Upgrade

Post by donol » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have FreeBSD 2.2.5.  I would like to upgrade using FTP.   To what server
do I FTP?  What file do I download and how to I make the install?
Donoli.

Upgrade

Post by Steven G. Kar » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I have FreeBSD 2.2.5.  I would like to upgrade using FTP.   To what server
> do I FTP?  What file do I download and how to I make the install?
> Donoli.

2.2.5 is really old.  I'm not sure that there is an easy
upgrade path.  I suggest

(1) backup any and all important data.  This could be to
    tape or spare hard drive.  I would also copy the contents
    of the /etc directory to a floppy disk to easy the aid in
    the configuration of the machine.

(2) Go to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/3.2-RELEASE/i386/floppies.
    The directories the the above URL might be a little out of order,
    but you should be able to find what you need.

(3) Download everthing in that directory especially the README.TXT file.

(4) Use dd to create new floppy disks.

(5) Install over the top of your 2.2.5.  Depending on your experience
    with FreeBSD installations you might be able to avoid overwrite
    some user data, but if you do step (1) just install.

--
Steve

Upgrade

Post by Kenneth Furg » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I have FreeBSD 2.2.5.  I would like to upgrade using FTP.   To what server
> do I FTP?  What file do I download and how to I make the install?
> Donoli.

You need to do a little research.  I suggest a little light reading at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook first.

- K.C.

Upgrade

Post by Ying Kwang T » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

steven's suggestion is very very good.  i personally tried using the
upgrade option and my BSD partition wont boot after that resulted
lost of data.

my 2 cents,
  ying kwang

> I have FreeBSD 2.2.5.  I would like to upgrade using FTP.   To what server
> do I FTP?  What file do I download and how to I make the install?
> Donoli.

1. schedule for upgrades and the Summer [was Re: Upgrades to OS]

I suspect many people will no longer be around after mid-May or so.
So I was thinking:  the best possibility would be if 1.0 were magically
available by then.  I don't think that's reasonable.  So perhaps
a ``final beta'' version could be released by then, with enough time to
spot any major gaffs, and then anyone who leaves in May will have a good
copy to use.  Then 1.0 would be put together in the Fall.

I don't know how many people will be away for the Summer, but if it
turns out to be a lot, that would make sense, it seems to me.

Comments?

-Joel

2. DEC-XTRAP extension for Solaris X server

3. To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question...

4. Opendesktop 5 and Graphics

5. Upgrading Solaris-Need to upgrade Progress?

6. socksified module

7. Solaris 8 upgrade using Live upgrade method

8. How can I make Linux NETWORKless and TCP/IPLess - ??

9. Kernel 2.2, to upgrade or not to upgrade???

10. Upgraded 1.0 - upgrade daemon

11. upgrade to 2.2 required libc5 upgrade?

12. 2.4 - to upgrade or not to upgrade

13. Does RedHat upgrade really upgrade including Caldera