going nuts with ppp setup!!!

Post by Eugene » Mon, 02 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I have spent two days in a futile attempt to set up user ppp.
I looked at many different docs, but no matter what I do, I keep getting
"No route to host". I managed to set up pppd but connection is _very_
slow. Any suggestions/advises would be greatly appreciated!!!

going nuts with ppp setup!!!

Post by Eugene » Mon, 02 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I have spent two days in a futile attempt to set up user ppp.
I looked at many different docs, but no matter what I do, I keep getting
"No route to host". I managed to set up pppd but connection is _very_
slow. Any suggestions/advises would be greatly appreciated!!!

going nuts with ppp setup!!!

Post by Brian Some » Tue, 03 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> I have spent two days in a futile attempt to set up user ppp.
> I looked at many different docs, but no matter what I do, I keep getting
> "No route to host". I managed to set up pppd but connection is _very_
> slow. Any suggestions/advises would be greatly appreciated!!!

Don't use "add 0 0 HISADDR" in ppp.conf, only use this in ppp.linkup.
The third arg to add in ppp.conf should be the same as the second
arg to "set ifaddr" -- without the /xx bit.  So, you may have

    set ifaddr 10.10.10.10/0 10.10.11.11/0
    add 0 0 10.10.11.11

The "add 0 0 HISADDR" is important in ppp.linkup however.

This was my braino :(

If it's *very* slow, you may want to wander by
http://www.freebsd.org/~brian and pick up the latest copy from
there (well, fairly recent anyway).  It fixes a bug where non-
TCP packets were being vj-compressed.

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.org>

1. going nuts with inconsistent PPP connections

A few weeks ago, I started tinkering around with RH 6.2 to do some home
networking. Since that time running PPP to connect to the net on my 56k
modem is hideous, as I only rarely connect with consistency.

My basic problem is that when I dial in, kppp reports a connection with
speed (usually 50k+), but thoughput is <<1k, and consequently unusable.
I think I have narrowed down the problem to pppd not running in root,
but making it suid root is inconsestant at best. This is also indepent
of the dialer, as pppd directly, using Linuxconf's services, and kppp
all have the same result.

I have checked all the relavent HOWTOs, FAQs and sites, and I can't find
anyone else with this problem, or anyone that has hope of giving me an
answer.

help.

Rob
--
Rob Blomquist
Kirkland, WA

Gone to the penguins...Bye, bye, Billy-boy....

2. contents of shared object?

3. What the heck is going on! Sometimes the Virtual MXs work, sometimes not! NUTS NUTS NUTS

4. Need to load master boot record

5. syslogd going nuts

6. FreeS/WAN and RedHat Linux 7.1

7. sound blaster going nuts

8. External video on a Pismo solution...

9. Please help with Squid before I go nuts!

10. Curses bug...help before I go nuts!

11. Going nuts

12. Has Deja gone nuts?

13. Tcpd and Syslogd going nuts