Can you create your own custom boot floppy?

Can you create your own custom boot floppy?

Post by grac.. » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:20:08



I'm new to FreeBSD, so forgive me if this is a simple question.

I've got a 4.5 install on my laptop, but I need to do some playing
around w/ my MBR so I want to make a boot floppy to ensure that I can
get back into it no matter what.

I know how to do it in linux, but this isn't exactly linux.  Can someone
point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

-Charlie
--
GPG Key fingerprint = 4F36 EC4F 2F2C 5F59 9690  09E5 4C0F 9DB0 8623 53CE

 
 
 

Can you create your own custom boot floppy?

Post by annel.. » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 11:29:19



> I'm new to FreeBSD, so forgive me if this is a simple question.
> I've got a 4.5 install on my laptop, but I need to do some playing
> around w/ my MBR so I want to make a boot floppy to ensure that I can
> get back into it no matter what.
> I know how to do it in linux, but this isn't exactly linux.  Can someone
> point me in the right direction?

Try the fixit.flp image, created as you create kern.flp or mfsroot.flp.
Or download the image from the ftp site, and (on your FreeBSD machine)
type

dd if=fixit.flp of=/dev/fd0

Then boot the machine with the fixit.flp in the drive.  You will have
an opportunity to specify where to boot from, so put in something like:

0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader

This should boot FreeBSD from your hard drive.  If it works, write
it down--the fixit.flp is not bootable by itself, but this works for
me to boot from the hard drive using a floppy, thus bypassing the MBR.

        Annelise
--
Annelise Anderson
Author of:               FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC
Available from:  BSDmall.com and amazon.com
Book Website:    http://www.bittreepress.com/FreeBSD/introbook/      

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of:               FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC
Available from:  BSDmall.com and amazon.com
Book Website:    http://www.bittreepress.com/FreeBSD/introbook/      

 
 
 

Can you create your own custom boot floppy?

Post by John Nielse » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 16:25:16




> > I'm new to FreeBSD, so forgive me if this is a simple question.

> > I've got a 4.5 install on my laptop, but I need to do some playing
> > around w/ my MBR so I want to make a boot floppy to ensure that I can
> > get back into it no matter what.

> > I know how to do it in linux, but this isn't exactly linux.  Can someone
> > point me in the right direction?

> Try the fixit.flp image, created as you create kern.flp or mfsroot.flp.
> Or download the image from the ftp site, and (on your FreeBSD machine)
> type

> dd if=fixit.flp of=/dev/fd0

> Then boot the machine with the fixit.flp in the drive.  You will have
> an opportunity to specify where to boot from, so put in something like:

> 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader

> This should boot FreeBSD from your hard drive.  If it works, write
> it down--the fixit.flp is not bootable by itself, but this works for
> me to boot from the hard drive using a floppy, thus bypassing the MBR.

This trick also works with the mfsroot floppy, as I've discovered by failing
to remove same from the drive after an install.

JN

 
 
 

Can you create your own custom boot floppy?

Post by Mike Sco » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 17:27:35


On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 07:25:16 GMT, "John Nielsen"

...

Quote:>> Then boot the machine with the fixit.flp in the drive.  You will have
>> an opportunity to specify where to boot from, so put in something like:

>> 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader

>> This should boot FreeBSD from your hard drive.  If it works, write
>> it down--the fixit.flp is not bootable by itself, but this works for
>> me to boot from the hard drive using a floppy, thus bypassing the MBR.

>This trick also works with the mfsroot floppy, as I've discovered by failing
>to remove same from the drive after an install.

ditto here.  But I don't recall seeing the syntax for this stuff
anywhere.  Pointers anyone please?

--
Please use the corrected version of the address below for replies.
Replies to the header address will be junked, as will mail from
various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)  

 
 
 

Can you create your own custom boot floppy?

Post by Lowell Gilber » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 22:42:46



> On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 07:25:16 GMT, "John Nielsen"

> ...
> >> Then boot the machine with the fixit.flp in the drive.  You will have
> >> an opportunity to specify where to boot from, so put in something like:

> >> 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader

> >> This should boot FreeBSD from your hard drive.  If it works, write
> >> it down--the fixit.flp is not bootable by itself, but this works for
> >> me to boot from the hard drive using a floppy, thus bypassing the MBR.

> >This trick also works with the mfsroot floppy, as I've discovered by failing
> >to remove same from the drive after an install.

> ditto here.  But I don't recall seeing the syntax for this stuff
> anywhere.  Pointers anyone please?

man 8 boot
 
 
 

Can you create your own custom boot floppy?

Post by Mike Sco » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 01:17:19


On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 13:42:46 GMT, Lowell Gilbert



...
>> ditto here.  But I don't recall seeing the syntax for this stuff
>> anywhere.  Pointers anyone please?

>man 8 boot

Ta muchly - I'll know next time.  man pages aren't very accessible
when the only system you've got won't (yet) get past the "boot:"
prompt :-)

--
Please use the corrected version of the address below for replies.
Replies to the header address will be junked, as will mail from
various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)  

 
 
 

Can you create your own custom boot floppy?

Post by John Nielse » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 03:20:16



> On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 13:42:46 GMT, Lowell Gilbert


> ...
> >> ditto here.  But I don't recall seeing the syntax for this stuff
> >> anywhere.  Pointers anyone please?

> >man 8 boot

> Ta muchly - I'll know next time.  man pages aren't very accessible
> when the only system you've got won't (yet) get past the "boot:"
> prompt :-)

If you have a working system _somewhere_, you can always access the manpages
online:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?manpath=FreeBSD+4.5-RELEASE

JN

 
 
 

1. Create custom boot floppies for 3.4

Hi

I must create my custom boot floppy with a special kernel, so I took
the 3.4 kernel floppy and replaced the 'kernel.gz' file with
my new kernel.

My problem is, when it starts up with this floppy the system
does not ask for the mfsroot.flp so the kernel will panic at
the of probing...

Is there somewhere the originial 3.4 kernel config file which
I may adapt?

Or what am I missing?

Thanks
Reto

2. Help setting up Dumb Terminal

3. Making custom boot floppies without a floppy.

4. script involving timestamp comparison.

5. create your own GNU/Linux distro on 3 floppies

6. syslog on network

7. create your own GNU/linux distribution on 3 floppies

8. colour on terminal

9. Creating your own redhat or mandrake install floppy?

10. Can't create lilo boot floppy for 3rd SCSI disk but can boot it

11. How to create custom boot disks?

12. Making a custom boot floppy

13. Cannot install LILO bootloader or create custom boot disk