remote ftp connection freezes ...

Post by John Willia » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

My ftp connection works fine on outgoing connections--whether from
the command line or with lynx.

However, whenever I access my machine from a remote location with ftp,
the connection to my machine seems to start up fine, but when I
begin to get or put a file, especially a large file, the connection
freezes within several seconds of beginning the transfer.

This freezing happens with FreeBSD and Linux, so I'm beginning to suspect
that this may be a firewall issue with my provider, but I wanted to ask
if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, how you've managed to
work around it.

Thanks in advance.

John Williams

Post by Kenneth Furg » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> My ftp connection works fine on outgoing connections--whether from
> the command line or with lynx.

> However, whenever I access my machine from a remote location with ftp,
> the connection to my machine seems to start up fine, but when I
> begin to get or put a file, especially a large file, the connection
> freezes within several seconds of beginning the transfer.

Try disabling tcp_extensions.  Turn them off with:

  sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0
  sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1644=0

and if that works, set tcp_extensions="NO" in your /etc/rc.conf file.

- K.C.

1. remote connection freezes RH 7.2

Hi

I posted this on RH misc site but thought maybe it should go here.

I have a RH 7.2 box at my lab that I ssh into from home.  Whenever I run
long processes (specifically with a lot of screen output) my connection
stops responding and when I go to the lab the computer itself does not
respond to mouse or kb and i have to reset.  I thought at first it may be a
ssh problem since this seems to have started after I upgraded to the latest
security fix.  But, if I telnet in, this also happens. NOTE, of particular
importance is that this never happens when I execute locally on the machine.
Any ideas / questions?

Here are some HW / SW specs:

RH 7.2 (latest rpm kernel and glibc and ssh)
running IPCHAINS not IPTABLES for firewall

+ Tyan Tiger 2460 MP
+ 2 Athalon XP 1800 (see note above b4 you try to say it is the XPs or the
MB b/c this has worked fine for 2 months of solid 24-7 SEADAS processing)
+ 4 sticks of 256 MB DDR (I don't remember the brand here but it was on
tyans list)
+ 3com 3c905b NIC
+ 2 45 GB WD HD (on MB controllers)
+ 2 100GB WD attached to a Promise ATA100
+ 350 W PS
+ those really good copper heatsinks and coolers
+ more ?

I think it may be something with the kernel upgrade or ssh upgrade, I have
no proof of this except that it has only started since then.  What about
ipchains?  Is there any limitation to thruput?

any comments would be appreciated
daben

2. UNIX Capacity Planning and Performance Management

3. ppp connection freezes on ftp

4. RH Linux 5.1 Problems

5. ftp: connection closed by remote host ??

6. gdb doesn't stop at break point

7. A Strange - 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection - problem for Linux ftp client.

8. Yahoo Account Access

9. FTP from remote host to 7.1 system, connection refused

10. Help - TELNET / FTP connection closed by remote host

11. ftp 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

12. Freeze freeze freeze..

13. FTP from remote server to 2nd remote server?