Help with recommending FreeBSD compatible motherboard please

Help with recommending FreeBSD compatible motherboard please

Post by Mike » Wed, 07 May 2003 06:35:46

I wonder if somebody could please recommend a compatible motherboard
to use with FreeBSD please, preferably without onboard graphics or
LAN.  I intend to use a P4 Gb  FSB S478 processor with 512 Mb DDR
memory.  The reason I'm asking this is because my last setup used an
ASUS P4SC-E board using SiS6513C and SiS962Lchipsets with the same
processor and memory as above, and I couldn't get FreeBSD to install.
Many thanks.

Post by patpr » Wed, 07 May 2003 07:07:44

> I wonder if somebody could please recommend a compatible motherboard
> to use with FreeBSD please, preferably without onboard graphics or
> LAN.  I intend to use a P4 Gb  FSB S478 processor with 512 Mb DDR
> memory.  The reason I'm asking this is because my last setup used an
> ASUS P4SC-E board using SiS6513C and SiS962Lchipsets with the same
> processor and memory as above, and I couldn't get FreeBSD to install.
> Many thanks.

avoid SIS chipsets, and it should be ok. I run FreeBSD on an "old" ABIT
SA6R (intel chipset) and everything works ok.
current SIS chipset are not properly recognized by FreeBSD, and you have
to disable DMA completely in order to boot FreeBSD.

more comprehencive description of the problem (Subject: ATA problem with
FreeBSD on ASUS P4S533-E motherboard)

A patch exists that makes it possible to run FreeBSD on SIS chipset with
ATA100 :

patpro

Post by Mike » Thu, 08 May 2003 06:56:15

>> I wonder if somebody could please recommend a compatible motherboard
>> to use with FreeBSD please, preferably without onboard graphics or
>> LAN.  I intend to use a P4 Gb  FSB S478 processor with 512 Mb DDR
>> memory.  The reason I'm asking this is because my last setup used an
>> ASUS P4SC-E board using SiS6513C and SiS962Lchipsets with the same
>> processor and memory as above, and I couldn't get FreeBSD to install.
>> Many thanks.

>avoid SIS chipsets, and it should be ok. I run FreeBSD on an "old" ABIT
>SA6R (intel chipset) and everything works ok.
>current SIS chipset are not properly recognized by FreeBSD, and you have
>to disable DMA completely in order to boot FreeBSD.

>more comprehencive description of the problem (Subject: ATA problem with
>FreeBSD on ASUS P4S533-E motherboard)

>A patch exists that makes it possible to run FreeBSD on SIS chipset with
>ATA100 :
>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=43345

>patpro

Thanks very much for that info.  Ive been looking at the Intel
D845GEBV2/478 533FSB board.  Do you think that one would be
compatible?

Post by patpr » Thu, 08 May 2003 07:51:37

> >A patch exists that makes it possible to run FreeBSD on SIS chipset with
> >ATA100 :
> >   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=43345

> >patpro

> Thanks very much for that info.  Ive been looking at the Intel
> D845GEBV2/478 533FSB board.  Do you think that one would be
> compatible?

I never had any trouble with intel-based motherboards, but I can't say
about this particular model.

patpro

1. Please recommend to me a Linux-compatible video capture board

I am considering buying a video capture card for use with CUSeeMe under
Windoze, and was wondering if I can get a card that has Linux drivers
available, or at least programming information so that I could make my own
driver for it.

Is there a FAQ covering video capture cards for Linux?  Is there a Linux
version of CUSeeMe, or something like it?

Josh
--
______
\Josh/ Lehan

  \/   http://phoenix.csc.calpoly.edu/~jlehan/

2. Mach32.. still struggling.

3. Please help - FreeBSD 4.X and Motherboard / system error!

4. Compiling new kernel for IBM Valuepoint

5. Please recommend a Flex formfactor motherboard

6. dosemu

7. Help, I want to buy AMD but FreeBSD recommends Intel...

8. Term problems : 'gethostbyname' and no socket

9. HELP: Please recommend "best" EISA SCSI card!

10. Red Hat 7.0 Recommend patches question - Please help

11. REQ: Recommend compatible PCI hardware for Linux 2.0.xx

12. Recommended Linux-compatible laserprinter, inkjet?

13. Recommend linux compatible video card.