Support for 3com Etherlink XL aka 3c900 aka boomerang?

Support for 3com Etherlink XL aka 3c900 aka boomerang?

Post by Volker Schmi » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello everyone!

Is there someone out there with a driver for the 3com Etherlink
XL?

Last time I checked the Hardware-Reference this card isn't
mentioned; I dunno if there is support in in FreeBSD-2.2?

--volker
--

PGP public key available on request.

Post by J Wuns » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Last time I checked the Hardware-Reference this card isn't
> mentioned; I dunno if there is support in in FreeBSD-2.2?

It is.

--
cheers, J"org

Support for 3com Etherlink XL aka 3c900 aka boomerang?

Post by Ilya Varlashk » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello, Unix guru!

I'm novice here but now i have something to say...

: > Last time I checked the Hardware-Reference this card isn't
: > mentioned; I dunno if there is support in in FreeBSD-2.2?

: It is.

I've tested 3C900 under FBSD 2.1.6.1 and found very interesting feature.
I've played with two Intel Altair (P100) with one 3C900 in each
machine. When both FBSD boxes have GATEWAY option turned off all works very
well (upto 1Mbytes/s over FTP). But if i turn GATEWAY option on machnine A
on, and run ping from machine B to any another machine then i get a lots
duplicated packets (exactly there was 4 reply on each packet).
I've looked through route table on machine B - it's ok, but when i do 'ping
-R' then i see packet follows to A machine first, although 'traceroute'
works right.
Note if i turn on GATEWAY option on machine A too, it cause all Virus'95
station in this subnet to hangs.

I've tried to put D-Link 220 ethernet adapter instead 3Com - now its
working. Put 3Com back - troubles goes back too.

Could anyone point me how to solve problem with 3C900? Is 2.2 works stable
with 3Com realy?

Anyway, thank all!

--
Ilya Varlashkin

Post by J Wuns » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Could anyone point me how to solve problem with 3C900? Is 2.2 works stable
> with 3Com realy?

No idea, but give it a try.  The driver has been updated.  I'm now
able to boot a diskless NFS client off my 3c590, this was impossible
with the earlier driver.

--
cheers, J"org

Post by HAMADA Nao » Sun, 12 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>I've tested 3C900 under FBSD 2.1.6.1 and found very interesting feature.
>I've played with two Intel Altair (P100) with one 3C900 in each
>machine. When both FBSD boxes have GATEWAY option turned off all works very
>well (upto 1Mbytes/s over FTP). But if i turn GATEWAY option on machnine A
>on, and run ping from machine B to any another machine then i get a lots
>duplicated packets (exactly there was 4 reply on each packet).

This is exactly what I experienced.

Quote:>Could anyone point me how to solve problem with 3C900? Is 2.2 works stable
>with 3Com realy?

Nope. Absolutely not.

3COM do not provide a technical reference manual of 3C900 and 3C905
adapters yet.

- nao