FreeBSD locks up...

Post by jonez » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 05:36:32

Hi all

I got a question about a recurring snag I've run into lately.   I have an
Intel astor with two PII 450's that I loaded FreeBSD 4.0 into.   I have the
monitor on an A-B switch so I can use another computer while I learn my way
around the *nix server.

The problem is that the BSD box will be frozen sometimes,  when I switch
back to it.   The three times it happened the switch was on the other box
for over an hour,  and the BSD box had X windows running.

It seems really strange that a *nix server would completely lock up just
because the monitor is off,  so I'm a little worried I might have a bigger
problem,  maybe hardware.   I really don't know,  so I thought I would ask
you to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks

KJ

I choose the road less traveled............

.......now where the hell am I???

FreeBSD locks up...

Post by bsDm » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 05:45:48

Do you change the keyboard & mouse when you change the monitor?

Reason I ask is that:  When you switch away from Box1 to Box2 (say), if the
switch does not emulate the correct k/board & mouse signals to Box1, it may
have problems.  Shouldn't happen under command line environment, but could
well do under X.

To test:  Try unplugging the mouse from the BSD box, then plug it back in a
few minutes later.  If the system appears "frozen" (ie. mouse not working)
then press CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to unload X.  Then you know what the problem
is.  If it all works fine after you plug the mouse in again, then you have a
completely different problem!

Cheers.

Quote:> Hi all

> I got a question about a recurring snag I've run into lately.   I have an
> Intel astor with two PII 450's that I loaded FreeBSD 4.0 into.   I have
the
> monitor on an A-B switch so I can use another computer while I learn my
way
> around the *nix server.

> The problem is that the BSD box will be frozen sometimes,  when I switch
> back to it.   The three times it happened the switch was on the other box
> for over an hour,  and the BSD box had X windows running.

> It seems really strange that a *nix server would completely lock up just
> because the monitor is off,  so I'm a little worried I might have a bigger
> problem,  maybe hardware.   I really don't know,  so I thought I would ask
> you to see if anyone else has experienced this.

> Anyone have any ideas???

> Thanks

> KJ

> I choose the road less traveled............

> .......now where the hell am I???

FreeBSD locks up...

Post by jonez » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 06:45:42

Quote:> Do you change the keyboard & mouse when you change the monitor?

No.

Each box has it's own keyboard and mouse,  the monitor is the only
peripheral in the switch.

I'll try the 'CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE' combination though.
CTRL-ALT-DELETE didn't shutdown the server and I ended up hard booting it,
hence my concern.

Thanks

KJ

FreeBSD locks up...

Post by Nick Hilliar » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 07:26:24

> The problem is that the BSD box will be frozen sometimes,  when I switch
> back to it.   The three times it happened the switch was on the other box
> for over an hour,  and the BSD box had X windows running.

For a start, disable both your sound driver and APM.  These are generally the
first subsystems which cause serious problems with smp boxes.

Nick

FreeBSD locks up...

Post by bsDm » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 08:06:12

hmmmm.... weird.  Lets eliminate the simple stuff altogether & simply unplug
your monitor from the bsd box for a minute or so.  Then plug it back in and
see what you get.  Let me know the result.

> > Do you change the keyboard & mouse when you change the monitor?

> No.

> Each box has it's own keyboard and mouse,  the monitor is the only
> peripheral in the switch.

> I'll try the 'CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE' combination though.
> CTRL-ALT-DELETE didn't shutdown the server and I ended up hard booting it,
> hence my concern.

> Thanks

> KJ

FreeBSD locks up...

Post by Bill Vermilli » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:45:11

>I got a question about a recurring snag I've run into lately. I
>have an Intel astor with two PII 450's that I loaded FreeBSD 4.0
>into. I have the monitor on an A-B switch so I can use another
>computer while I learn my way around the *nix server.
>The problem is that the BSD box will be frozen sometimes, when
>I switch back to it. The three times it happened the switch was
>on the other box for over an hour, and the BSD box had X windows
>running.
>It seems really strange that a *nix server would completely lock up
>just because the monitor is off, so I'm a little worried I might
>have a bigger problem, maybe hardware. I really don't know, so I
>thought I would ask you to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Yup - seen it before.  Part is linked to motherboards.  Some will
work find with el-cheap switches - others exhibit the exact same
symptoms you describe abover.

I moved to a decent KVM and never had a problem.  Some reports
in this newsgroup indicate that Belkin switches can cause problems
like this too.

