apm -z vs apm -Z

Post by Harris Newma » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 07:22:58

Whats the difference between:
apm -z vs apm -Z

apm -z vs apm -Z

Post by john » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:07:25

> Whats the difference between:
> apm -z vs apm -Z

man apm

one's suspend mode, one is standby mode.

apm -z vs apm -Z

Post by Harris Newma » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 20:28:22

So whats the difference between standby and suspend?
-HN

> > Whats the difference between:
> > apm -z vs apm -Z

> man apm

> one's suspend mode, one is standby mode.

apm -z vs apm -Z

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 06:05:16

On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 11:28:22 GMT

HN> So whats the difference between standby and suspend?

        Suspend mode writes the system state to disc and switches (nearly)
everything off. Standby mode powers down everything to minimal power
consumption and keeps RAM contents where they are. Suspend will last
indefinitely, standby is limited to a few hours.

--
    Directable Mirrors - A Better Way To Focus The Sun

                        http://www.best.com/~sohara

1. PATCH: apm.c - detection of brokern APM Idle call implementation

Well, the following three-liners (+ comments) seems to do it. It checks
if clock was advanced after return from APM Idle - if not we assume BIOS
did not halt CPU and do it ourselves. The addidional condition &&
!current->need_resched is for the case when BIOS did halt CPU and
non-clock interrupt happened that waked up somebody else. But may be I
am just plain paranoid. The code has no impact for "BIOS slows CPU"
case.

It works here for broken BIOS. I appreciate if people with good BIOS
test it.

-andrej

  apm-idle-2.diff
< 1K Download

2. SO_KEEPALIVE & TCPTV_KEEP_IDLE

3. PATCH: apm.c - runtime parameter for APM Idle call

4. sys_sched_yield fast path

5. 2.4.19-ac1 and later: kernel BUG in apm.c:899 (SMP, apm=power-off)

6. f2c in SLS .98

7. APM vs. ACPI status detection

8. Solaris 5.8 system settings

9. PMU vs. APM on PowerBook G3