Keyboard-less boot loader trouble, 2nd round...

Keyboard-less boot loader trouble, 2nd round...

Post by Cruinn » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:58:09

A couple of days ago I posted a message talking about my problem booting
FreeBSD 4.7 on a correctly BIOS-configured 486 without a keyboard
(problem which didn't exist booting neither DOS nor Linux). This
message, called "FreeBSD won't boot without a keyboard", was posted on
11/19.

My description of the problem then was simply that just before BTX
started to print anything on my screen, the system hanged if I had no
keyboard attached to it.

Solutions offered were about kernel atkbdc0 flags, placing "/boot/loader
-h" or "-P" in /boot.config, and so on...

None of these worked for me (thanks a lot to all who tried, anyway). The
kernel-related ones because the problem was BEFORE loading the kernel.
The boot loader ones... well, just because the problem turned out to be
even before executing /boot/loader...

But now I have made a couple of changes to my system and I'm able to get
to the point of the problem more precisely:

THE HANG HAPPENS WHEN LOADING THE 2nd STAGE OF THE BOOT LOADER.

I know this because, in my desperation, I finally installed GRUB as my
system's boot loader, and made it boot my FreeBSD through its stage1,
ffsstage1_5 and stage2.

Fortunately, GRUB is more verbose than BTX, and so I know now that the
hang happens when the ffsstage1_5 has loaded stage2 and is trying to
execute it.

The fact is GRUB can boot my FreeBSD correctly when the keyboard is
attached!

Isn't this just STRANGE?

Please, I'm really desperate. Any BIOS-, MBR- or memory-related ideas?

Any ideas, whatever the relation?

Just for further information: My motherboard is a Pc-Chips M915i with
real external cach.

Thanks a lot for your patience with this unfortunate newbie...

Cruinne.

1. boot loader not showing up; installed boot loader record on /dev/hda2

Hello,
I installed Red Hat 7.3 but installed boot loader record on the first
sector of boot partition (/dev/hda2) instead of /dev/hda Master boot
record. When I restarted my laptop after installation, Grub did not
appear and Windows XP home edition loaded. I am guessing this happened
because I installed Grub in /dev/hda2. How do I go to linux? How do I
copy the bootloader from /dev/hda2 to MBR? Thanks.

2. Mod_perl installation on RH6 - HELP

3. Can linux boot on a keyboard and monitor-less network machine?

4. Solaris 2.6, CDE, and spontaneous logouts

5. k8dmaster2 & keyboard-less operation

6. Failed first boot - R5 on 7200/90

7. Help with restoring /boot/loader.rc & loader.conf files please

8. Intelligent filter for printing under Solaris 2.5 ?

9. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

10. The Linux CDROM Giveaway, 2nd Round

11. Q: Install LILO on 2nd HD, remove 1st hd, boot from 2nd?

12. round & round with Lilo

13. Dual booting Windoze 95 and Linux with Quantum Dynamic Boot Loader Installed