Upgraded Freetype, now fonts in Mozilla look worse

Upgraded Freetype, now fonts in Mozilla look worse

Post by Scott I. Remic » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:37:27

No one responded, so I'm replying to myself. Maybe some screenshots will help.

First off, remember, this is what my Mozilla USED to look like:

http://vhost.dulug.duke.edu/~louie/screenshots/drc-desktop.png

In the following shot, note the font used in the menus and the location bar:

http://home.adelphia.net/~sremick/mozshot1.png

In the following shot, note the font used in the newsgroup list, the message
list (and again, the menus):

http://home.adelphia.net/~sremick/mozshot2.png

In the following shot, note the font used in the right pane (all that used to be
anti-aliased):

http://home.adelphia.net/~sremick/mozshot3.png

Any thoughts?

Post by Donn Mille » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:28:08

> In the following shot, note the font used in the right pane (all that
> used to be anti-aliased):

> http://home.adelphia.net/~sremick/mozshot3.png

I've got the exact opposite problem.  My Mozila fonts used to NOT be
anti-aliased, but when I upgraded Mozilla (and perhaps freetype), now
certain Mozilla fonts ARE anti-aliased.  I hate AA fonts on LCD screens.

If only there were some central X mechanism to turn these things off/on
at will.  Also, I wish Mozilla had a checkbox next to each font entry
which allows the user to turn on/off anti-aliasing.

Quote:>> I'm on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE running Mozilla 1.3a (20030116) from ports.
>> Fonts used to be beautiful, just like those shown here:

Which Mozilla port was this?  Was it mozilla-devel?  You might want to
try installing the "regular" Mozilla port (/usr/ports/www/mozilla), and
not mozilla-devel.  The version of Mozilla I'm using is 1.2.1, I think.

Quote:>> Not all fonts are like this, however. For example, the font being used
>> as I type this is ok. But the "Subject" and "Newsgroup" font is the
>> same as I describe. Also the menu font "File Edit View etc" is now poor.

Huh.  Same thing here.  Only certain fonts in Mozilla are anti-aliased.
  The others are not.  Why doesn't Mozilla have a checkbox next to each
fonts allowing one to turn off/on AA?

Post by Scott I. Remic » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:55:19

> Which Mozilla port was this?  Was it mozilla-devel?  You might want to
> try installing the "regular" Mozilla port (/usr/ports/www/mozilla), and
> not mozilla-devel.  The version of Mozilla I'm using is 1.2.1, I think.

Last I knew I had to build mozilla-devel to get AA fonts. The AA code wasn't
enabled in "mozilla". I think it was Marcus who told me this...

Post by Donn Mille » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:18:26

>> Which Mozilla port was this?  Was it mozilla-devel?  You might want to
>> try installing the "regular" Mozilla port (/usr/ports/www/mozilla),
>> and not mozilla-devel.  The version of Mozilla I'm using is 1.2.1, I
>> think.
> Last I knew I had to build mozilla-devel to get AA fonts. The AA code
> wasn't enabled in "mozilla". I think it was Marcus who told me this...

I think he may have it backwards.

Post by Scott I. Remic » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:08:09

>>> Which Mozilla port was this?  Was it mozilla-devel?  You might want
>>> to try installing the "regular" Mozilla port
>>> (/usr/ports/www/mozilla), and not mozilla-devel.  The version of
>>> Mozilla I'm using is 1.2.1, I think.

>> Last I knew I had to build mozilla-devel to get AA fonts. The AA code
>> wasn't enabled in "mozilla". I think it was Marcus who told me this...

> I think he may have it backwards.

Well, it wasn't from Marcus, but it was in November that I got this info, and
I've installed mozilla-devel on 3 machines since (incl this one) and gotten AA
fonts all throughout Moz.  I upgraded from 1.2a to 1.3a (using the patch diff
from Marcus) and my fonts remained intact. It wasn't until I did a portupgrade
-a which included freetype2.1.2 -> 2.1.3 that Mozilla fonts got mucked up.

I've noticed some key ports have new versions, I'm going to upgrade tonight and
see how I fare.

Upgraded Freetype, now fonts in Mozilla look worse

Didn't help, if anyone is still paying attention, I could use some advice.

Post by Donn Mille » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:09:24

> Didn't help, if anyone is still paying attention, I could use some advice.

I'll try installing the mozilla-devel port later on, and see if that
helps in my case.

1. Small fonts in Netscape? Mozilla is even worse!!!

I'm running Mandrake 6.0 at 1152x864 resolution.  The fonts in
Netscape were painfully small until I learned how to
modify /etc/X11/fs/config to fix it.

Last night I grabbed M13 build of Mozilla.  I'm really impressed
with how far Mozilla has come; it's packed with features and
appears to be stable (for an alpha).  But, the fonts in Mozilla
13 are even worse than they are in Netscape.  I adjusted the
font size under edit/preferences, but nothing seems to happen.

I could live with the small fonts on webpages, cause even though
they are small, I can make due.  What I can't handle is the tiny
fonts on the menus... I mean they are so tiny, even when I
alt+ctrl+(+) to 800x600 I still can't read them.   It's pathetic!

Is there a way to change the font size for the menus?

Also, is this as fast as Mozilla gets?  Netscape and even IE
(gasp) redraws pages 2-3 times faster after a window resize.
Does this have something to do with its development status, or
something else?  I hope the Mozilla team optimizes for speed
before 'beta' releases.

2. ATI Rage Pro under RedHat 5.2

3. Mozilla with Freetype in Solaris

4. Set_Prompt???

5. Making Mozilla fonts look like Konqueror

6. serial connection

7. Netscape - Mozilla Java plug-ins

8. How to exit the various shells?

9. How do I setup a FreeType Font Server for KDE ?????

10. Freetype fonts

11. Are there differences between freetype and X font server on XFree 4.3.0?

12. (fwd) FreeType beta released -- a portable TrueType font rendering engine

13. FreeType/TrueType fonts in XFree86 4.0