Problem building system kernel using FreeBSD 2.1

Problem building system kernel using FreeBSD 2.1

Post by Paul Kerse » Sat, 12 Apr 1997 04:00:00

  Hi folks,
 Last night I put a network card (Digital DE205-AC) in my computer
thats running FreeBSD 2.1.  I edited the system kernel to recognize
the new network card.  I ran though the "config" cammand without
errors.  But after starting the "make" command on the kernel I get
the following error message:

if_le.o: Undefined symbol `_ether_sprintf' referenced from text segment

*** Error code 1

Stop

I was able to compile a system kernel before wihtout the network card.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Post by Tony Griffith » Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>   Hi folks,
>  Last night I put a network card (Digital DE205-AC) in my computer
> thats running FreeBSD 2.1.  I edited the system kernel to recognize
> the new network card.  I ran though the "config" cammand without
> errors.  But after starting the "make" command on the kernel I get
> the following error message:

> if_le.o: Undefined symbol `_ether_sprintf' referenced from text segment

> *** Error code 1

> Stop

> I was able to compile a system kernel before wihtout the network card.

At the bottom of your system config file, do you have the entry-

pseudo-device   ether

This line is necessary to include the 'generic' Ethernet subroutines
which are used by the specific NIC drivers!

Tony

1. Problem: FreeBSD 2.1.5R loses routes when using IP aliasing

Hello,

I have a FreeBSD 2.1.5R server connected to a Cisco 2501 router and I
would like to set it up as a PPP server. I use the netmask
255.255.255.240 on my Class C, in order to have subnets of 14 hosts
each. Since I want to devote one subnet to the PPP clients, and
applying the rule (from the doc.) that PPP server and clients must be
on the same subnet, I started to define an IP alias for my FreeBSD's
ed0 [193.72.189.2], following the doc's suggestions. That is:

ifconfig ed0 inet 193.72.189.17 netmask 255.255.255.240 alias
route add -host 183.72.189.17 127.0.0.1 0

Everything seems to be working fine for a while, but then the FreeBSD
"looses" the route to the Cisco, since it expires.

Question: What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be *very* much appreciated!

Cleto Pescia

2. Apashe

3. Live Upgrde 2.1 and Veritas "awareness", and can swap be used of boot build?

4. Time frame for newest Slackware?

5. Announce: Kernel Build for 2.5, Release 2.1 is available

6. pcmcia and 3Com 574-TX card

7. RedHat 2.1 Install and new kernel build

8. Memory leak in kernel 2.2.x?

9. FreeBSD 2.1 Documentation and Installation of "Everything" to 2.1 Gig drive.

10. login.conf class system on FreeBSD 2.1-REL?

11. pthreads based on kernel managed threads for FreeBSD 2.1 almost ready

12. Welcome to kernel source tour (FreeBSD 2.1.5R and Linux 2.0.28)

13. System hangs under linux 2.1.9x and 2.1.1xx