Can't link to Samba from Windows(beginner)

Can't link to Samba from Windows(beginner)

Post by MotorMa » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:53:27

I have installed Samba version 2.2.2 in a BSD box and at startup smbd and
nmbd seem to start fine from rc.local.

I am also running telnetd and ftpd from the BSD box which work fine so I
know my connectivity is ok.

I can see the workgroup from w2k File Explorer but I can't map it.  I get a
message saying
"the account is not athorized to log in from this station" .
What does this mean and what am I doing wrong?

I did setup an explicit section in smb.conf for file sharing:

[MyDir]
  Comment= shared dir
  path = /usr/home/MotorMan
  valid users=MotorMan
  public=yes
  printable = no

For mapping I use \\192.168.0.3\MyDir .

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MotorMan

Can't link to Samba from Windows(beginner)

Post by Nate Dennin » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 04:24:28

Have you set a password for user MotorMan with smbpasswd on the BSD box?

> I have installed Samba version 2.2.2 in a BSD box and at startup smbd and
> nmbd seem to start fine from rc.local.

> I am also running telnetd and ftpd from the BSD box which work fine so I
> know my connectivity is ok.

> I can see the workgroup from w2k File Explorer but I can't map it.  I get
> a message saying
> "the account is not athorized to log in from this station" .
> What does this mean and what am I doing wrong?

> I did setup an explicit section in smb.conf for file sharing:

> [MyDir]
>   Comment= shared dir
>   path = /usr/home/MotorMan
>   valid users=MotorMan
>   public=yes
>   printable = no

> For mapping I use \\192.168.0.3\MyDir .

> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

> MotorMan

Can't link to Samba from Windows(beginner)

Post by John Nielse » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 04:43:24

Quote:> I have installed Samba version 2.2.2 in a BSD box and at startup smbd and
> nmbd seem to start fine from rc.local.

> I am also running telnetd and ftpd from the BSD box which work fine so I
> know my connectivity is ok.

> I can see the workgroup from w2k File Explorer but I can't map it.  I get
> message saying
> "the account is not athorized to log in from this station" .
> What does this mean and what am I doing wrong?

> I did setup an explicit section in smb.conf for file sharing:

> [MyDir]
>   Comment= shared dir
>   path = /usr/home/MotorMan
>   valid users=MotorMan
>   public=yes
>   printable = no

> For mapping I use \\192.168.0.3\MyDir .

To connect to a Samba server from Windows 2000 you need to either enable
encrypted passwords on the Samba server and use smbpasswd[1] (recommended),
or tell the Windows 2000 machine to send plain-text passwords (by changing a
value in the registry).

Here's how to do the former:
Make sure smb.conf contains these two lines:
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
Then, add an account to your FreeBSD system for each user (or username) that
will be connecting to your samba server.  The easy way to do this is via
/stand/sysinstall (Configure, Users, Add User).
Once you have the user(s) added, run the following (once for each user):
    smbpasswd -a newuser
where "newuser" is the username.  This prompts you to set the Samba password
for that user.  For seamless connectivity, make it the same as that user's
Windows 2000 password.

That's it.  This is all documented reasonably well, but the above should get
you started.  See also the manpages for samba (7), smb.conf (5), and
smbpasswd (8), as well as the contents of /usr/local/share/doc/samba.

[1] Since Windows and FreeBSD use different password encryption schemes,
samba needs to maintain its own encrypted password file to authenticate
Windows users.  smbpasswd is the utility for editing this file, which is
kept in /usr/local/private.

JN

Can't link to Samba from Windows(beginner)

Post by MotorMa » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 07:26:05

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.  I followed your direction but I still
get the same message:
"the account is not athorized to log in from this station" .

There is one correction to my original note.  The network places of File
Explorer does not see the BSD server,
however when I search for the ip of the BSD server then it finds it with a
location of 'unknown'.  Search for the netbios name
of BSD server returns nothing.

One other note.  The w2k computer that I'm using is a laptop which at work
belongs to a domain controller.

Thanks for any help in advance.
MotorMan

> > I have installed Samba version 2.2.2 in a BSD box and at startup smbd
and
> > nmbd seem to start fine from rc.local.

> > I am also running telnetd and ftpd from the BSD box which work fine so I
> > know my connectivity is ok.

> > I can see the workgroup from w2k File Explorer but I can't map it.  I
get
> > message saying
> > "the account is not athorized to log in from this station" .
> > What does this mean and what am I doing wrong?

> > I did setup an explicit section in smb.conf for file sharing:

> > [MyDir]
> >   Comment= shared dir
> >   path = /usr/home/MotorMan
> >   valid users=MotorMan
> >   public=yes
> >   printable = no

> > For mapping I use \\192.168.0.3\MyDir .

