Q:Boot linux from 2nd drive using Boot Easy?

Q:Boot linux from 2nd drive using Boot Easy?

Post by Chen X » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have been the FBSD user for a quite while and happy with it.
Yesterday I installed Debian2.0 for my wife on the new added
second IDE drive. I want to be able to boot Debain from HD
directly as I boot FreeBSD.

I have Boot Easy installed and have three choices;
F1 -- DOS (on first partition of first drive)
F2 -- FreeBSD (on the second partition of first drive)
F5 -- second disk (I have this chocies after I partion 2nd drive
           using FreeBSD fdisk, not working yet. If I press F5, it
           says 'no operatiing system')

Q: Is it possible to still use Boot Easy to boot Debian from HD
directly? How? DO I have install and configure Lilo from Debain?

Post by Donn Mille » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I have Boot Easy installed and have three choices;
> F1 -- DOS (on first partition of first drive)
> F2 -- FreeBSD (on the second partition of first drive)
> F5 -- second disk (I have this chocies after I partion 2nd drive
>            using FreeBSD fdisk, not working yet. If I press F5, it
>            says 'no operatiing system')

> Q: Is it possible to still use Boot Easy to boot Debian from HD
> directly? How? DO I have install and configure Lilo from Debain?

Believe it or not, this is the exact same configuration I'm using.
Here's I did:

1 ->  Boot up under Linux.  Installed LILO with liloconfig.  Chose to
install lilo on the Superblock of the second drive (not the MBR,
because I have a DOS partition in front of my Linux partition)

2 ->Boot up under DOS under partition 1, drive one.  Install booteasy
using "bootinst.exe" under FreeBSD/tools.

3-> when you reboot, you should see a prompt saying "disk two" or
"drive two", choose that.  Now you should see the lilo prompt.

What's different from my configuration is, I have a DOS partition on
partition 1, disk 2.  So after pressing "F5...disk two", I see a new
menu:

F1...DOS
F2...Linux
F3...Linux
F4...Linux

To boot Linux, I just press "F2", and then I see the "LILO" prompt.
The thing about lilo is that you can configure it to immediately boot
to Linux.  Unfortunately, I didn't try it any other way than with
LILO, so your other option is to maybe install some boot code on the
MBR of disk2.  But LILO will definitely work -- it's not too much
trouble to hit "cntrl" and just hit "enter" to boot Linux.  I did have
Debian on part 2 of disk 2, but I scrapped that and went with
Slackware;  it's a little more like FreeBSD, IMO.

In your case, maybe just run the equivalent of Slackware "setup" and
install the Linux boot code on the MBR of drive 2 (don't let it
install on the MBR of drive 1 though).  I think you can also use LILO
on the MBR of disk 2, and configure lilo to immediately boot to Linux
w/out prompting.  Choose a "0 second" delay.  If that will not work,
try installing LILO on the Superblock of disk 2.

Donn

1. HELP!!How can I boot from Win95 as 2nd HD under Boot Easy?

Hi,

I have two hard-disks. one is for FreeBSD 2.2.2-Release and the other is
for Win95 OS.
FreeBSD is on Primary IDE(master), and it works fine. I want Win95 in
the system
so I can boot Win95. So I just put my 2nd HD(Win95) on Primary
IDE(slave), and
reoot, then the boot menu is:

F1:    DOS
F2:    BSD
F5:    disk 2

I press F5, but it boots from DOS not Win95, why?
Would anyone know how to solve this problem?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Doug.

2. vncserver && enlightenment

3. Dual Boot NT and FreeBSD using Boot Easy?

4. Need help with HP Web JetAdmin on SunOS5.6

5. Boot issues (will Windows 95 boot from the 2nd drive withBootEasy???; strange error message with wd0)

6. installing telnet daemons

7. Boot FreeBSD from 2nd drive, with NT boot manager??

8. bash job control problem

10. Linux install onto 2nd drive broke NT boot on 1st drive

11. Dual Boot using 2nd eide drive - How?

12. Using LILO to boot win95 on 2nd IDE Drive.

13. using lilo to boot dos from 2nd scsi drive