Decent IDE controller.

Post by David Coque » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:01:51

I need to add a couple of extra IDE channels to a motherboard (i440BX)
so I can do software raid.  Is there a particular chipset I should look
for?  Highpoint, Promise and Silicon Image seem to be the most readily
available and I don't want to plunk down $150 for a 3Ware card.

What is best supported by freebsd?

Thanks

Decent IDE controller.

Post by Vadim K » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:24:15

I'm using HPT370. No problems faced. Motheboard - Chaintech 6BTM 440BX.
Don't know about "best supported". :)

/**Vadim*/

Quote:

> I need to add a couple of extra IDE channels to a motherboard (i440BX)
> so I can do software raid.  Is there a particular chipset I should look
> for?  Highpoint, Promise and Silicon Image seem to be the most readily
> available and I don't want to plunk down $150 for a 3Ware card.

> What is best supported by freebsd?

> Thanks

Decent IDE controller.

Post by Rob MacGrego » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:40:03

> I need to add a couple of extra IDE channels to a motherboard (i440BX)
> so I can do software raid.  Is there a particular chipset I should look
> for?  Highpoint, Promise and Silicon Image seem to be the most readily
> available and I don't want to plunk down $150 for a 3Ware card.

My personal experience of the Promise cards is that it shouldn't be hard
to do better.  I'm decidedly unimpressed with them to date.

--
   Rob MacGregor (BOFH)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
       The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

        Real email address is at Hotmail.  Put _ between my names.