Need for ppp setup util?

Post by Darren Wieb » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello:

I have received permission from the fellow that wrote the PPPSetup
utility for linux, to modify it so that it will work in FreeBSD as
well.  All he asks is that I send him a copy when I am done.  This
script is written in perl, however, I have run out of time and do not
have the proper knowledge of perl to finish it off.  Does anybody else
think that we need a script like that badly enough to want to work on
it??

Darren Wiebe

Need for ppp setup util?

Post by uzs.. » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> have the proper knowledge of perl to finish it off.  Does anybody else
> think that we need a script like that badly enough to want to work on
> it??

I think many people would prefer reading first man ppp and then, most usefull,
ppp.conf. There are exemples for all kind of setup and its most easy to start
here, change a phonenumber etc. Dont make things too complicated ;-)

Heiko

Need for ppp setup util?

Post by Tore Lun » Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > have the proper knowledge of perl to finish it off.  Does anybody else
> > think that we need a script like that badly enough to want to work on
> > it??

> I think many people would prefer reading first man ppp and then, most usefull,
> ppp.conf. There are exemples for all kind of setup and its most easy to start
> here, change a phonenumber etc. Dont make things too complicated ;-)

"Man ppp" is almost 3000 lines.  How many people *read* all that stuff?
The sheer length of it makes me wonder if there is some crucial detail
that I may have overlooked.

But I agree in your basic position.  People using FreeBSD in its present
state should understand what goes on.  If a more automated setup is
needed (for sheer end users), one should write a program with a point
and click interface.  Scripts are a half-way house.

HAVING SAID THIS, I think the documentation could be considerably
improved.  Personally I have by now got so far that I actually connect
to Internet, but it has been something of an uphill battle.  And I still
don't know why Netscape refuses to connect by itself.  I have to use ppp
+ dial provider, then Netscape is willing to trail along.  (Yes, I have
set network_interfaces and made a start_if.tun0 file.)  Wonder what I am
still missing.  One fine day, maybe I'll know...
--

Need for ppp setup util?

Post by Steve O'Hara Smi » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

: "Man ppp" is almost 3000 lines.  How many people *read* all that stuff?
: The sheer length of it makes me wonder if there is some crucial detail
: that I may have overlooked.

    Personally I read as much of it as needed as often as needed to track
down whatever problems I might be having or to find out how to (or how not
to) do some task. I did once skim the whole thing (the first time I set
out to use ppp).

Need for ppp setup util?

Post by Michel Talo » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>> > have the proper knowledge of perl to finish it off.  Does anybody else
>> > think that we need a script like that badly enough to want to work on
>> > it??

>> I think many people would prefer reading first man ppp and then, most usefull,
>> ppp.conf. There are exemples for all kind of setup and its most easy to start
>> here, change a phonenumber etc. Dont make things too complicated ;-)
> "Man ppp" is almost 3000 lines.  How many people *read* all that stuff?
> The sheer length of it makes me wonder if there is some crucial detail
> that I may have overlooked.
> But I agree in your basic position.  People using FreeBSD in its present
> state should understand what goes on.  If a more automated setup is
> needed (for sheer end users), one should write a program with a point
> and click interface.  Scripts are a half-way house.
> HAVING SAID THIS, I think the documentation could be considerably
> improved.  Personally I have by now got so far that I actually connect
> to Internet, but it has been something of an uphill battle.  And I still
> don't know why Netscape refuses to connect by itself.  I have to use ppp
> + dial provider, then Netscape is willing to trail along.  (Yes, I have
> set network_interfaces and made a start_if.tun0 file.)  Wonder what I am
> still missing.  One fine day, maybe I'll know...
> --

Personnally i find the ppp documentation extremely good. I am very happy to
read the 3000 lines of this doc, and would like many other programs to be as
well documented as this one. Several years ago it took me a week to get
connected on a Linux box using kernel mode pppd. Using  ppp on
FreeBSD and the term feature took me one minute first time.

This is a reason why kppp is very useful for Linux and pppd and why ppp does
not need such a tool. But even with a GUI, if you have a strange modem
requiring particular setup, you will be in trouble. While with term in ppp
it is easy to experiment until it works.

--
Michel Talon

1. PPP-Setup util & SuSE distro.

Confused is an understatement in my situation here trying to get a PPP
connection that sets up in 15 minutes in win95 by supplying the DNS
Primary + mail + news #s .
This is for a single user, me !
My ISP asks for :

Login  (my username)
Password  (my password)
Command (ppp)
just to show that it is not Chap or pap .

trouble is that I was frustated by failers to get PPP working , so
after reading this newsgroup , I decided to try the PPPSetup program
that is often recomended .

Everything worked as expected , but scripts still fail .

here is a readout from debug err messages :

Dec  6 02:37:26 Basslake pppd[1045]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
Dec  6 02:37:27 Basslake chat[1047]: timeout set to 10 seconds
Dec  6 02:37:27 Basslake chat[1047]: abort on (ERROR)
Dec  6 02:37:27 Basslake chat[1047]: abort on (BUSY)
Dec  6 02:37:27 Basslake chat[1047]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
Dec  6 02:37:27 Basslake chat[1047]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
Dec  6 02:37:27 Basslake chat[1047]: report (CARRIER)
Dec  6 02:37:27 Basslake chat[1047]: report (CONNECT)
Dec  6 02:37:27 Basslake chat[1047]: send (AT&F1^M)   ? may be bad in$
Dec  6 02:37:28 Basslake chat[1047]: expect (OK)
Dec  6 02:37:38 Basslake chat[1047]: alarm      ????What alarm
Dec  6 02:37:38 Basslake pppd[1045]: Connect script failed    ?Bummer?
Dec  6 02:37:38 Basslake pppd[1045]: Exit.     ??Back to win95 :<(
Dec  6 02:37:38 Basslake chat[1047]: Failed    ?? HELP !!!!
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
minicom has no problem with dialing out using /dev/modem
ttyS2  (com 3) irq 5

In the debug errmsg you see lines
AT&F1^M
expect (OK)
 alarm
Connect script failed

I used the basic initialization string that the US Robotics manual
suggested .

There is no connect noise from the modem (seems that scripts fail to
contact the modem )

May be it is because of the initialization string ?

Also my SuSE distrobution of Linux seems to have had some critical
files in different directories than the PPP Faq , PPP HOW-TO docs have
as standard .

one of which is the  'dialogue' file that PPPSetup says is a necessary
file to have for things to work right .

I found it in /usr/sbin , instead of /sbin  so I just made a symbolic
link to where PPPSetup expects it to be - hope that was OK to do.

Seems to me that setting this up should be a little more 'people
freindly' than it is ,causing things to keep mounting to a mass of
confusion , especially to users NEW to Linux like myself. Aside from
my less than perfect health , (emphysema) ,
I am still a determined person , but not a masochist.

Still I really like Linux but definately need a little help
any help will be reflected back as I gain experience
with Linux .
thanks for any help
JohnWM .

2. Newbie Video Card Problem

3. Q: am-util-6.0 setup problems

4. Lilyweb - internet response measurement tool

5. IPmasq setup in Redhat 6.2 using X windows based util.

6. HELP: Strange messages, when running backup

7. AMI Bios setup util

8. 2 harddisks BOOTING problems

9. Anyone have a simple PPP up/down util?

10. new xpaint, best PPP util, newbie tips, etc.

11. Util to measure ppp link throughpout ?

12. need util to verify my /etc/passwd integrity

13. Need util to mirror directory