Machine Migration. . .

Post by J'm Sm't » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 05:52:41

We are migrating our ftp server from a old P133 PC to a now unused P200
HP LH Server 300.  The PC is running FreeBSD 4.2 Release, and we would
like the new machine to be running 4.3 Release [we have burned ISO
copies of each onto CD].  What's the best approach to doing this?
Here's what I think [read, 'this worked in Novell']:

Install 4.2 on 'new' machine.  Use backup tape from old machine to get
all our 'stuff' onto new machine.  Upgrade new machine to 4.3.

Is this gonna work?  The machines will have the same IP address, host
name, etc., so problems there will hopefully be minimized [they won't be
on the network at the same time].

--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes.
...-.-

Machine Migration. . .

Post by Jim Levi » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 09:36:46

> We are migrating our ftp server from a old P133 PC to a now unused P200
> HP LH Server 300.  The PC is running FreeBSD 4.2 Release, and we would
> like the new machine to be running 4.3 Release [we have burned ISO
> copies of each onto CD].  What's the best approach to doing this?
> Here's what I think [read, 'this worked in Novell']:

> Install 4.2 on 'new' machine.  Use backup tape from old machine to get
> all our 'stuff' onto new machine.  Upgrade new machine to 4.3.

> Is this gonna work?  The machines will have the same IP address, host
> name, etc., so problems there will hopefully be minimized [they won't be
> on the network at the same time].

If you have a compatible disk controller on the old box, why not simply
attach the HP's disk to the old box, partition the drive and make
filesystems (and make it bootable), and dump the existing system direct
to the HP's disk. That's a bit more hardware hakery, but it's a faster
process than installing, restoring from tape and then upgrading. After
you have the disk back in the HP system it would make more sense to me to
cvsup the 4.2 system to 4.3-STABLE.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed FreeBSD.

Machine Migration. . .

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 06:51:18

On Wed, 30 May 2001 15:52:41 -0500

JS> Install 4.2 on 'new' machine.  Use backup tape from old machine to get
JS> all our 'stuff' onto new machine.  Upgrade new machine to 4.3.

        This should work, if you do a source upgrade (cvsup;
make buildworld kernel; reboot to single user; make installworld; mergemaster)
then you should wind up with a properly updated system. I'm not sure how
well a binary upgrade does the mergemaster stage and I know it's not as smooth
to get the right kernel config (unless I'm living in the past again).

        You may also want to upgrade any ports you are using- there have been
a lot of security fixes in ports lately.

--
    Many have tried to formulate rules for software development, we
are guided by the ways in which they fail to work.

Machine Migration. . .

Post by Harry Kroon » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 16:54:33

On Wed, 30 May 2001 15:52:41 -0500, J'm Sm'th

>We are migrating our ftp server from a old P133 PC to a now unused P200
>HP LH Server 300.  The PC is running FreeBSD 4.2 Release, and we would
>like the new machine to be running 4.3 Release [we have burned ISO
>copies of each onto CD].  What's the best approach to doing this?
>Here's what I think [read, 'this worked in Novell']:

>Install 4.2 on 'new' machine.  Use backup tape from old machine to get
>all our 'stuff' onto new machine.  Upgrade new machine to 4.3.

>Is this gonna work?  The machines will have the same IP address, host
>name, etc., so problems there will hopefully be minimized [they won't be
>on the network at the same time].

>--
>J'm

See http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/
(moving to a larger HD) to move your complete install to the other HD.
After that, you might need config changes for hardware differences.

To go from 4.2 to 4.3 on a fully configured setup, I don't know how
the CDrom handles upgrading, but you can also use CVSup.

Harry Kroonen

Machine Migration. . .

Post by J'm Sm't » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 21:38:06

> See http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/
> (moving to a larger HD) to move your complete install to the other HD.
> After that, you might need config changes for hardware differences.

> To go from 4.2 to 4.3 on a fully configured setup, I don't know how
> the CDrom handles upgrading, but you can also use CVSup.

