Adaptec AHA-2940AU problem

Post by K.. » Sun, 12 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.5, the installation can not find any SCSI
devices connected to the card. Is there a special driver or switch
necessary to get things working?
DOS / WIN95 work just fine.

o 6x86 P-166+
o 32 MB RAM
o Adaptec AHA 2940AU  (ID 7)     PCI
o IOMega JAZ          (ID 0)
o Seagate ST15150N    (ID 1)
o NEC CDR-222 4x (CD) (ID 4)
o ViewTop S3/64+ (VGA)           PCI
o SoundBlaster 32 PnP            ISA
o DLINK DE-220 CAT               ISA

Kurt
--

                           http.//www.pinboard.com/kurt/

Adaptec AHA-2940AU problem

Post by Taras Dowhalu » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.5, the installation can not find any SCSI
> devices connected to the card. Is there a special driver or switch
> necessary to get things working?
> DOS / WIN95 work just fine.

> etc.........

kurt,

I had the same problem. Loaded 2.1.6 from ftp.freebsd.org and all is OK.

Taras Dowhaluk
Visiondb Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia

http://www.visiondb.com.au

Adaptec AHA-2940AU problem

Post by Fon » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>> Trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.5, the installation can not find any SCSI
>> devices connected to the card. Is there a special driver or switch
>> necessary to get things working?
>> DOS / WIN95 work just fine.

>> etc.........
>kurt,
>I had the same problem. Loaded 2.1.6 from ftp.freebsd.org and all is OK.

Here's what I've found with an AHA2940AU.

On cold boot, devices are scanned correctly.

On warm boot or reset, devices are not found.

Just what is the difference between the 2940U and 2940AU anyway?  This
cold boot versus warm boot thing isn't so bad but it will make it a
pain to remotely reboot a server.
--

Adaptec AHA-2940AU problem

   Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
   Date: 23 Jan 1997 21:11:15 -0600

   >> Trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.5, the installation can not find any SCSI
   >> devices connected to the card. Is there a special driver or switch
   >> necessary to get things working?
   >> DOS / WIN95 work just fine.
   >>
   >> etc.........

   >kurt,

   >I had the same problem. Loaded 2.1.6 from ftp.freebsd.org and all is OK.

   Here's what I've found with an AHA2940AU.

   On cold boot, devices are scanned correctly.

   On warm boot or reset, devices are not found.

   Just what is the difference between the 2940U and 2940AU anyway?  This
   cold boot versus warm boot thing isn't so bad but it will make it a
   pain to remotely reboot a server.
   --

I have seen this problem many times over the years.  Some pieces of iron
need a hardware reset signal to be *truly* reset.  Soft reset does not cut it.

                        "Tundra" Tim Daneliuk
                    System Architect, Nets Inc.

                       Voice/FAX: 847.827.1706
                         Pager: 630.223.0266

Adaptec AHA-2940AU problem

Post by Taras Dowhalu » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

snip...

snip, snip...

>    >kurt,

>    >I had the same problem. Loaded 2.1.6 from ftp.freebsd.org and all is OK.

>    Here's what I've found with an AHA2940AU.

>    On cold boot, devices are scanned correctly.

>    On warm boot or reset, devices are not found.

>    Just what is the difference between the 2940U and 2940AU anyway?  This
>    cold boot versus warm boot thing isn't so bad but it will make it a
>    pain to remotely reboot a server.
>    --

> I have seen this problem many times over the years.  Some pieces of iron
> need a hardware reset signal to be *truly* reset.  Soft reset does not cut it.
> I therefore never trust anything but a hard reset from the front of the machine.
> --

snip, snip...

Well now here is some more funny stuff (and I'm laughing). I've attached
an Iomega Jaz SCSI drive. The AHA2940AU has term=autoterm, 2 IBM drives
scsi ids 0 and 1 on the internal chain, id 1 is the last and has
term=on.
Jaz is on the external chain, term=auto and Windows NT3.51 boots just
fine,
happy as a pig in.

BUT, FreeBSD gets SCSISIGI errors. So to boot FreeBSD, set AHA2940AU to
term=disabled, set JAZ term=OFF and FreeBSD boots OK and so does NT.
I've made a filesystem on the Jaz and have used it for backups, not bad.

NOW, power the whole lot off, wait a few minutes, power up and all is
still OK.
BUT power down and wait 'till the next morning (or a few hours)
and now the AHA2049AU can't boot from any devices but it can see them
because
I can verify media. So we play the "power up/down disconnect/connect the
Jaz
combination" shuffle until something works. Its never the same
combination.

Is there a capacitor in there that takes a few hours to discharge ?

--

regards, taras

Taras M. Dowhaluk
VisionDB Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia

http://www.visiondb.com.au

1. Adaptec AHA-2940AU (AIC-7861) patch

Hi,

for those of you who just experienced the same surprise
as me when trying to upgrade to a well supported SCSI
host adapter (at least that was what I thought) and found
out that Linux doesn't recognize it, I've put a (admitedly
trivial) patch against linux-2.0.2x that makes the aic7xxx
driver and pci code recognize the AHA-2940AU (note the AU)
Ultra SCSI controler on majestix.av.rwth-aachen.de ftp
server.

This controler seems to be the non-OEM/mainboard variant
sold as kit in a retail box of the already supported
AIC-7860 (== AIC-7850 Ultra) chip, identifying with
PCI ID 7861.

Ari

2. Network driver and Powermac 5500

3. Adaptec AHA-2940AU and 2940U

4. NIS Alternative

5. Is the Adaptec AHA-2940AU supported ?

6. Configuring uucp

7. Adaptec AHA-2940AU - Getting It to Work

8. Can't seem to mount vfat as rw

9. Adaptec AHA-2940AU - Is there support for it?

10. Problem with aha-2940au

11. aha-2940au installation problems

12. Problem with AHA-2940AU

13. AHA-2940AU Problems