How does one remove FreeBSD's Boot Loader?

How does one remove FreeBSD's Boot Loader?

Post by ftm! » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 07:15:24

I have a system with one HDD in it. The drive is has two partitions on it, a
C and D drive.  The C drive has Win2K on it, and the D drive has 4.3
FreeBSD.  I have removed FreeBSD from this system, and am now wondering how
can I remove the changes that FreeBSD made to the MBR.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Post by Des Coughl » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 07:20:00

> I have a system with one HDD in it. The drive is has two partitions on it, a
> C and D drive.  The C drive has Win2K on it, and the D drive has 4.3
> FreeBSD.  I have removed FreeBSD from this system, and am now wondering how
> can I remove the changes that FreeBSD made to the MBR.

fdisk /mbr

Or won't that work on Winblows 2000 ?

--
Des Coughlan            |Restez Zen ... UNIX peut le faire

http://www.chez.com/desmondcoughlan/
Cl Publique: http://www.chez.com/desmondcoughlan/pgp/pubring.pkr
Serveur IRC ... Libre, Sans Censure, Gratuit ... 212.198.69.6

Post by ftm! » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 08:10:31

> fdisk /mbr
> Or won't that work on Winblows 2000 ?

The primary partion is FAT32 and not NTFS, so it worked just fine.

Thanks.

Post by Dark » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 06:08:31

> > fdisk /mbr
> > Or won't that work on Winblows 2000 ?

> The primary partion is FAT32 and not NTFS, so it worked just fine.

That doesnt make difference. I have NTFS and works fine with fdisk /mbr.
I have done it several times.

Darko

1. Booting Win2000 with FreeBSD's boot loader

Hello,

I'm new to freebsd.  I'd like to be able to boot Win2000 from FreeBSD's
boot loader, but I don't seem to find any documentation on how to do
this.  This is my configuration:

- I have two SCSI hard drives
- da1s1: Freebsd
  da1s2: NTFS
  da0s1: NTFS
  da0s2: Linux
  da0s2: Linux Swap

What exactly do I have to motify in order accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

Alexander Franco

2. modem dialin speeds

3. Removing FreeBSD Boot loader

4. Linux User Group In Chicago

5. FreeBSD boot loader loading multiple OS's.

6. PCMCIA ethernet card stopped working...WHY?

7. boot loader not showing up; installed boot loader record on /dev/hda2

8. thread VS process

9. Boot sector virus warning with FreeBSD boot loader

10. Booting FreeBSD 4.x using Win2000 boot loader

11. Using NT's boot loader to boot linux?

12. Weird boot error : boot loader doesn't like harddisk

13. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install