kernel.conf?

Post by David Fle » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 23:51:08

Is there any man page, etc. that describes the format and
syntax for the /boot/kernel.conf file?  The one that got
installed in my 4.6 system appears to be doing something with
certain devices or kernel modules:

di sn0
di lnc0
di ie0
di fe0
di cs0
di bt0
di aic0
di aha0
di adv0

but when the machine boots up, it complains:

config> di sn0
No such device: sn0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di lnc0
No such device: lnc0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di ie0
No such device: ie0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di fe0
No such device: fe0
[...]

and so on. If I try replacing kernel.conf with an empty file,
then at boot time I get dumped into the kernel configuration
utility, which I have to exit manually, configuration unchanged.

I suspect that kernel.conf could be doing something useful, if
I just knew how to use it properly.  However, I can find no
documentation on how to manipulate this file.

--
David Fleck

kernel.conf?

Post by Erik Nygre » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:34:43

> Is there any man page, etc. that describes the format and
> syntax for the /boot/kernel.conf file?  The one that got
> installed in my 4.6 system appears to be doing something with
> certain devices or kernel modules:

> di sn0
> di lnc0
> di ie0
> di fe0
> di cs0
> di bt0
> di aic0
> di aha0
> di adv0

This is probably devices you disabled when installing FreeBSD

Quote:> q

> but when the machine boots up, it complains:

> config> di sn0
> No such device: sn0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di lnc0
> No such device: lnc0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di ie0
> No such device: ie0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di fe0
> No such device: fe0
> [...]

This is the devices that no longer can be disabled (probably because
you have compiled a custom kernel that no longer have theese devices)

Remove everything except the last row, and you should be fine...

A little of this can be found in loader(8).

Quote:

> and so on. If I try replacing kernel.conf with an empty file,
> then at boot time I get dumped into the kernel configuration
> utility, which I have to exit manually, configuration unchanged.

> I suspect that kernel.conf could be doing something useful, if
> I just knew how to use it properly.  However, I can find no
> documentation on how to manipulate this file.

You should be able to remove /boot/kernel.conf all together.

--
Erik Nygren
e r i k { a t } s w i p { d o t } n e t

1. make.conf, kernel.conf, world.conf?

Doesnt using /etc/make.conf for buildworld configurations
only makes sense when you are building a new world on the
system you plan to install it on.

Think about buildkernel for a minute.
I like building different kernels for different hardware on
my network. I build the different versions on one box:

#make buildkernel KERNCONF=myconfig0
#make buildkernel KERNCONF=myconfig1

This works well because I put my kernel compilation overrides
(NO_MODULES say) into the kernel config file. I build as many
as I want, and then I can install them on the desired machine
and it no way affects my current machine.
I dont touch /etc/make.conf for kernel builds.

There ought to be an equivalent for buildworld that goes:
make buildworld worldconf=w1.conf
make buildworld worldconf=w2.conf

So I can keep my "world configs" seperate.

If you plan on building multiple worlds for other systems
(and dont want to rebuild your current system) are you
supposed to save a copy of your current make.conf, change
it before you build each destination world, and change it
back later?

The idea of make.conf for buildworld is right. But
keeping it in /etc has got to be wrong. Right?

Am I missing something here?

(Still looking at buildworld)

-Jan

2. Measuring per-process resources

3. linux kernel conf 0.7

4. ping: WJBell

5. linux kernel conf 0.5

6. X and fonts

7. small patch, but Linux Kernel Conf in 2.5.44 works great

8. ftp for Solaris with "passive" support

9. linux kernel conf 0.8

10. kernel.conf

11. linux kernel conf 1.0

12. Modem config and kernel.conf