> Harry Kroonen

Thanks--I'll check this out.  Unfortunately, I can't just take the HD
from the new machine and plug it into the old--one is IDE, the other is
an HP RAID.  I see that I also need to read up on CVSUP.
--

Post by J'm Sm't » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:02:21

> > See http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/
> > (moving to a larger HD) to move your complete install to the other HD.
> > After that, you might need config changes for hardware differences.

> > To go from 4.2 to 4.3 on a fully configured setup, I don't know how
> > the CDrom handles upgrading, but you can also use CVSup.

> > Harry Kroonen

> Thanks--I'll check this out.  Unfortunately, I can't just take the HD
> from the new machine and plug it into the old--one is IDE, the other is
> an HP RAID.  I see that I also need to read up on CVSUP.

The correct model number on the new machine is HP Netserver LH PRo.  I
think I will recompile a new kernel on the old machine that has support
for hardware on the new machine, pull the IDE HD's from the old machine
and install them on the new machine, then migrate from the IDE HD's to
the RAID.  Then CVSUP to 4.3.

Wish me luck.

--

Post by Mitterwald, Holge » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:05:20

> We are migrating our ftp server from a old P133 PC to a now unused P200
> HP LH Server 300.  The PC is running FreeBSD 4.2 Release, and we would
> like the new machine to be running 4.3 Release [we have burned ISO
> copies of each onto CD].  What's the best approach to doing this?
> Here's what I think [read, 'this worked in Novell']:

> Install 4.2 on 'new' machine.  Use backup tape from old machine to get
> all our 'stuff' onto new machine.  Upgrade new machine to 4.3.

> Is this gonna work?  The machines will have the same IP address, host
> name, etc., so problems there will hopefully be minimized [they won't be
> on the network at the same time].

I did an upgrade to other machines three times up to now. My best
experience is
to install 4.3 on the new machine. So you will have a fresh system. All
the rubbish
which could be on the old machine will be gone. Then look on the old
machine under
/var/db/pkg what was installed, decide what you still need and install
it on the
new machine (via ports section). Now the difficult part: check the
config-files in
/etc and /usr/local/etc of what has to be changed. As you (hopefully)
installed the
new system with the same IP/DNS/NIS etc. take a close look to rc.config
(mainly things
concerning start of services like linux-emulation etc.).

Lastly copy all the ftp stuff to the new machine.

The last time I did this my new system was about 200 MB smaller - and
still running the
stuff I needed. In my opinion it is more pain to upgrade an old system
than to install
and configure a new one.

Best regards,
   Holger

Machine Migration. . .

Post by Bill Vermilli » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 22:55:40

>On Wed, 30 May 2001 15:52:41 -0500, J'm Sm'th

>>We are migrating our ftp server from a old P133 PC to a now unused P200
>>HP LH Server 300.  The PC is running FreeBSD 4.2 Release, and we would
>>like the new machine to be running 4.3 Release [we have burned ISO
>>copies of each onto CD].  What's the best approach to doing this?
>>Here's what I think [read, 'this worked in Novell']:

>>Install 4.2 on 'new' machine.  Use backup tape from old machine to get
>>all our 'stuff' onto new machine.  Upgrade new machine to 4.3.

>>Is this gonna work?  The machines will have the same IP address, host
>>name, etc., so problems there will hopefully be minimized [they won't be
>>on the network at the same time].
>See http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/
>(moving to a larger HD) to move your complete install to the other HD.
>After that, you might need config changes for hardware differences.
>To go from 4.2 to 4.3 on a fully configured setup, I don't know how
>the CDrom handles upgrading, but you can also use CVSup.

I've upgraded several time on CD before I started CVSupping.  You
choose the upgrade option from the boot disks you made from the new
release from /stand/sysinstall if you can't boot from the CD.

Don't use a /stand/sysinstall from the old release.

You'll get all sorts of warnings about backing up, do you want do
this, etc. and it goes merrily on it's way.  I've done CD upgrades
from the 2.2.x era to the 4.0 before I went the CVS routines.

--

Machine Migration. . .

Post by J'm Sm't » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 00:12:03

> I've upgraded several time on CD before I started CVSupping.  You
> choose the upgrade option from the boot disks you made from the new
> release from /stand/sysinstall if you can't boot from the CD.

> Don't use a /stand/sysinstall from the old release.

