using ports to upgrade packages installed

using ports to upgrade packages installed

Post by Shao Zhan » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 13:29:31

Hi,

How do I use freebsd ports to upgrade packages that are already
installed on the system? I am not after the apt-get dist-upgrade
functionality, but just individual updates.

I found that if I do make && make install clean, it will simply install
the new package, and I will end up with two same packages but different
versions. Even worse is that, if I decide to remove the old version
package, it will also remove the files shared between both versions,
leaving the new version is not usable either.

Regards,

Shao.

Post by Devon Rya » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 14:05:38

> Hi,

> How do I use freebsd ports to upgrade packages that are already
> installed on the system? I am not after the apt-get dist-upgrade
> functionality, but just individual updates.

> I found that if I do make && make install clean, it will simply install
> the new package, and I will end up with two same packages but different
> versions. Even worse is that, if I decide to remove the old version
> package, it will also remove the files shared between both versions,
> leaving the new version is not usable either.

/usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade is the tool you're looking for.  Also,
you don't need to make && make install clean as a simple make install
clean would suffice (the process should stop if it encounters an error).

--

Biology/Neuroscience, Pre-med | http://home.uchicago.edu/~dpryan

1. Newbie: Port/Package Upgrading?

I am trying to install software that depends on more recent versions of
the ports/packages that were installed by default. I can't remove these
old files (to install the newer versions) as pkg_delete informs me of
their dependants! So how does one upgrade a port or package in FreeBSD
(5.0)?

Thank you :)

Christopher Harrison
http://www.ChrisHarrison.co.uk/

2. Isa and pci problems

3. how .tar.gz files can be used for upgrading or installation of a package???

4. microEmacs

5. Newbie Question: Package Installation Using Ports

6. Help! I can't log in remotely to my own machine!

7. Any RPM OS checking when install or upgrade package on Red Hat linux?

8. .bashrc script not run when logging in

9. What ports/packages can be used for e-commerce solutions

10. "package README not listed in file index" during upgrade/install

11. upgrading a FreeBSD base install package

12. using ports/packages to distribute software to a cluster

13. Help with installing source code package using RPM