panic: don't do that ?

Post by David Vidal Rodrígue » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 00:56:19

Hi folks!

I was trying to modularize the sound in my 5.0R machine, which has two
sound cards:

$ dmesg | grep pcm.:
pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A> port 0xb000-0xb003,0xb400-0xb403,0xb800-0xb8ff irq
9 at device 4.5 on pci0
pcm1: <AudioPCI ES1373-B> port 0xa000-0xa03f irq 9 at device 10.0 on pci0

In order for them to work properly as modules, the files
snd_{pcm,via82c686,es137x}.ko have to be loaded in the beginning AFAIK.
Or else they won't be recognized and will be given as PCI devices with
"no driver attached".

Well, two issues:

1)
If they aren't loaded (I forgot them on the 1st try by mistake), the
kernel panics if I try to change hw.snd.maxautovchans (that odd "bwrite:
buffer is not busy???" message again!). That shouldn't happen: if I
don't have any soundcards, this oid shouldn't _exist_ either!

2)
If they're loaded, an attempt to unload snd_via82c686.ko results in a
panic with the funny message in the subject. But: Aren't modules
supposed to be unloadable? What's the fun with modules then?

Any hints on solving this?

My attempt to load modules instead of the monolithic solution (which
always works) comes due to an odd behaviour of pcm0 (multiplexed with
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=8) telling that some /dev/dsp{W,}0.[0-7] devices are
busy after their first usage. I wanted to address it by unloading the
affected module and loading it again, but... that'll panic the system.

Has someone had something similar?

Thanks in advance,
David.

panic: don't do that ?

Post by David Vidal Rodrígue » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 01:17:29

> 1)
> If they aren't loaded

To be precise, having snd_pcm.ko loaded but nothing else.
David.

panic: don't do that ?

Post by ta.. » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 02:13:58

[...]

This is an old bug in FreeBSD that people have found many years ago, and
has not been solved. I have in the past paniced my machine by doing:
-remove ipl.ko (the ipfilter module) while ipmon is listening on it.
-writing to a write-protected floppy (this one has been more or less
tampered, but there are still * side-effects).
-removing the sound module while sound is playing.
I am quite sure there are many others of the same sort.

Moreover for sound cards the behavior is very model dependent. On my laptop
I have to load the module with /boot/loader. However, after boot i can
unload and then reload the module, sound still works. But if i suspend resume,
sound is killed and reloading module has no effect. Other people report
that reloading sound module works for them. In a few words, the module system
is not as well polished as in Linux, by far.

--

Michel TALON

panic: don't do that ?

Post by Kris Kennawa » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 04:00:02

> Any hints on solving this?

Kris

1. Don't really know what I'm doing (fstab/mtab settings)

The "noauto" means to NOT automatically mount at boot time.

Sure it is.

You can use mtools instead, but I beleive that only works for dos/fat
formats?  "mcopy file.txt a:"

--
    keelingATspotsDAWTabDAWTca  TopQuark Software & Serv. Enquire within.
                    Contract programmer, server bum.

2. automatic FTP retrieval??

3. linux don't start, gives kernel panic error

4. FreeBSD trap on install

5. kernel panic, 2.4.7 (Redhat 7.2) and i don't know why

6. Gnome Builds and Java Desktop

7. VIRUS ALERT: don't panic folks!

8. how to deinstall?

9. SSH-1.0-SSH_Version_Mapper. Don't panic.

10. Don't bother to post, was, Re: TEST:don't bother to read

11. Don't panic, people...

12. serial ports work with DOS but don't probe with FreeBSD 2.2.2

13. Some of us don't use DOS (was: Shared libraries on root disk)