FreeBSD with Media Vision ProSonic sound/scsi card

FreeBSD with Media Vision ProSonic sound/scsi card

Post by Bria » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am running a 386-40, 8mb, FreeBSD 2.1.0 RELEASE

I have a Media Vision 16-bit sound card(ProSonic NOT
ProAudioSpectrum/PAS) with a Future Domain SCSI interface
for the attached CD-ROM drive.  (btw: I use a IDE HD)
According to the documentation FreeBSD supports Future
Domain as noted below, but no drivers/devices are listed
in the kernel config file or LINT for that matter.
from hardawre faq:
4.2.    What SCSI controllers are supported?
FreeBSD supports the following SCSI controllers:
     Future Domain
        TMC-950 Series <ISA>
from handbook:
  o  Future Domain 8xx/950 series SCSI controllers.

two questions

Where is the support(drivers), if any, for future
domain scsi??

Any thoughts on what scsi interface my sound card
might have? The documentation just describes it
as "Future Domain"...no model.

My sound card claims Sound Blaster compability, but
don't they all.  Does this compatibility come from
software drivers that I would typically load in
MS-DOG, or does it come from actual hardware compability?

I guess the real question is can I use the FreeBSD
Sound Blaster drivers/devices to make my ProSonic
sound card work?

FreeBSD with Media Vision ProSonic sound/scsi card

Post by Steve Stol » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am running a 386-40, 8mb, FreeBSD 2.1.0 RELEASE

>I have a Media Vision 16-bit sound card(ProSonic NOT
>ProAudioSpectrum/PAS) with a Future Domain SCSI interface
>for the attached CD-ROM drive.
>from hardawre faq:
>4.2.        What SCSI controllers are supported?
>FreeBSD supports the following SCSI controllers:
>     Future Domain
>    TMC-950 Series <ISA>
>from handbook:
>  o  Future Domain 8xx/950 series SCSI controllers.

>Any thoughts on what scsi interface my sound card
>might have? The documentation just describes it
>as "Future Domain"...no model.

I've got this same card working under Linux (just the SCSI, not the sound
part). It is the TMC 8xx/950 series bus. It is an 8-bit bus with no BIOS. I
had to append a memory location/interupt statement to the linux boot
command line to get it to recognize the card because of the no BIOS.

I just got Linux going a couple of days ago. I will experiment with the Sound
Blaster compatibility, but the SCSI bus for the CD works fine.

Steve Stolle

http://www.primenet.com/~sstolle/index.html

1. Media Vision ProSonic 16 sound card SCSI driver?

Has anyone had any luck getting the SCSI port to work on a Media Vision
ProSonic 16 sound card?  I would like to get my SCSI CD player to work
with FreeBSD and would rather not buy another SCSI adapter.  I'm
currently running FreeBSD 2.2.

The card has a Future Domain 9C50 SCSI chip on it with IO_MEM C8000 and
IRQ 11.   I tried setting the seagate sea0 device to these addresses
(it supports some Future Domain controllers), but the probe was not able
to find the device.

If you have gotten this adapter to work, please let me know how you did
it.  If you have any programmers information about this adapter or about
the FD 9C50 chip I would appreciate this information so I can try to
modify the seagate.c driver to work with this controller.

Thanks for any help...

Digital Equipment Corporation
All opinions expressed are my own and should
not be assumed to be the opinion of my employer

2. file open by insmod, file close by rmmod

3. Problems with Media Vision 8/16 sound card w/ SCSI

4. Reading HP-UX tape on UW7.1

5. Media Vision ProSonic 16 (Jazz16) on Linux

6. dynamic update of /etc/hosts?

7. Anyone using a media vision sound/scsi combo?

8. WD7193 SCSI controller not recognized

9. Media Vision 3D sound card & Sony cu31a CDROM

10. q: media vision sound card

11. Media Vision Pro Sonic 16 sound card

12. Media Vision PCMCIA Sound Card

13. Please Help with ProSonic Sound/SCSI/CD Card