HELP: APM / soft power switch

Post by rpseg.. » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi.
I'm having difficulty getting APM to work properly under FreeBSD 3.3
RELEASE and also under FreeBSD 4.0 RELEASE.

I'm trying to get the machine/FreeBSD to catch the power switch and shut
the machine down gracefully.  Instead, what happens when APM is enabled
is that the machine powers off immediately.

Hardware:  Intel brand i810e motherboard, APM 1.2 (according to
BIOS/POST), Celeron 433, 256M PC-100, Maxtor UDMA/66 30gig, ATX power
supply/case.

I've tried both FreeBSD 3.3 RELEASE and 4.0 RELEASE with no luck.

APM is enabled in the kernel (I compiled it).
apm is enabled in rc.conf

Tried with apmd_enabled as well with no luck.

shutdown -p works fine, powering off the machine as it should.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, looking for a good, reliable and inexpensive FCPGA motherboard
that is faster and more reliable than the Intel.

Thanks.
-Ralph
rpseguin AT yahoo DOT com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. FreeBSD: APM & Power Switch

I've been told that this can be done and that it should work:

I want to press the power switch while the machine is up and running
(FreeBSD 4.x) and have it do a shutdown -p now or something of the sort.

I've never seen it work myself.  With APM enabled (BIOS, kernel and
apm_enable = "yes"), pressing the power switch causes the machine to
power off immediately...

Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
-Ralph
rpseguin AT yahoo DOT com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. A little bit of anti-spam fun

3. 2.4.19-ac1 and later: kernel BUG in apm.c:899 (SMP, apm=power-off)

4. What should be the NIS user's home directory?

5. "soft" power button and linux

6. SAMBA again

7. Soft-Power Shutdown RH7

8. drivers/macintosh irq handler type

9. soft power-off question

10. Preventing users from shutting down the system by pressing the Soft-Power-Button

11. Soft Power Off

12. Soft power off at shutdown

13. Anyone know how to get soft-power-down to work on an Intel SCB2??