Help Getting My Web Server Internet Access Please!

Help Getting My Web Server Internet Access Please!

Post by jxav.. » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Ok, I have no idea where to look for this stuff so please respond with
any links you can. I have a FreeBSD server that is running about 6
websites. As most ISP's don't want you to run servers over theri
connection, I need to find out what options are available for getting
and keeping my server live on the net!   Would prefer if there was a
DSL company that will allow home server as my sites are only hitting
about 150,000 hits a day right now.   If no ISP's are available, I
need to know or find out what kind of connection I will need to my
house, and what kind of equipment.  How much will this cost? Please
respond with any information/links that will help.

Thanks in advance!

Post by Joe Gre » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

:Ok, I have no idea where to look for this stuff so please respond with
:any links you can. I have a FreeBSD server that is running about 6
:websites. As most ISP's don't want you to run servers over theri
:connection, I need to find out what options are available for getting
:and keeping my server live on the net!   Would prefer if there was a
:DSL company that will allow home server as my sites are only hitting
:about 150,000 hits a day right now.   If no ISP's are available, I
:need to know or find out what kind of connection I will need to my
:house, and what kind of equipment.  How much will this cost? Please
:respond with any information/links that will help.

Don't be dense.  Most ISP's have no problems letting you run servers
through them.  However, they expect you to pay for the privilege.  Most
"cheap" residential connections don't allow it, because you're not
covering the costs.  Buy yourself a business DSL connection, or a T1, or
colocate your server.  Expect to pay more than $49.95/month.

... JG

Post by Chuck Swige » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Ok, I have no idea where to look for this stuff so please respond with
> any links you can. I have a FreeBSD server that is running about 6
> websites. As most ISP's don't want you to run servers over theri
> connection, I need to find out what options are available for getting
> and keeping my server live on the net!

Almost all DSL providers offer a business grade service (which gives you one
or possibly a small subnet of fixed, routable IP addresses)-- generally for
about $100 or so additional per month.

For an example, compare:

www.bell-atl.com/infospeed
www.bellatlantic.com/business/adsl

-Chuck

           -------------+-------------------+-----------
           "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggy',
            while searching for a rock."  -- Talleyrand

Post by Miguel Cr » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 09:36:06

> Ok, I have no idea where to look for this stuff so please respond with
> any links you can. I have a FreeBSD server that is running about 6
> websites. As most ISP's don't want you to run servers over theri
> connection, I need to find out what options are available for getting
> and keeping my server live on the net!   Would prefer if there was a
> DSL company that will allow home server as my sites are only hitting
> about 150,000 hits a day right now.   If no ISP's are available, I
> need to know or find out what kind of connection I will need to my
> house, and what kind of equipment.  How much will this cost? Please
> respond with any information/links that will help.

You have two cheap options:

1) Get a DSL line that provides a static IP address and decent upstream. You
can search for one with local availability at www.dslreports.com. Expect to
pay around $70/month or so for this.

2) Colocate. You can get a decent machine at rackspace.com for $200/month.
For this you get: freedom from having to deal with hardware, far higher
speed, and greater network reliability.

miguel

Post by Bill Vermilli » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>> Ok, I have no idea where to look for this stuff so please respond with
>> any links you can. I have a FreeBSD server that is running about 6
>> websites. As most ISP's don't want you to run servers over theri
>> connection, I need to find out what options are available for getting
>> and keeping my server live on the net!   Would prefer if there was a
>> DSL company that will allow home server as my sites are only hitting
>> about 150,000 hits a day right now.   If no ISP's are available, I
>> need to know or find out what kind of connection I will need to my
>> house, and what kind of equipment.  How much will this cost? Please
>> respond with any information/links that will help.

>You have two cheap options:
>1) Get a DSL line that provides a static IP address and decent
>upstream. You can search for one with local availability at
>www.dslreports.com. Expect to pay around $70/month or so for this.
>2) Colocate. You can get a decent machine at rackspace.com for
>$200/month. For this you get: freedom from having to deal with
>hardware, far higher speed, and greater network reliability.

I'll second the second suggestion.  The only thing to watch
for is bandwidth pricing - because if you go more than you expect
you can get a * surprise.   rackspace.com  FreeBSD solutions
appear to start in the $350 range.    I've computer other pricing
and on some of those if you start using enough bandwidth to be
equivalent of a T1 maxed out - you could be in for a rude shock.
This varies greatly from provider to provider.

--

1. Ho to access a private LAN web server from internet?

Hello, I have a problem.
I have a private LAN hosting a web sever and another network connected
to internet hosting another web server.

Both nertworks are connected to one pc, but the private LAN's web
server is on another pc.

How can I access  web pages served by private LAN's web server from
internet (passing by the public network's web server) ?

Thank you for every answer.

Umberto Cappellini

2. Problems: LINUX, APACHE, WIN95, and CGI

3. RH6.0 web server cannot be accessed from Internet

4. Automounter map problems on hpux 10.20

5. Web server cannot be accessed from other clients on Internet

6. Problem loading agpgart module with i815 chipset

7. accessing web server from internet

8. See the future............

9. Errors accessing Apache Web server from the Internet

10. Getting Access To Internet Time Server Through External Firewall

11. Linux getting Internet Access over a WinNT Server throughout DNS

12. Help on getting connected to the internet please!