Several sound questions (real audio, windows media, recording, etc.)

Several sound questions (real audio, windows media, recording, etc.)

Post by Philip Hallstro » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 01:39:24

Hi -
        I've got a couple of audio related questions...

- Is there anyway to listen to Windows Media Audio files?  I've tried
avifile, but it dumps core and complains about it not being a video file.
xmms-avi is marked as broken...

- If not, is there anyway to convert a windows media file to something
else?

- Is there any app that will download and save a live real audio stream?
Something like asfrecorder, but for real audio?

- What's the easiest command-line way to "grab" audio from my line-in
jack?   I've tried sox, but I'm not doing something right.  Currently,
when I plugin my radio to my line-in, the audio just starts coming out
automatically of the computer speakers.  Doing a "mixer line 0:0" stops
that.

Thanks!

-philip

1. /dev/audio questions: sound recording?

Thanks to many who answered my questions regarding digital audio
extraction, CD-ROM writing, and the 4Front OSS drivers.  I now have a
working and reliable audio system in my FreeBSD box.  Just one more
question: I'd like to use my soundcard to sample old analog audio tracks
(tapes and vinyl LPs) and write the data onto an audio CD.  I tried things
like reading from /dev/audio and outputting to a file, and this does work
in some sense (i.e., some kind of sound gets recorded), but how is the data
formatted?  Is there a better way?

Procedures for line-in recording would be greatly appreciated.

-David

2. Q: Semiblocking SOCK_STREAM

3. How to record real audio streams??

4. Test, Please disregard..

5. Recording Real Audio

6. Outgoing TCP Connections "Audit" Software?

7. Recording smil (Real Audio) streams as mp3 or ogg?

8. installation LILO in DEC FP5133

9. Audio Recording Real-time

10. iptables with masquerading not allowing ftp, real audio, quake, etc.?

11. How to RECORD sound directly from audio CD?

12. Able to listen to sound from dev/audio but unable to record

13. Recording audio w/ Sound Blaster Live!