Boot Error when trying to boot BSD via Win NTLDR

Boot Error when trying to boot BSD via Win NTLDR

Post by Armin Burg » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I installed FreeBSD 3.4 on the second hard disk with Win NT on the
first. I want to boot BSD via the NT bootloader. For that I copied the
bootsector of the BSD / partition to the Win partition and included
this bootsector file in the boot.ini. Trying now to boot BSD I get the
message 'Boot Error' and I come back to the boot menu. I also tried
this method with the two files boot0 and boot1 from the BSD /boot
directory, but beeing unsuccessful in the same way. The BSD partition
is set as bootable. What did I wrong?

Thanks for any help

Armin
--
Armin Burger
Joint Research Centre

Post by Rainer Duffne » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I installed FreeBSD 3.4 on the second hard disk with Win NT on the
> first. I want to boot BSD via the NT bootloader. For that I copied the
> bootsector of the BSD / partition to the Win partition and included
> this bootsector file in the boot.ini. Trying now to boot BSD I get the
> message 'Boot Error' and I come back to the boot menu. I also tried
> this method with the two files boot0 and boot1 from the BSD /boot
> directory, but beeing unsuccessful in the same way. The BSD partition
> is set as bootable. What did I wrong?

I have a setup here with 40 lab-PCs that dual boot NT via the
/boot/boot1
file.
It works with no problem.
Perhaps, you munstn't set the partition bootable ? (This is done via the
512-byte file you copy over, it is the boot-block, IIRC)

cheers,
Rainer
 Rainer Duffner , Konstanz, Germany

 www: http://www.veryComputer.com/
        M.I.C.R.O.S.O.F.T.
 Most Intelligent Customers Realize:
 Our Software Only Fools *agers

Post by n.. » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I installed FreeBSD 3.4 on the second hard disk with Win NT on the
> first. I want to boot BSD via the NT bootloader. For that I copied the
> bootsector of the BSD / partition to the Win partition and included
> this bootsector file in the boot.ini. Trying now to boot BSD I get the
> message 'Boot Error' and I come back to the boot menu. I also tried
> this method with the two files boot0 and boot1 from the BSD /boot
> directory, but beeing unsuccessful in the same way. The BSD partition
> is set as bootable. What did I wrong?

I haven't had any problems.  What I do is the following;

mount_msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt
dd if=/dev/da0s<freeBSD partition number> of=/mnt/bootsect.bsd count=1

DOS has to be the first partition on your system.  AFAIK, the only
exception to this rule is if you have a Compaq or HP with a diag
partition.  Depending on how I want to do it, I either vi /mnt/boot.ini
or I edit boot.ini from DOS or Windows.  Regardless of when I edit
boot.ini I reboot the system with

umount /mnt; sync; sync; fastboot

If I made the change to boot.ini before rebooting, I should be able to
boot FreeBSD from the NT boot menu.  Your partition with the NTLDR
should be marked as active.  You can get rid of the boot sector loader
with fdisk /mbr since you won't need it anymore.
--

JCA

There's the Linux way, Microsoft way and the right way.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

Just installed FreeBSD 4.2 and 4.1 , installtion goes fine until it asks
to remove cdrom/floppies and reboot. Then before anything attempts to
load I get a read error when access the hard disk, then hangs there.

The machine is an old P133 ICL ErgoPro, but runs Windows 95/98 OK so I
know it will boot.

Any ideas???

TIA,
Ash

Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply

2. Book

3. Won't boot from boot disk - "crc error"

4. Bash Or Bash2 ??

5. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

6. Telnet and FreeBSD

7. Changing BSD partition to boot with Boot Manager (OS/2)

8. XF86 3.3 freezing system

9. Sparc 20 won't boot and won't display errors, either.

10. LILO error on trying to boot DOS (Error X04)

11. Sparc 20 won't boot and won't display errors, either.

12. Problem: 'boot failed' upon initial try of boot disk

13. Trying to boot off of Yggdrasil plug-n-play boot disk