> To connect to a Samba server from Windows 2000 you need to either enable
> encrypted passwords on the Samba server and use smbpasswd[1]
(recommended),
> or tell the Windows 2000 machine to send plain-text passwords (by changing
> value in the registry).

> Here's how to do the former:
> Make sure smb.conf contains these two lines:
>     security = user
>     encrypt passwords = yes
> Then, add an account to your FreeBSD system for each user (or username)
that
> will be connecting to your samba server.  The easy way to do this is via
> /stand/sysinstall (Configure, Users, Add User).
> Once you have the user(s) added, run the following (once for each user):
>     smbpasswd -a newuser
> where "newuser" is the username.  This prompts you to set the Samba
password
> for that user.  For seamless connectivity, make it the same as that user's
> Windows 2000 password.

> That's it.  This is all documented reasonably well, but the above should
get
> you started.  See also the manpages for samba (7), smb.conf (5), and
> smbpasswd (8), as well as the contents of /usr/local/share/doc/samba.

> [1] Since Windows and FreeBSD use different password encryption schemes,
> samba needs to maintain its own encrypted password file to authenticate
> Windows users.  smbpasswd is the utility for editing this file, which is
> kept in /usr/local/private.

> JN

Can't link to Samba from Windows(beginner)

Post by John Nielse » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:49:37

Quote:> Thanks for the comprehensive reply.  I followed your direction but I still
> get the same message:
> "the account is not athorized to log in from this station" .

> There is one correction to my original note.  The network places of File
> Explorer does not see the BSD server,
> however when I search for the ip of the BSD server then it finds it with a
> location of 'unknown'.  Search for the netbios name
> of BSD server returns nothing.

> One other note.  The w2k computer that I'm using is a laptop which at work
> belongs to a domain controller.

> Thanks for any help in advance.
> MotorMan

Did you remember to restart Samba after modifying smb.conf?  Did you specify
a workgroup/domain in smb.conf?  Do you have a "hosts allow" line in
smb.conf?

If nmbd is running and happy then you should be able to browse to your samba
server via network neighborhood, or use its name in a UNC path.  The IP
method you described in your first post will work regardless.

If you don't get it working after playing around with the settings above
(and re-reading the man pages), feel free to post or e-mail me your smb.conf
file (remove "dont.spam.me." from my e-mail address) and I'll see if
anything jumps out at me.

JN

> > > I have installed Samba version 2.2.2 in a BSD box and at startup smbd
> and
> > > nmbd seem to start fine from rc.local.

> > > I am also running telnetd and ftpd from the BSD box which work fine so
> > > know my connectivity is ok.

> > > I can see the workgroup from w2k File Explorer but I can't map it.  I
> get
> > > message saying
> > > "the account is not athorized to log in from this station" .
> > > What does this mean and what am I doing wrong?

> > > I did setup an explicit section in smb.conf for file sharing:

> > > [MyDir]
> > >   Comment= shared dir
> > >   path = /usr/home/MotorMan
> > >   valid users=MotorMan
> > >   public=yes
> > >   printable = no

> > > For mapping I use \\192.168.0.3\MyDir .

> > To connect to a Samba server from Windows 2000 you need to either enable
> > encrypted passwords on the Samba server and use smbpasswd[1]
> (recommended),
> > or tell the Windows 2000 machine to send plain-text passwords (by
changing
> > value in the registry).

> > Here's how to do the former:
> > Make sure smb.conf contains these two lines:
> >     security = user
> >     encrypt passwords = yes
> > Then, add an account to your FreeBSD system for each user (or username)
> that
> > will be connecting to your samba server.  The easy way to do this is via
> > /stand/sysinstall (Configure, Users, Add User).
> > Once you have the user(s) added, run the following (once for each user):
> >     smbpasswd -a newuser
> > where "newuser" is the username.  This prompts you to set the Samba
> password
> > for that user.  For seamless connectivity, make it the same as that
user's
> > Windows 2000 password.

> > That's it.  This is all documented reasonably well, but the above should
> get
> > you started.  See also the manpages for samba (7), smb.conf (5), and
> > smbpasswd (8), as well as the contents of /usr/local/share/doc/samba.

> > [1] Since Windows and FreeBSD use different password encryption schemes,
> > samba needs to maintain its own encrypted password file to authenticate
> > Windows users.  smbpasswd is the utility for editing this file, which is
> > kept in /usr/local/private.

> > JN

Can't link to Samba from Windows(beginner)

Check to see that encrypted passwords = yes in your smb.conf file.