problems w/ rdump/rrestore

Post by Tom Keat » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

I hope someone can help me out of this picklement.

I'm trying to do a remote dump.  I've got 2 machines
networked together: bud.garden.local and spud.garden.local.

bud: FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE ... the machine from which i'm trying
     to dump.

spud: FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE ... the machine with the tape
      (aha0:4:0): "SANKYO CP525 6.64" type 1 removable SCSI 2)
      ---(antient SCSI QIC-525)

Here's what happpens:

  DUMP: Connection to spud.garden.local established.
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sun May  9 20:21:28 1999
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rwd0s2a (/) to /dev/nrst0 on host spud
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 17081 tape blocks on 0.03 tape(s).
  DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.

It would appear my problem is _maintaining_ a connection,
rather than simply establishing one.

/var/log/messages says nothing about failed attempts.

Originally i had BSD/OS 2.1 on spud; rdump & rrestore
worked quite handily.  My original command line was
"dump 0ufB spud:/dev/nrst0 525000 /"; i've tried
numerous permutations and re-read man 8 dump man 8 restore
to check my syntax.

Currently i've gone hog-wild unsecuring spud, committing
horrible sins like /root/.rhosts,  /etc/hosts.equiv, etc.
I can password-lessly rsh, as root, from bud from spud.

FWIW, here's /dev/nrst0 on spud:
crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,   1 Jul 22  1998 /dev/nrst0

I've gone through the Handbook, the FAQ and something on the
Web called "A brief tutorial on Dump/Restore" by Jon
Hamilton.  No soap.

Losing the ability to do backups is like running out
of toilet paper:  y'can only git by fer so long ...

If i've stupidly overlooked something, then please by all
means admonish me -- and give me at least a hint while
doing so :)

cheers,
        tom
--
Why not just drop everything and go fishin'?

        remove NO_SPAM. from address to reply

problems w/ rdump/rrestore

Post by Tom Kea » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I hope someone can help me out of this picklement.

[snip]

Never mind, it's a hardware thing.

The operation was a success, but the patient died.

Farewell, good and faithful tape drive.

--
Why not just drop everything and go fishin'?

        remove NO_SPAM. from address to reply

1. rdump/rrestore problem

My DAT drive recently died so I've been trying to use rdump and
rrestore to backup to a SCSI DAT drive attached to a machine on our
network.  My NeXT machine is running OS 4.2 and the tape drive is
attached to another NeXT machine running NS 3.2.

I've had no trouble in the past dumping and restoring with my local
DAT drive, and the rdump to the remote tape drive seems to proceed
without problems.  However, when I try to restore a file from the
tape, either to my machine with rrestore or on the other machine with
restore, I get an error similar to the following:

Dump   date: Wed Sep 23 17:03:50 1998
Dumped from: Wed Sep 16 16:56:48 1998
resync restore, skipped 7 blocks
resync restore, skipped 3 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
. is not on tape
Root directory is not on tape
abort? [yn]

This occurs no matter what restore option I try (i, t, whatever).  I
have never had this problem before with dump/restore, only now with
rdump/rrestore.  Any ideas as to whats going wrong?  Thanks for your
help.

Steve

2. softupdates on / (docs question)

3. rdump and rrestore

4. Routing question

5. rdump/rrestore on SVR3?

6. Ramdisks anyone? (This is a repost :)

7. Looking for rdump/rrestore source code

8. SQUID with ISDN-Dial and no routing information?

9. Source for dump/restore/rdump/rrestore?

10. rdump/rrestore

11. BSD dump,rdump,rrestore for Solaris 2.3 wanted

12. Need help with rdump & rrestore

13. rdump, rrestore