FreeBSD and Windows XP dual boot

Post by Aaron Prillama » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 13:32:11

I finally got my system running with windows XP, but still have a strange
problem.  I have to install windows first each time or freeBSD gets messed
somehow.. says "root mount failed" during startup then it gives a prompt to
mount>.  Is there some way I can repair this so I don't have to reinstall
freeBSD each time I reinstall windows?

Any comments/ideas are very appreciated as I'm very new to BSD and unix in
general.

FreeBSD and Windows XP dual boot

Post by Steven G. Kar » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 02:41:05

Quote:> I finally got my system running with windows XP, but still have a strange
> problem.  I have to install windows first each time or freeBSD gets messed
> somehow.. says "root mount failed" during startup then it gives a prompt to
> mount>.  Is there some way I can repair this so I don't have to reinstall
> freeBSD each time I reinstall windows?

If I understand you, you have FreeBSD on the disk and
it works fine.  You install XP and suddenly FreeBSD is
hosed.  You need to complain to Microsoft.

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 04:06:10

> If I understand you, you have FreeBSD on the disk and
> it works fine.  You install XP and suddenly FreeBSD is
> hosed.  You need to complain to Microsoft.

Classic problem with Windows installs.  They always hose the partition
tables and/or MBR, so you've got to install Windows first, then FreeBSD.

Post by Shalabh Chaturved » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 17:54:25

> I finally got my system running with windows XP, but still have a strange
> problem.  I have to install windows first each time or freeBSD gets messed
> somehow.. says "root mount failed" during startup then it gives a prompt to
> mount>.  Is there some way I can repair this so I don't have to reinstall
> freeBSD each time I reinstall windows?

> Any comments/ideas are very appreciated as I'm very new to BSD and unix in
> general.

I had a similar problem and figured out that after the Windows install
the FreeBSD drive slices had changed (ad0s1a was now ad0s2a or something
like that). Once I changed /etc/fstab to match the new names, everything
worked. Try to boot from FreeBSD cd and run fdisk to check the slice
names. Also you'll need to manually mount root using the new name if you
want to edit /etc/fstab - the handbook may help you there.

HTH,
Shalabh

Post by BSean » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 22:10:57

> I finally got my system running with windows XP, but still have a strange
> problem.  I have to install windows first each time or freeBSD gets messed
> somehow.. says "root mount failed" during startup then it gives a prompt
> mount>.  Is there some way I can repair this so I don't have to reinstall
> freeBSD each time I reinstall windows?

> Any comments/ideas are very appreciated as I'm very new to BSD and unix in
> general.

Easiest answer to this is to put windows first and FreeBSD second. You
could use the fixit disk to fix your MBR but I'm not 100% sure.

--
Nothing is achieved without trying

http://seane.connexus.net.au

FreeBSD and Windows XP dual boot

Post by DEBO Jurge » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:03:04

On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 04:32:11 GMT, "Aaron Prillaman"

>I finally got my system running with windows XP, but still have a strange
>problem.  I have to install windows first each time or freeBSD gets messed
>somehow.. says "root mount failed" during startup then it gives a prompt to
>mount>.  Is there some way I can repair this so I don't have to reinstall
>freeBSD each time I reinstall windows?

>Any comments/ideas are very appreciated as I'm very new to BSD and unix in
>general.

Maybe this is relevant.  When You do a bootblock protection in the
BIOS You have often the same problem.

Post by DEBO Jurge » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:03:42

On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 04:32:11 GMT, "Aaron Prillaman"

>I finally got my system running with windows XP, but still have a strange
>problem.  I have to install windows first each time or freeBSD gets messed
>somehow.. says "root mount failed" during startup then it gives a prompt to
>mount>.  Is there some way I can repair this so I don't have to reinstall
>freeBSD each time I reinstall windows?

>Any comments/ideas are very appreciated as I'm very new to BSD and unix in
>general.

Did You do a bootblock protection in BIOS, shut it off !

Post by Whit » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:37:16

>> I finally got my system running with windows XP, but still have a strange
>> problem.  I have to install windows first each time or freeBSD gets messed
>> somehow.. says "root mount failed" during startup then it gives a prompt to
>> mount>.  Is there some way I can repair this so I don't have to reinstall
>> freeBSD each time I reinstall windows?

> If I understand you, you have FreeBSD on the disk and
> it works fine.  You install XP and suddenly FreeBSD is
> hosed.  You need to complain to Microsoft.

That is odd, but when I installed XP (microsoft gave me a free copy), it
did nothing to the boot partition like the previous Windows versions did.

--
Charles 'Whit' Whittington  |  question = ( to ) ? be : ! be;
Georgia Tech CS Major       |           -William Shakespeare

Phone: (678) 575-4203       |

FreeBSD and Windows XP dual boot

Post by jp » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 07:43:06

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:37:16 +0000 (UTC),

[snip]
>> If I understand you, you have FreeBSD on the disk and
>> it works fine.  You install XP and suddenly FreeBSD is
>> hosed.  You need to complain to Microsoft.

> That is odd, but when I installed XP (microsoft gave me a free copy), it
> did nothing to the boot partition like the previous Windows versions did.

May be only free copies don't?

1. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

Hi
I've installed debian on 4 logical (at least that's what i've told
cfdisk to do) partitions (should be sda9 to sda12 ??; my HW config is
120GB hd on promise uata controller, dvd on ide0 master [so for linux:
hda], cd-rw on ide1 master [so hdc]) and created a boot floppy from
which i've extracted the bootsector and placed it on my fat16 boot
partition (sda0 ?? [will Linux see my promise ata as scsi??]). Then
i've added the line c:\bootsect.lnx="Debian Linux" to XPs boot.ini.

Now i get the message "boot failure" when i select Linux from the XP
boot menu.
I guess the Linux boot loader is looking for the boot image (vmlinuz
??)?
Where is it? Or better, how can i tell this to 'bootsect.lnx' ;-)

Booting from my rescue floppy still works fine, also booting XP!

Thanx

magicpio

2. SSH & net problems

3. Dual boot XP / Linux wont boot into XP

4. XFree86 Config ?

5. Newbie novice installed Grub on Redhat 7.3 with separate /boot partition, dual boot Windows XP

6. Linux on Siemens SCENIC Mobile 800

7. linux - windows xp pro - dual boot - boot.ini - bootsect.lnx failure

8. dual-booting XP and FreeBSD

9. How to dual boot Windows XP and Solaris 7

10. Setting up a dual-boot system with Windows XP

11. dual booting Linux and Windows XP setup

12. Questions on Dual Boot with Windows XP