syslogd logging data from router

Post by Larry Snyd » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I have 2.2.5 installed and am having problems with syslog logging
data from my router.

Using syslogd in the debug mode (ie: syslogd -d) I can see that
indeed the information is getting from the router to the host,
however it is not being logged to a file.

Any ideas?

Post by J Wuns » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Using syslogd in the debug mode (ie: syslogd -d) I can see that
> indeed the information is getting from the router to the host,
> however it is not being logged to a file.

Well, check the connection matrix in -d mode, and see why it doesn't
get logged.

--
cheers, J"org

1. 4.7, syslogd and remote router logging

I setup a FreeBSD 4.7 server to be a syslog server for a network with nodes
around the globe.  We started with a test to collect syslog messages from
just one router in the Middle East.  We entered the following line in the
syslog.conf file:

local5.debug    /var/log/router.log

and started syslogd using the following command:

/usr/sbin/syslogd -a 10.10.10.2

No logging occurred even though the documentation for syslogd indicates this
is the way to collect log entries from a remote system.

Since the -s option (to disable logging from external sources) is the
default, we entered syslogd_flags="" in the rc.conf file.

It still did not log the entries from the remote.

When we removed the "-a 10.10.10.2" from the command to start the syslogd
service it started working.  However, we had to shut down syslogd and
restart it before it would work.  kill -HUP 'cat /var/run/syslog.pid' would
not restart syslogd in a working state.  The only way was to kill syslogd
completely and start it without command line parameters.

At that point the logging started immediately.

1. Enter services to be logged in the syslog.conf file.

2. Override the "-s" option in /etc/default/rc.conf by entering
syslogd_flags-"" in the /etc/rc.conf file.

3. Start /usr/sbin/syslogd without command line parameters.

This works.

--

Mike Todd
Director, Engineering, GServices www.gservices.info

President, Mike Todd Associates www.MikeTodd.com
Supporting the Digital Coast

President, Internet Society Los Angeles Chapter www.ISOC-LosAngeles.org

Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology Law
Pepperdine University Law School

2. PCMCIA modem setup

3. syslogd got me stumped (trying to log Cisco router messages)

4. how to mounting floppy drive in OpenBSD2.6

5. syslogd (FreeBSD) not logging routing data

6. lpd broken flock()emulation

7. HEADS-UP: syslogd might lose log data

8. known bugs in utime(2) or touch(1)? (Solaris 2.4)

9. syslogd is filling my /var/log/messages with data received from the net (through ppp) ???

10. printk performance logging without syslogd for router

11. syslogd not logging from router

12. syslogd does not log ip-packet-logs any more

13. How to copy data from serial port to a file (data logging) ?