FreeBSD 2.2.6 chokes on my keyboard

Post by Ted Mittelstaed » Mon, 06 Jul 1998 04:00:00

This problem reminds me of one that OS/2 had with older AMI-bios'ed
motherboards.  THe keyboard controller BIOS chip had to be ref F or later,
I believe.  You may be having something similar.

The obvious first thing to try is a different keyboard, but it's more
likely the problem is in the controller firmware on the motherboard.  If
the BIOS can be flashed it might help - but with a 486 you probably need to
contact the manufacturer and see if a different controller BIOS chip is
available.  There is a company I forget the name of which out there that
sells updated controller chip BIOSes for about $20 or so.

Post the make and model of the system here, as well as the BIOS informaton
string that the system prints out on boot.  If it's an AMI system, the
controller chip firmware is the last letter on the right on the bottom.

Ted

Quote:> (Apologies if this post is duplicated)

> A load of devices are then listed (including a kernel message that st0 my
> QIC is not ready). On the way there is an error message like (from
memory)