How to change kernel, easy, but I am stupid

How to change kernel, easy, but I am stupid

Post by Serg » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have two kernel, of course, one is kernel and the other is kernel.old.
Now I want to replace kernel with kernel.old. Somebody says `cflag'
can do this, but stupid I am, don't know how to do, even reading man
page. Could any teach me how to do this ?

Thanx your follow up or e-mail.

Post by Robert L. Hatc » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I have two kernel, of course, one is kernel and the other is kernel.old.
> Now I want to replace kernel with kernel.old. Somebody says `cflag'
> can do this, but stupid I am, don't know how to do, even reading man
> page. Could any teach me how to do this ?

> Thanx your follow up or e-mail.

Your best bet is to use the "cp" command as follows:

        cp kernel.old kernel

This will copy kernel.old to kernel.

Enjoy....

Post by Martin Butk » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: I have two kernel, of course, one is kernel and the other is kernel.old.
: Now I want to replace kernel with kernel.old. Somebody says `cflag'
: can do this, but stupid I am, don't know how to do, even reading man
: page. Could any teach me how to do this ?

: Thanx your follow up or e-mail.

As root do:

chflags -noschg /kernel
cp /kernel.old /kernel
chflags -schg /kernel

--
Martin Butkus                                   >>> Live long and prosper. <<<
Phone/Fax: +49.5331.298710

How to change kernel, easy, but I am stupid

Post by J Wuns » Wed, 01 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Your best bet is to use the "cp" command as follows:

>    cp kernel.old kernel

>This will copy kernel.old to kernel.

Except that it won't work if everything is ``standard''. :-)

Better:

        chflags noschg /kernel
        mv /kernel /kernel.save-this-sucker-if-you-want
        mv /kernel.old /kernel
        shutdown -r now 'Better reboot again'

--
cheers, J"org

Post by geem.. » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

>> I have two kernel, of course, one is kernel and the other is kernel.old.
>> Now I want to replace kernel with kernel.old. Somebody says `cflag'
>> can do this, but stupid I am, don't know how to do, even reading man
>> page. Could any teach me how to do this ?

>> Thanx your follow up or e-mail.

>Your best bet is to use the "cp" command as follows:

>        cp kernel.old kernel

>This will copy kernel.old to kernel.

If you do that, you'll cut your number of kernels right in half.
You can select the kernel you want at the Boot prompt. The
optional c-flag is used to record the change (me thinks).  Do this
  Boot: /kernel.old.or.whatever -c
You can do cinfigurations then by typing visual at the config> prompt.

Quote:>Enjoy....

Correct.

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. Partitioning: Fips/Disk_Druid

3. UUCP for transtering email

4. Aryojan again Kernel panic at boot time <- i am stupid?

5. Can someone tell me if my CAM is working? 4999

6. Changing Kernel - what am I doing wrong?

7. win/linmodem drivers required

8. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

9. Stupid, stupid, stupid! FAT access rights...

10. easy easy easy one

11. stupid stupid stupid

12. Am I stupid or am I stupid. PPP. ALMOST!!!