Print to Windows NT - Waiting Queue to Be Enabled?

Post by Pascal Gieng » Fri, 22 May 1998 04:00:00

>Hi, there

>Forgive me if this is a obviously question, but I can not get help from any
>documents I found.

>I try to print to a Windows NT 4.0 with TCP/IP printing service(LPD on
>Windows NT) installed,
>and setup the /etc/printcap as needed. After I print a file, the file was
>queued in FreeBSD without send to Windows NT, the lpq command shows the
>print queue on NT is empty and a message indicates the lpd is waiting queue
>on Windows NT to be enabled.

Did you allow your FreeBSD-Box to print to your NT machine? On NT there
is surely an equivalent to /etc/hosts.lpd.

How does your entry in /etc/printcap looks like? Did you put the right
printername to "rp="? What's the output of "lpq -Pprinter" ?

Pascal
--

http://pascal.znet.de/     Pascal Gienger         - is like a fish without

        http://echo.znet.de:8888/ echo \8888:ed.tenz.ohce\\:ptth

Post by Staffan Ulfber » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

> >I try to print to a Windows NT 4.0 with TCP/IP printing service(LPD on
> >Windows NT) installed,
> >and setup the /etc/printcap as needed. After I print a file, the file was
> >queued in FreeBSD without send to Windows NT, the lpq command shows the
> >print queue on NT is empty and a message indicates the lpd is waiting queue
> >on Windows NT to be enabled.

> Did you allow your FreeBSD-Box to print to your NT machine? On NT there
> is surely an equivalent to /etc/hosts.lpd.

You need a user on the NT machine with the same name as the one
printing from the FreeBSD machine.  (You probably need to add "root"
for one...)

Don't know about hosts.lpd.  Not having one at least seems to grant
worldwide access:( I bet there's some mechanism for this as otherwise
adding a unix user called "Administrator" would almost certainly let
you print on any NT machine out there...  Documentation in NT is, as
usual, less than satisfactory, though, and not having the source to
look at doesn't help either:(

Another problem you might encounter is that NT thinks everything is
text (and doesn't understand preformatted PostScript), so you get the
PostScript source code printed (Microsoft claims their lpd understands
this, but, well, go figure:)  Workaround: add the value
"SimulatePassThrough" as a REG_DWORD with value 1 to
\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LPDSVC\Parameters using regedit,
and NT will think everything is preformatted.  Then do filtering as
required an the BSD machine.

Staffan

Print to Windows NT - Waiting Queue to Be Enabled?

Post by Henry Je » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

Staffan Ulfberg ???g??31 ...

>You need a user on the NT machine with the same name as the one
>printing from the FreeBSD machine.  (You probably need to add "root"
>for one...)

Thanks for your good hints, but it still makes the same result. I tried to
set an user account with same username and password, and also I tried to
enable Guest account, and the printer was configured as allowing "Everyone"
with "Print" permission.

The /etc/printcap contains following section,

Quote:> lj5|HP LaserJet 5 at 17D4:\
>  :lp=:rm=prn17d4:rp=laserj5\
>  :sd=/var/spool/output/lj5:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

The result of "lpc status" is like this,

Quote:> lp:
>  queuing is enabled
>  printing is enabled
>  no entries
>  printer idle
> lj5:
>  queuing is enabled
>  printing is enabled
>  1 entry in spool area
>  waiting for queue to be enabled on prn17d4

The result of "lpq -Plj5" is like this,

Quote:> freebsd.acersoftech.com.tw: waiting for queue to be enabled on prn17d4
> Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
> 1st    root       0    rc.conf                               7024 bytes

>                         Windows NT LPD Server
>                              Printer laserj5

> Owner       Status         Jobname          Job-Id    Size   Pages
Priority

Thanks all the help,
Henry

Print to Windows NT - Waiting Queue to Be Enabled?

Post by Staffan Ulfber » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

> Thanks for your good hints, but it still makes the same result. I tried to
> set an user account with same username and password, and also I tried to
> enable Guest account, and the printer was configured as allowing "Everyone"
> with "Print" permission.

