SoundBlaster Live Quad Speaker support?

SoundBlaster Live Quad Speaker support?

Post by Marc Quennevill » Wed, 15 May 2002 06:26:48



Hi everyone,

I am running freebsd 4.5 with a soundblaster live.  I have device pcm
compited into my kernel.  The sound works great in kde 3.0.  My only
problem is that I would like to be able to use both outputs in the
back of the soundcard.  I am only able to get sound of out the green
jack and not the black one.  Is there a way to unable the black jack
so that i can get sound out of both of my sets of speakers?

Thank you for your time.

Marc

 
 
 

SoundBlaster Live Quad Speaker support?

Post by Dave Pimlot » Wed, 15 May 2002 19:40:01



> problem is that I would like to be able to use both outputs in the
> back of the soundcard.  I am only able to get sound of out the green
> jack and not the black one.  Is there a way to unable the black jack
> so that i can get sound out of both of my sets of speakers?

Aren't there 3 stereo jacks (to support 5.1 speakers) ?

at the moment, only stereo sound is possible... unless you want to
(help) write the support for 5.1 :) I'm also waiting for 5.1
drivers...but my C programming skills are almost non-existent :(

Dave Pimlott.

 
 
 

SoundBlaster Live Quad Speaker support?

Post by Marc Quennevill » Thu, 16 May 2002 09:00:23


Heheh Dito!  I am not a programmer.  I am just a tech looking for
answers 8-)

Thank you for the answer though.  I shall await ever so patiently!
On Tue, 14 May 2002 10:40:01 +0000, Dave Pimlott



>> problem is that I would like to be able to use both outputs in the
>> back of the soundcard.  I am only able to get sound of out the green
>> jack and not the black one.  Is there a way to unable the black jack
>> so that i can get sound out of both of my sets of speakers?

>Aren't there 3 stereo jacks (to support 5.1 speakers) ?

>at the moment, only stereo sound is possible... unless you want to
>(help) write the support for 5.1 :) I'm also waiting for 5.1
>drivers...but my C programming skills are almost non-existent :(

>Dave Pimlott.

 
 
 

SoundBlaster Live Quad Speaker support?

Post by Adam K Kirchhof » Thu, 16 May 2002 09:54:37



> Heheh Dito!  I am not a programmer.  I am just a tech looking for
> answers 8-)
> Thank you for the answer though.  I shall await ever so patiently!

If you're really impatient, and don't mind spending a few dollars, the
commercial OSS drivers from 4Front support 4 speaker output...  

Check out www.opensound.com for more information.

Disclaimer:  I am in no way associated with 4Front.  I've used their
drivers on a number of computers with a couple different operating
systems, including FreeBSD.  Getting applications to use the correct
sound support can be problematic, and the drivers have issues with SMP
kernels under FreeBSD, but it certainly supports the feature you want.

Adam