minimal installation vs. mini-CD

Post by Tuomas Pellonper » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 05:35:35

Hi, folks!

What is the difference between minimal installation (in FreeBSD
Handbook, chapter 2.6, this is called "smallest possible configuration")
and installation from the CD labelled as "mini"?

T. Tuomas

Post by John Nielse » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:02:00

> Hi, folks!

> What is the difference between minimal installation (in FreeBSD
> Handbook, chapter 2.6, this is called "smallest possible configuration")
> and installation from the CD labelled as "mini"?

A minimal installation can be done from any installation media.  In this
case, the "minimal" is what you end up with on your hard drive after
installation.  The mini-iso CD image is actually quite complete; it just
doesn't include any precompiled third-party packages on the image.  In this
case the "mini" refers to the download size as compared to the full disc 1
or 4-disc set.

You can do a "full" install from the mini-CD, and you can do a minimal
install from the regular CD.  And vice-versa.

HTH,

JN

--
Remove pig-latin to reply by e-mail

1. OpenBSD, bootable mini-CD read-only firewall... emBSD preferably.

Has anyone done something like this on OpenBSD or emBSD, preferably using a
mini-cd (185MB & emBSD):
http://bsdtoday.com/2002/March/Features646.html
www.embsd.org

I'd like to do something like this with OpenBSD or emBSD, using IPF or PF as
read-only, but still allow write to MFS or such, for firewall logs, maybe
snort, etc.
Same concept as doing a firewall on a floppy, but with more space to do
more! I noticed TheWall & ClosedBSD use IPFW; would rather IPF/PF over IPFW
any day though, especially considering I prefer something OpenBSD based
(such as emBSD) along with IPF/PF & bridge(4) support.

I'm not sure how to go about doing something like this, but going to read
all I can and see if I can figure it out if I can't get any help.. :-(

Any links, hints, help, ideas, constructive ciritcism, etc. are more than
welcome!

PS: The system I'd like to try it on only has 32M RAM, so I couldn't do a
huge MFS.

Thanks!

2. Does any version of Solaris support Ultra ATA 100 controller for 40 Gig harddrive ???

3. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

4. NeoMagic fix for 8 bpp and 16 bpp

5. minimal work to get minimal printer working minimalling

6. Netscape and "Bus error"

7. ADSL vs minimal Linux config/hardware

8. Two interesting X problems (RH 7.3/KDE3 @ Celeron 500/Intel i810)

9. TeX: minimal installation?

10. minimal X installation

11. minimal installation?

12. Minimal RedHat Installation

13. Bizzare Characters in minimal installation