FreeBSD-3.0, install from one HDD to another, HELP!

FreeBSD-3.0, install from one HDD to another, HELP!

Post by <phoren.. » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Ok, I have one 9.1GB Seagate drive formated under FAT32 running Windows98,
it also has the FreeBSD files on it.  I also have another drive that is a
2.5GB unformatted Quantum and I want to install FreeBSD-3.0 onto it.  Now,
do I have to format the Quantum using microsofts fdisk and then do a
c:\>format d: on it?  Or will the type of fdisk in FreeBSD do it for me?
When I want to install it, it will take it from the 9.1GB drive and install
it onto the 2.5GB drive, leaving the 9.1GB drive alone as far as formatting
concerns, right?  So, when I'm done installing, I want to have my 9.1Gb
drive as a DOS(FAT32, Windows 98) partition running Win98, and the 2.5Gb
drive running FreeBSD.  Now, how do I choose which OS I want to boot?
LinuxLoader(lilo)?
Please help me get this set up, please!
One more question, in the documents it states that the HDD's are mounted
with an "s" in the name, ex. -mount  /dev/wd0s1 .  I'm assuming the "0"
after the "wd" is the drive number (in my case drive 1 or 2) and the "s" is
for the partition (partition 1 would be "s1", part. 2 would be "s2").  Am I
correct?
This is kinda new to me cuz ive worked with linux a little bit.
I GREATLY appreciate any help given.  Thank You

Post by Kenneth Furg » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Ok, I have one 9.1GB Seagate drive formated under FAT32 running Windows98,
> it also has the FreeBSD files on it.  I also have another drive that is a
> 2.5GB unformatted Quantum and I want to install FreeBSD-3.0 onto it.  Now,
> do I have to format the Quantum using microsofts fdisk and then do a
> c:\>format d: on it?  Or will the type of fdisk in FreeBSD do it for me?
> When I want to install it, it will take it from the 9.1GB drive and install
> it onto the 2.5GB drive, leaving the 9.1GB drive alone as far as formatting
> concerns, right?  So, when I'm done installing, I want to have my 9.1Gb
> drive as a DOS(FAT32, Windows 98) partition running Win98, and the 2.5Gb
> drive running FreeBSD.  Now, how do I choose which OS I want to boot?
> LinuxLoader(lilo)?

Let FreeBSD take care of everything.  You don't need dos in any way when
setting up the system like you want.  Make sure you install the FreeBSD
boot manager on both disks so that you can easily switch between them
when you boot up.  Besides rewriting the boot block, your 9GB disk will
remain untouched.  Lilo is for Linux and is not used by FreeBSD.

Quote:> Please help me get this set up, please!
> One more question, in the documents it states that the HDD's are mounted
> with an "s" in the name, ex. -mount  /dev/wd0s1 .  I'm assuming the "0"
> after the "wd" is the drive number (in my case drive 1 or 2) and the "s" is
> for the partition (partition 1 would be "s1", part. 2 would be "s2").  Am I
> correct?

In FreeBSD, drive numbers start at 0.  Your drives will be wd0 and wd1.
The "s" refers to the slice.  Slices are equivalent to dos's
partitions.  The letter following the slice number refers to the FreeBSD
partition.  You can have multiple FreeBSD partitions residing within a
slice.  So, digesting wd0s1a results in ==> wd==ide hdd, 0==first disk,
s1==first slice(dos partition), a==root FreeBSD partition.
Historically, the "a" partition (not dos partition, now, FreeBSD
partition) is the root partition and mounted on /, "b" is your swap, "c"
covers the *entire* disk (leave alone in most cases), e+ are additional
partitions and mounted on /var, /usr, etc.

- K.C.

1. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FREEBSD-3.0, INSTALL FROM ONE HDD TO ANOTHER, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[...]

2. gdm

3. Dual OS on one hdd: Win95 or Linux on the first partition?

4. 01 Help or advice

5. Install Redhat 7 on existing install with large HDD, please help

6. Anyone here compile/use SEQ on FreeBSD

7. installing a new HDD[NEWBIE]{FreeBSD 4.4}

8. Chat script won't work!

9. Installing FreeBSD on 2nd hdd

10. Replacing old HDD with new bigger HDD, Please help me!

11. Help me please! FreeBSD 3.4 & HDD 13Gb

12. first time installing, need help with partitioning and install

13. Installing two copies of FreeBSD on one disk