At least the password doesn't matter (it is not sent by lpd on the
FreeBSD machine anyway.)  BTW, did you try printing with lpr from the
Windows machine directly?

Quote:> The /etc/printcap contains following section,
> > lj5|HP LaserJet 5 at 17D4:\
> >  :lp=:rm=prn17d4:rp=laserj5\
> >  :sd=/var/spool/output/lj5:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Mine here -- seems very similar:

zubr|HP LaserJet 5L on zubr (ghostscript):\
        :sh:\
        :rm=zubr:rp=ghost:sd=/var/spool/lpd/zubr:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Maybe you should try to add "sh" just to reduce complexity further.

Sorry, but I can't think of anything else.

Staffan

Print to Windows NT - Waiting Queue to Be Enabled?

Post by Ted Mittelstaed » Sun, 24 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi, there

> Forgive me if this is a obviously question, but I can not get help from
any
> documents I found.

> I try to print to a Windows NT 4.0 with TCP/IP printing service(LPD on
> Windows NT) installed,
> and setup the /etc/printcap as needed. After I print a file, the file was
> queued in FreeBSD without send to Windows NT, the lpq command shows the
> print queue on NT is empty and a message indicates the lpd is waiting
queue
> on Windows NT to be enabled.

> Is any one ever print to a Windows NT or can show me where I can found a
> document on this?
> Thanks a lot.

Printing from FreeBSD/Unix to NT is raught with gotchas - the LPD support
in NT is an afterthought.
However, with patience it can be made to work.  Here's a list of things you
need to pay attention to
on this config:

1) Microsoft TCP/IP Network Printing Support must be installed.  Under NT
3.51, this is part of TCP/IP Protocol and Related Components, under NT 4
it's a Service in Network Settings.

2) The printer name created on the NT server is the print queue name.  So,
you cannot use any
goofy or illegal characters for the printer name under NT. (such as spaces)
 I think also there is a length limitation (there is for WfW/DOS clients)
in LPD.  Stick with a long description for the printer, and a 8-character
printer name for the share & printer queue/icon name with no spaces, no
dots, no capital letters, no other baloney.

3) Unixes in general make an assumption that anything printed via "lpr" has
a type code of "text"
associated with it.  With NT, if it's LPD spool recieves a print job with a
type code of RAW, then it will leave it alone and pass it through to the
printer.  However, if it receives a job with a type code of TEXT it will
run it through the NT printer driver and format it as a text job for the
printer, which of course means stripping out all control codes.  This
INCLUDES PostScript!!

To get around this you can do ONE of the following:

a) Read Microsoft Knowledge Base article #Q150930 and Q168457 and follow
the instructions

b) Don't use LPR to print files you don't want NT treating as text.
Remember lpr assigns the text
type code to all printed files.  This includes PostScript files, which
should NOT be assigned the text type code if sent through NT!!!  (While
they ARE written as text files they are not PRINTED as text files.
Postscript files are in actuality INTERPRETED when received by the
printer.)  The reason that it works when the PostScript printer is locally
attached to a Unix box is because even though lpr types the job as text
(which is wrong) people usually don't have a defined "if" filter for a
local printer.

What really needs to happen is that some programmer needs to go into lpr
and rewrite it to add an option like "-b" meaning "binary files" which
would assign the "l" type code to it (meaning "print unfiltered")

4) There is no equivalent to "hosts.lpd" under NT.  The printer needs to be
accessible by Everyone.

5) The NT server needs to be named in the DNS.

6) The FreeBSD printcap needs to define "rp" equal to the printer name on
NT, and "rm" equal to the DNS name of the NT server.

Ted

Print to Windows NT - Waiting Queue to Be Enabled?

Post by Ted Mittelstaed » Sun, 24 May 1998 04:00:00

No - if you have a guest user and the printer has no sharing rights on it
you don't need a same
username on it.

Ted