Newbie Floppy Question - VERY IMPORTANT

Post by Josh Coo » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hopefully someone can help me, my future job may be riding on this:

Can someone explain how I mount a floppy in Unix.  The disks that I'm
using are already formated in DOS and need to be reformated, although I
can't figure out how.  I thought that the steps were:

1) fdformat /dev/fd0
2) mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

although I keep getting an error:
/dev/fd0 on /mnt: Incorrect super block

I beleive this is because I didn't change the disk's FAT (?) to Unix.

Please Help.

Reply by email too if possible.
Thanks
Josh

Post by James Rayna » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Can someone explain how I mount a floppy in Unix.  The disks that I'm
>using are already formated in DOS and need to be reformated, although I
>can't figure out how.  I thought that the steps were:

>1) fdformat /dev/fd0
>2) mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

>although I keep getting an error:
>/dev/fd0 on /mnt: Incorrect super block

>I beleive this is because I didn't change the disk's FAT (?) to Unix.

As the man page for fdformat says:

     Note that fdformat does only perform low-level formatting.  In case you
     wish to create a file system on the medium, see the commands newfs(8) for
     an ufs file system, or mkdosfs(1) for an MS-DOS (FAT) file system.

Incidentally, you should use something similar to the following command
to invoke newfs, otherwise it will use defaults intended for a hard disk
and something like half the floppy will be swallowed by inodes:

    newfs -l 1 -i 65536 -t 2 -u 18 fd0

James

Newbie Floppy Question - VERY IMPORTANT

Post by Robert Wats » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I also have a similar problem, which incidentally I had posted a few
minutes ago. Basically my newfs and df were in discrepancy with the
examples in the manual, (2d edition). When I performed the command as
suggested by James Raynard, it appears my problem has been solved.

Robert

: >
[...]

Post by Aaro » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Try:
mount /dev/fd0a /mnt
if that doesn't work
cd /dev
ls -l fd*
and use the one that has the lowest numbers and letters first.

Aaron

Post by User ThollardFranck Thollar » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Hopefully someone can help me, my future job may be riding on this:

> Can someone explain how I mount a floppy in Unix.  The disks that I'm
> using are already formated in DOS and need to be reformated, although I
> can't figure out how.  I thought that the steps were:

> 1) fdformat /dev/fd0
> 2) mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

If you have a DOS floppy, you may try : mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

You can also use the mtools to read/write dos floppies

Franck
----
              \|/
             (o -)
 --------oo0--(_)--0oo-------------------------------------------------
                           /  Tel : 0 (+033) 4 77 48 51 15
    THOLLARD Franck     - |   Fax : 0 (+033) 4 77 25 18 17

           -------------------o-----------------
    Oueb: http://www.univ-st-etienne.fr/eurise/thollard.html
    Adr : Universit des Sciences et techniques de St Etienne
          Equipe d'informatique, Dpartement de Mathmatiques
          23, rue du Docteur Paul Michelon
          42023 St tienne cedex 2  FRANCE

1. important newbie question

        This is probably really easy to answer but I'm having a real fun
time at it...I'm trying to install linux for the first time and want to
install it from my harddrive. Now I've got three drives and on the third
one, I've partitioned it into two partitions and want to install linux
from the second partition to the third partition. 've managed to figure
out how to mount the two partitions (sdb5,sdb6) but when I go into setup
and select the 'target' option it only gives me one selection, and that
being my first drive (hda). How can I arrange it so that I can install
from my one partition to the other? Its more just getting it to figure out
the right target drive since I think it's reading from the soruce drive
fine...can anyone help me here? thanks.

--
Nobody has more fun than an E gobbling kiddie out to have a good time. :)

2. Kernel Build Problem for NFSD

3. Newbie Questions: reading floppies

4. when is the next release of Solaris 8

5. Total Newbie Question : CD ROM & Floppy

6. SPICE circuit simulation

7. newbie question: How to read what's on a floppy

8. setdensity on SCSI tape: TANDBERG Model: IBM 4100

9. Newbie question: Linux and SunOS floppies

10. Newbie question - mounting a floppy

11. Floppy install only - Newbie-ish question.

12. Newbie Question: Mounting a Floppy under KDE

13. Newbie Floppy Question