Howto get ppp started earlier than the internet programs

Howto get ppp started earlier than the internet programs

Post by Mark Worsdal » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:22:57

Hi,

At the moment we start our internet connection at boot in rc.local by
executing:-

/usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -auto demon

The problem is things like netdate and the like expect internet access
but they are all run/started from rc.conf

So where should I put /usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -auto demon to start it
earlier, can I put it in rc.conf.

Also is rc.conf orderable, by that I mean can I re-order the start order
of the rc.conf contents?

M.

--
Work:- postmasterAThinwick.demon.co.uk  WEB:- http://www.hinwick.demon.co.uk

Home:- hinwickATworsdall.demon.co.uk    WEB:- http://www.wizdom.org.uk
Shadow:- webmasterATshadow.org.uk       WEB:- http://www.shadow.org.uk

Howto get ppp started earlier than the internet programs

Post by Mark Worsdal » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:28:24

Quote:>Hi,

>At the moment we start our internet connection at boot in rc.local by
>executing:-

>/usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -auto demon

>The problem is things like netdate and the like expect internet access
>but they are all run/started from rc.conf

>So where should I put /usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -auto demon to start it
>earlier, can I put it in rc.conf.

>Also is rc.conf orderable, by that I mean can I re-order the start
>order of the rc.conf contents?

Freebsd 4.2

The contents of /etc/rc.conf do include:-

ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="auto"
ppp_nat="NO"
ppp_profile="demon"

--

Post by Jaso » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 05:52:52

> So where should I put /usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -auto demon to start it
> earlier, can I put it in rc.conf.

If you have one of the newer versions of FreeBSD, you can start ppp from
your /etc/rc.conf file with commands something like this.

ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="auto"
ppp_nat="yes"
ppp_profile="demon"

Check your /etc/defaults/rc.conf file for details: 'cat
/etc/defaults/rc.conf|grep ppp'.
ntpdate will still have to wait for the connection to come up before it
can set the date, but it should trigger a dialup-connection.

Quote:

> Also is rc.conf orderable, by that I mean can I re-order the start
> order of the rc.conf contents?

I don't think you can change the load order without editing the
/etc/rc.network script. As far as I can tell, the  /etc/rc.conf file
just passes variables to the rc.network script.  I probably would _NOT_
edit the rc.network script.

Jason

#####
Whether your a FreeBSD newbie or just want to be one for a day,
checkout my new website. It has newbie written all over it!

Chucktips - Newbie Friendly
http://lantech.geekvenue.net/chucktips

Howto get ppp started earlier than the internet programs

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 05:41:09

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:22:57 +0100

MW> Hi,
MW>
MW> At the moment we start our internet connection at boot in rc.local by
MW> executing:-
MW>
MW> /usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -auto demon
MW>
MW> The problem is things like netdate and the like expect internet access
MW> but they are all run/started from rc.conf

        You might be better starting some or all of these from /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup
and perhaps (depending on the program in quesiton) killing them in
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown. That way they run when you have a connection instead
of forcing a connection. It depends on what things you are running which is
best of course.

MW> Also is rc.conf orderable, by that I mean can I re-order the start order
MW> of the rc.conf contents?

        rc.conf just contains definitions used by the various rc scripts it
has no order. Altering the order in rc or rc.network is possible but probably
unwise - it has been carefully worked out.

--
    Directable Mirrors - A Better Way To Focus The Sun

                        http://www.best.com/~sohara

Post by Mark Worsdal » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 07:45:48

>> So where should I put /usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -auto demon to start it
>>earlier, can I put it in rc.conf.

>If you have one of the newer versions of FreeBSD, you can start ppp
>from your /etc/rc.conf file with commands something like this.

>ppp_enable="YES"
>ppp_mode="auto"
>ppp_nat="yes"
>ppp_profile="demon"

>Check your /etc/defaults/rc.conf file for details: 'cat
>/etc/defaults/rc.conf|grep ppp'.
>ntpdate will still have to wait for the connection to come up before it
>can set the date, but it should trigger a dialup-connection.

>> Also is rc.conf orderable, by that I mean can I re-order the start
>>order of the rc.conf contents?

>I don't think you can change the load order without editing the
>/etc/rc.network script. As far as I can tell, the  /etc/rc.conf file
>just passes variables to the rc.network script.  I probably would _NOT_
>edit the rc.network script.

>Jason

>#####
>Whether your a FreeBSD newbie or just want to be one for a day,
>checkout my new website. It has newbie written all over it!

I have:-

ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="auto"
ppp_nat="no"
ppp_profile="demon"

and as it turns out rc.conf does start the modem, but not in time, in
that ntpdate timesout and does not cause a dialup.

Now maybe this is due to the firewall, so what I have done is this:-
/etc/rc.conf
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_logging="YES"
# Later on during boot rc.d/firewall.sh runs our proper firewall
firewall_type="open"

So during boot any access from the internet will be allowed, allowing
the modem to dialup, like when ntpdate is run by rc.conf

In my rc.d I have firewall.sh that runs the firewall script that I want
to be run which has all our tightend up rules.

For some reason rc.conf won't run our firewall script, I must have it
set wrong, if anyone can advise me on the correct rc.conf parameters
that will work for a firewall script called /usr/local/etc/firewall then
let me now.

I have tried:-

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_logging="YES"
firewall_type="/usr/local/etc/firewall"

but the just ipfw parameters are shown, yet If I type
/usr/local/etc/firewall the firewall works fine.

M.

--
Work:- postmasterAThinwick.demon.co.uk  WEB:- http://www.hinwick.demon.co.uk

Home:- hinwickATworsdall.demon.co.uk    WEB:- http://www.wizdom.org.uk
Shadow:- webmasterATshadow.org.uk       WEB:- http://www.shadow.org.uk

1. !!Getting rid of auto start programs at start/Dialing up freeserve!!

is there a way to get rid of those nasty startup proggies as soon as you log
in...i think its the redhathat help browser, and midnight commander that
start first...
also how do i dialup to freeserve...i found a diaup program in the
menu's...i set that up but i get errors connecting...in windoze the diamond
56k modem is on com3, but i tried that for linux and it doesnt appear to
agree with me?
how can i tell what port its on...
there is a modem in the dialup bit..when i click delete, then close it, it
magically re-appears again..is there a way to reconfigure the settings i
chose when it first detected the modem?
or could someone tell me the steps to setting up an internet connection..the
only thing i think i will need is the DNS of freeserve..i have my login info
and telephone number already

thanx for listening to my ramblings, but i cant find any info in the help
screens.

Adam

2. Linux reference!

3. Getting programs to start when X starts?

4. Linux Clusters

5. program to detect PPP idle and start another program

6. diplogin

7. UserPPP + perl program on start - HowTo ?

8. Proper network settings for dialup IP connection?

9. Getting a return code of an earlier command

10. Where to look, getting started with programming

11. Fortran Programming, getting started

12. getting started network programming

13. Help: Getting start with Sever-client programming