MBR. Silly
> FreeBSD.

        When you installed FreeBSD you could have made the choice
not to do so; silly user indeed: not FreeBSD's fault!

Booting..

Post by Axel S. Grune » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:21:05

Hi.

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:04:58 GMT

special:

Quote:> I figured it out; FreeBSD wrote to the Windows partition's MBR. So,
> the Windows partition was active but FreeBSD wrote over it's MBR.
> Silly FreeBSD.

No, silly user.
FreeBSD is not resbonibly for faults the user is doing.
At the installation you have the choice:
install bootmanager
leave mbr untouched

Your fault.

--
asg

Die Antwort auf alle Fragen ist 42.

Booting..

Post by Alex Prescot » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 00:18:52

I did choose to leave the mbr untouched. It did that to me the last time
also. :P

> Hi.

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:04:58 GMT

> special:

> > I figured it out; FreeBSD wrote to the Windows partition's MBR. So,
> > the Windows partition was active but FreeBSD wrote over it's MBR.
> > Silly FreeBSD.

> No, silly user.
> FreeBSD is not resbonibly for faults the user is doing.
> At the installation you have the choice:
> install bootmanager
> leave mbr untouched

> Your fault.

> --
> asg

> Die Antwort auf alle Fragen ist 42.

Booting..

Post by Axel S. Grune » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 02:31:21

Hi.

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:18:52 GMT

special:

Quote:> I did choose to leave the mbr untouched. It did that to me the last
> time also. :P

Strange. Never had any problem with that (the first install was FreeBSD
3.0).

--
asg

Die Antwort auf alle Fragen ist 42.

1. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

Hi people, wonder if you could help me on this:

i have two redhat 7.1 machine, one trying to boot off the other
through etherboot. Everythign goes fine, the client boots, retreat the
kernel off the server through tftp, and starting the kernel. Then it
stopped with error messages:
.
.
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or 00:ff
please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:ff

kdb >
.
.
Where do I append a "root=" option? is it a dhcp problem? in
/etc/dhcpd.conf, i did put in

 option root-path "/boothome";

along with the other options. also, when tagging the kernel image, i
also have rootdir option:
mknbi-linux zImage --output=kernel --rootdir=/boothome

nfs export is correct, i have no idea where i did wrong.

any clue?

thanks in advance.
Paul G

2. xserver question...

3. LILO saved boot file /boot/boot.0301

4. LILO is a boot virus

5. Boot x86 boot enhancements, boot parameters 1/9

6. Intellimouse jumps to the upper left corner

7. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

8. Red Hat 7.1

9. renamed rc.boot to rc.boot.old now it wont boot???

10. RH6 "Boot failed" from boot disk

11. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

12. can't boot 'boot.flp' version 2.2.5

13. HELP: OS/2 boot mgr doesn't boot LINUX