Newbie -- Can't play audio CD's

Post by Christopher Broussar » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

    I am using version 3.3R and I just recently got my sound card
working.  I would really like to play my audio CD's on my computer, but
when I try to mount an audio CD the computer says, "Input/Output Error."

I tried just putting the CD in and running a program like "workman" and
hope that it automatically mounts the CD, but still the CD isn't
detected.
    I have a feeling that I'm not doing something obvious, but I can't
figure what to do.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Newbie -- Can't play audio CD's

Post by Marvin E. Foste » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>     I am using version 3.3R and I just recently got my sound card
> working.  I would really like to play my audio CD's on my computer, but
> when I try to mount an audio CD the computer says, "Input/Output Error."

> I tried just putting the CD in and running a program like "workman" and
> hope that it automatically mounts the CD, but still the CD isn't
> detected.
>     I have a feeling that I'm not doing something obvious, but I can't
> figure what to do.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think you need to mount the CD. That would be only for a CD with
some sort of mountable filesystem on it, which an audio CD doesn't have. I
think CD player programs just access the corresponding device in /dev
directly. Also, if you are trying to access the CD from a user account, the
file permissions on the CD device may not allow you to. I had a problem
getting the CD player in the KDE desktop to work from a normal user
account. Everytime I clicked the CD player icon, I got a message saying
that /dev/cd0c was not accessible. I looked at the device permissions for
my SCSI CDROM and found the following

brw-r-----   1 root      operator    6,   2 Jan 24 12:10 cd0c

This basically says that anyone who isn't either root or in the operator
group cannot access the device. So I logged in as root and added the name
of my user account to the "operator" entry in /etc/group. When I logged
back in to the user account, the CD player started working.

Newbie -- Can't play audio CD's

Post by Samuel E. Fugarin » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> >     I am using version 3.3R and I just recently got my sound card
> > working.  I would really like to play my audio CD's on my computer, but
> > when I try to mount an audio CD the computer says, "Input/Output Error."

> > I tried just putting the CD in and running a program like "workman" and
> > hope that it automatically mounts the CD, but still the CD isn't
> > detected.
> >     I have a feeling that I'm not doing something obvious, but I can't
> > figure what to do.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> I don't think you need to mount the CD. That would be only for a CD with
> some sort of mountable filesystem on it, which an audio CD doesn't have. I
> think CD player programs just access the corresponding device in /dev
> directly. Also, if you are trying to access the CD from a user account, the
> file permissions on the CD device may not allow you to. I had a problem
> getting the CD player in the KDE desktop to work from a normal user
> account. Everytime I clicked the CD player icon, I got a message saying
> that /dev/cd0c was not accessible. I looked at the device permissions for
> my SCSI CDROM and found the following

> brw-r-----   1 root      operator    6,   2 Jan 24 12:10 cd0c

> This basically says that anyone who isn't either root or in the operator
> group cannot access the device. So I logged in as root and added the name
> of my user account to the "operator" entry in /etc/group. When I logged
> back in to the user account, the CD player started working.

The permissions for my cd are
brw-r--r--1 root     operator     19,     2 Jan 22  15:51 acd0c

Looks like everybody has read permission, but no luck getting the damn thing
to play. What else could be wrong?

Newbie -- Can't play audio CD's

Post by Marvin E. Foste » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> | [...]
> | brw-r-----   1 root      operator    6,   2 Jan 24 12:10 cd0c
> |
> | This basically says that anyone who isn't either root or in the operator
> | group cannot access the device. So I logged in as root and added the name
> | of my user account to the "operator" entry in /etc/group. When I logged
> | back in to the user account, the CD player started working.

> Is there anything that speaks against a chmod 644 (or chmod 444, since
> a CD is not writable anyway, unless probably the device is a CD
> writer)?

> Gru?
>  - Thomas

> --
> Every one suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and
> this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known.
>  - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
> # PGP key sent on request / PGP key auf Wunsch per e-mail

chmod is more sensible. Oddly, none of the disk and serial port devices in my
/dev directory are world readable. This is the way it has been since I
installed 3.4 about a week ago. Is this normal?

Newbie -- Can't play audio CD's

Post by ?ystein Skundbe » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 01:29:03 -0500, Christopher Broussard

>    I am using version 3.3R and I just recently got my sound card
>working.  I would really like to play my audio CD's on my computer, but
>when I try to mount an audio CD the computer says, "Input/Output Error."

>I tried just putting the CD in and running a program like "workman" and
>hope that it automatically mounts the CD, but still the CD isn't
>detected.
>    I have a feeling that I'm not doing something obvious, but I can't
>figure what to do.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't mount audio Cds.
Furthermore, try this (copied from another Audio-CD thread today):

"As root, type the following command:

chmod 666 /dev/racd0a"

If workman fails, try other CD players, like ascd, wmcdplay or
xcdplayer. Read the documentation for command line options.

?ystein S.
--

1. Can't play audio CD's with CD Player apps -- Creative CD820E

I have a Creative Labs CD820E and am not able to play audio cd's with any CD
players for Linux.  I am able to use the buttons on the front of the drive
(play and stop) to play CDs -- I'd like to use the features of audio CD apps
though.  Any time i stick a disc in and start up workbone or xmcd I get
these messages ont eh console:

hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0
hdd: ATAPI reset complete
hdd: media changed

these messages keep appearing for around a minute, and the light on the
CDROM drive turns off.
/dev/hdd has the right permissions, and i have /dev/cdrom linking to
/dev/hdd.  I am able to mount and read data CD's.  QuickCD in win95 lets me
play audio cd's, so I know the drive is capable of playing audio.  Any
ideas?  Thanks.
--
-- -
chris ..

2. Putting stopped jobs in bg, with nohup?

3. newbie needs help: can't play audio-cds due to no permission to /dev/rmatcd0c

4. 64 bit support on x86

5. Can play audio CD's... but no WAV's or MIDI?!?

6. Problems connecting PSION 3a to Linux, with p3nfs 5.4

7. Hitachi CDR 1750S cdrom - WHY doesn't it play Audio CD'S?

8. computer over a serial line as a terminal?

9. Playing audio cd's doesn't work

10. Can't play audio CD's

11. Can't play audio CD's ?

12. can't play audio CD's but works otherwise

13. Can't Play Audio CD's w/ SCSI Emulation on Burner