CVS newbie question.

Post by Philip van Ulde » Sun, 14 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Just upgraded a few 2.2.x boxes to 3.3 and during the upgrade,
it mentioned that installing the new src's over what was there
is not the proper way and that you should use the CVS repository.

My problem is that I have to build a new kernel ASAP since the
generic kernel doesn't have quota support built in.  How do I get
the 3.3 src's using cvsupdate?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Philip van Ulden
Programmer Consultant
C-CAE, Faculty of Engineering & Applied Science
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Phone: (709) 737-8925

CVS newbie question.

Post by Bill Mora » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Just upgraded a few 2.2.x boxes to 3.3 and during the upgrade,
> it mentioned that installing the new src's over what was there
> is not the proper way and that you should use the CVS repository.

> My problem is that I have to build a new kernel ASAP since the
> generic kernel doesn't have quota support built in.  How do I get
> the 3.3 src's using cvsupdate?

First, install the cvsup program. The packages is probably the best way.
Then you edit a cvsupfile to tell the cvsup program what files you want
to retrieve. Then you run cvsup - I usually run it under X so I can see
what's happening, although you can run it as a background job (or even a
cron job) Then you wait. Depending on how fast your network connection
is, you may wait a while. I've got a cable modem and it usually takes
several hours. Then you've got everything and you can just make world
and rebuild the kernel and reboot (or whatever you want to do)
If you have Greg Lehey's book, there's and excellent step-by-step
explanation of how to do a cvsup. For what you're doing, you can
probably take on of the example cvsupfiles and use it with little or not
edits.(it's only if you're grabbing a weird distribution that you'd have
to change much)
This page on the FreeBSD site has more detailed information, should
probably take care of any other questions you have.
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?

CVS newbie question.

:
: My problem is that I have to build a new kernel ASAP since the
: generic kernel doesn't have quota support built in.  How do I get
: the 3.3 src's using cvsupdate?

        cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-bin
        make install
        make clean
        /usr/local/bin/cvsup -h cvsup.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

        You'll probably want to look at
        /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile file first to see if it's
        really the 3.x-stable file and maybe tweak some parts to your
        liking.

        While you're at it, run:

        /usr/local/bin/cvsup -h cvsup.freebsd.org ports-supfile

        HTH

--

                                    "Nyet.  Linux coder in next office."
                                    "Good man.  Ignore the screams."

1. Newbie CVS question

I know that I am off-topic but I have not found a *CVS* newsgroup and I ask
here. Sorry!

nVidia says that to update NVSDK run these commands:  (ok! OS: Win32!)
------------------------
set CVS_RSH=C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSDK\bin\ssh.exe
set HOME=C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSDK\bin

 cvs co -kb nvsdk
------------------------

I believe cvs must check cvs/Entries file to decide if must update a file
from cvs server to local or not.
In my case it looks like download whole file from cvs server and check with
local file

What I can do to avoid this? (To force cvs to check only keeped data in
cvs/Entries)
I ask because I have ONLY a 56kbps Modem...

Thanks

2. Corel WP8.0 Personal Edition is Out!

3. CVS and RCS newbie install questions.

4. Network Printing Problem

5. Newbie CVS Question

6. New tactics from the Linux advocates?

7. : Newbie question on CVS maintenance of the /usr/src directory

8. Changing controlling tty to cua0

9. Another Newbie CVS Question

10. current CVS tree vs released CVS tree

11. CVS - Not really FreeBSD, but I expect a few FreeBSD users are familiar with CVS !

12. cvs 1.3 BUG: cvs ci -r after a higher ci...

13. Distributed CVS -- Synchronizing Multiple CVS Repositories