> You'll get all sorts of warnings about backing up, do you want do
> this, etc. and it goes merrily on it's way.  I've done CD upgrades
> from the 2.2.x era to the 4.0 before I went the CVS routines.

> --

OK, I did a CD upgrade on my machine at home this way, from FBSD 4.0 to
4.3, but can't seem to find the text copy of GENERIC kernel 4.3 that I
can modify to recompile.  The only GENERIC I can find is the old one
from 4.0.  The new kernel that boots up is 4.3, but I would like to
compile my own [as I did in 4.0].  Thanks!
--

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 00:58:39

>> I've upgraded several time on CD before I started CVSupping.  You
>> choose the upgrade option from the boot disks you made from the new
>> release from /stand/sysinstall if you can't boot from the CD.
>> Don't use a /stand/sysinstall from the old release.
>> You'll get all sorts of warnings about backing up, do you want do
>> this, etc. and it goes merrily on it's way.  I've done CD upgrades
>> from the 2.2.x era to the 4.0 before I went the CVS routines.
>OK, I did a CD upgrade on my machine at home this way, from FBSD 4.0 to
>4.3, but can't seem to find the text copy of GENERIC kernel 4.3 that I
>can modify to recompile.  The only GENERIC I can find is the old one
>from 4.0.  The new kernel that boots up is 4.3, but I would like to
>compile my own [as I did in 4.0].  Thanks!

Correct.  The upgrades from a CD will upgrade only the binary
section.  If you try to add sources from the CD you get a message
saying you can't do that - because there are old sources there.

This is good behavior [as I see it] because it won't wipe out
things you may have changed.  It also ensure that you don't have
something left over in the /usr/src tree that is not used in the
new one, but could be compiled in.

You might try rename /usr/src /usr/src.old and then going back to
the CD to add the kernel sources.

I just rm'ed the /usr/src directory and CVSuped an entire new
release.

I did this from a 4.0 to 4.2 - so the details are slightly hazy at
the moment.

--

Machine Migration. . .

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 01:06:31

>> We are migrating our ftp server from a old P133 PC to a now
>> unused P200 HP LH Server 300. The PC is running FreeBSD 4.2
>> Release, and we would like the new machine to be running 4.3
>> Release [we have burned ISO copies of each onto CD]. What's the
>> best approach to doing this? Here's what I think [read, 'this
>> worked in Novell']:
>> Install 4.2 on 'new' machine. Use backup tape from old machine to
>> get all our 'stuff' onto new machine. Upgrade new machine to 4.3.
>> Is this gonna work? The machines will have the same IP address,
>> host name, etc., so problems there will hopefully be minimized
>> [they won't be on the network at the same time].
>I did an upgrade to other machines three times up to now. My best
>experience is to install 4.3 on the new machine. So you will have
>a fresh system. All the rubbish which could be on the old machine
>will be gone. Then look on the old machine under /var/db/pkg what
>was installed, decide what you still need and install it on the
>new machine (via ports section). Now the difficult part: check
>the config-files in /etc and /usr/local/etc of what has to be
>changed. As you (hopefully) installed the new system with the same
>IP/DNS/NIS etc. take a close look to rc.config (mainly things
>concerning start of services like linux-emulation etc.).

If you CVSup the sources, then 'mergemaster' will take care of
all the config files, giving you options of keeping the old ones,
using the new ones, merging the two - and you get line by line
options on whether to keep the lines from the old file or the new
file, and lastly, you have the option of delaying this to latter
and doing it on a file by file basis.

You can usually run with the old files, but miss the new things
that may have occured in the new OS version.  It really is pretty
slick compared to some other OS upgraded I've done in the past.

Quote:>In my opinion it is more pain to upgrade an old system than to
>install and configure a new one.

That is going to depend on how 'clean' your original install was.
How careful you were to make sure than no 'user' files were
installed in system directories, etc.

I'd make the choices on re-install vs upgrade on a case by case
basis.

On a non-BSD machine we always did the upgrade, and did it over
a three-day holiday weekend.  Just the thought of re-adding and
reconfigureing 72 printers was enough to convince me :-)

Bill