How to enable WATCH?

Post by William Mart » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to enable the WATCH command in FreeBSD 1.2.5?

When invoked (as root), it says: Fatal: Cannot open snoop device.

Is the 'snoop device' something that needs to be build or what?

Thanks for any help...

Bill

How to enable WATCH?

Post by Michael Fu » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Does anyone know how to enable the WATCH command in FreeBSD 1.2.5?

>When invoked (as root), it says: Fatal: Cannot open snoop device.

>Is the 'snoop device' something that needs to be build or what?

Look through /sys/i386/conf/LINT and you'll find this:

    pseudo-device  snp   3    #Snoop device - to look at pty/vty/etc..

Add such a line to your kernel config file, rebuild your kernel,
and reboot.  Then make sure you have some /dev/snp* files:

    # cd /dev
    # sh MAKEDEV snp0 snp1 snp2

And most importantly, please don't use watch(8) to violate anybody's
privacy :-(
--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.dimensional.com/~mfuhr/

How to enable WATCH?

Post by jon.. » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Does anyone know how to enable the WATCH command in FreeBSD 1.2.5?

>When invoked (as root), it says: Fatal: Cannot open snoop device.

>Is the 'snoop device' something that needs to be build or what?

Add pseudo-device snp to your kernel config file and recompile; then,
go to /dev and MAKEDEV the number of snp device entries you want, i.e.
MAKEDEV snp0, snp1 etc.

How to enable WATCH?

Post by Alexei Khalimo » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to enable the WATCH command in FreeBSD 1.2.5?
> When invoked (as root), it says: Fatal: Cannot open snoop device.
> Is the 'snoop device' something that needs to be build or what?

pseudo-device snp 3

Quote:> Thanks for any help...
> Bill

ALexei.

p.s. It is a good idea to see what is LINT before
     asking such questions ;-)

"A hundred years from now on it will not matter
 what my bank account was, the sort of house I
 lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the
 world may be different because I was important
 in the life of a child" - SkyMall magazine.

1. Rh6.2 - telnet server not enabled, how to enable?

I have an installation of RH6.2 that I cannot telnet into. I try to connect
from my Windows box, and I don't even get a login prompt. Is this service
not enabled by default?

What is the telnet daemon called under RH62, and where do I configure it to
start at boot time?

I would like to set it to deny most IP addresses, as well.

2. US- Mi - Grand Rapids- MIS

3. Anyone watch DVD's on Linux?

4. Where can I get libX11.so.6 ?

5. LINUX WORLD informal report (Slashdot watching)

6. MGR can't see mouse, won't start

7. ABOUT FILE SIZE AND MONITOR/WATCH DIR

8. 'advocacy' wars -- really needed?

9. Low sound when watching dvd or other type of movies

10. Watching Log files

11. Solstice Disk Suite -- Watch out for root mirrors!

12. Watching DVD

13. Simple Hack To Get $2000 Watch Video.