--

FreeBSD locks up...

Post by <a> » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 03:26:49

I've been using a Belkin KVM switch for about 6 months now and have had no
problems with it.  I am using one of Belkin OmniView SOHO series switches.
Never had a problem.  I did see the behavior described when I was using
just an A-B switch.  The console would lock up, but I could still log in
via ssh and restart the computer.  When I used the AB switch and only
switched the monitor, I never had a problem.  What is described by the
poster is strange.  But like was suggested by someone else, just unplug the
monitor from the FreeBSD machine for a while and then plug it back in.  If
it locks up then the switch is not your problem, but a good KVM may take
care of the problem for you.

Steve

> >I got a question about a recurring snag I've run into lately. I
> >have an Intel astor with two PII 450's that I loaded FreeBSD 4.0
> >into. I have the monitor on an A-B switch so I can use another
> >computer while I learn my way around the *nix server.

> >The problem is that the BSD box will be frozen sometimes, when
> >I switch back to it. The three times it happened the switch was
> >on the other box for over an hour, and the BSD box had X windows
> >running.

> >It seems really strange that a *nix server would completely lock up
> >just because the monitor is off, so I'm a little worried I might
> >have a bigger problem, maybe hardware. I really don't know, so I
> >thought I would ask you to see if anyone else has experienced this.

> Yup - seen it before.  Part is linked to motherboards.  Some will
> work find with el-cheap switches - others exhibit the exact same
> symptoms you describe abover.

> I moved to a decent KVM and never had a problem.  Some reports
> in this newsgroup indicate that Belkin switches can cause problems
> like this too.

> --

FreeBSD locks up...

Post by J'm Sm't » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 06:57:30

> I've been using a Belkin KVM switch for about 6 months now and have had no
> problems with it.  I am using one of Belkin OmniView SOHO series switches.
> Never had a problem.  I did see the behavior described when I was using
> just an A-B switch.  The console would lock up, but I could still log in
> via ssh and restart the computer.  When I used the AB switch and only
> switched the monitor, I never had a problem.  What is described by the
> poster is strange.  But like was suggested by someone else, just unplug the
> monitor from the FreeBSD machine for a while and then plug it back in.  If
> it locks up then the switch is not your problem, but a good KVM may take
> care of the problem for you.

> Steve

While I realize that this doesn't add all that much to the conversation,
I think
it is worth noting that we've been using two El-Cheapo monitor [only]
switches to switch 5 servers between on [also El-Cheapo] monitor.  One
of the servers [an old HP LH Pro], is running FreeBSD 4.5 Release and
another is an old P133 running FBSD 4.2, and neither has problems with
switching.
--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes.
...-.-

FreeBSD locks up...

Post by David Malo » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 05:47:36

>I got a question about a recurring snag I've run into lately.   I have an
>Intel astor with two PII 450's that I loaded FreeBSD 4.0 into.   I have the
>monitor on an A-B switch so I can use another computer while I learn my way
>around the *nix server.
>The problem is that the BSD box will be frozen sometimes,  when I switch
>back to it.   The three times it happened the switch was on the other box
>for over an hour,  and the BSD box had X windows running.

I'm guessing here, but if you upgraded the kernel you were using
but accidently left an old screen saver module around then you
might bee seeing a lockup when the kernel starts the screen saver
module.

        David.

1. InterNetNews 2.1 lock ups on FreeBSD 3.0

I have installed INN2.1 on a Pentium Pro 200 with 64M of Ram and 105M
swap.  Everything seems to go normally until I start checking the swap
partition.  It eventually consumes the entire swap and crashes.  Could
it be that I'm using mmap?

innd appears to be growing.  Here's what it is today

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU
COMMAND
  224 news       2   0 47432K 22328K select   4:12  0.00%  0.00% innd

compared to yesterday

 PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU
COMMAND
  224 news       2   0 30564K 24316K select   0:26  0.57%  0.57% innd

2. Mouse keywords (Xconfig)

3. Lock ups with SCO and Caps lock

4. Can Linux Do This ???

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. 2.4.20 and ext3 error.

7. Problem with AGP ViRGE/GX2 board - unexpected lock ups

8. DNS Question: Linix in Windows NEtwork.

9. keyboard lock-ups

10. ZGV program & lock-ups

11. SCSI DAT tape lock-ups

12. BusLogic 445c lock ups