Boot loaded can't see disk after upgrade to -stable

Boot loaded can't see disk after upgrade to -stable

Post by Richard Cale » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 21:11:58

I had a working (4.1) system yesterday. This sould have been enough
for me, but no, idiocy struck ``If I'm giving this machine to somoene
I should make sure I have an up to date system on it'', thinks Richard
the Idiot.

So, I cvsup'ed the system src and ports and did a build and install
world and kernel.

Now when I reboot I don't get the F1 prompt before the boot loader
process starts and the boot program says it can't guess what theboot
device is.

if I set currdev to disk1s1 I can boot into BSD and it looks like it
is working fine.

I have tried reinstalling boot0 with boot0cfg

I have tried reinstalling the 4.1 boot0 from the cd with boot0cfg

I have tried reinstalling boot1 and boot2 with disklabel.

It looks like the first stage of the boot process can't find disk1s1
to look in it to see that it is an option to boot from and the next
stage just defaults to something not useful.

Does anyone have any idea what could have changed to cause this sudden
lack of visibility of the disk?

System is an IBM Thinkpad 600X, the disk has one slice which contains
root, swap, var and usr partitions.

--

                                                 |<

1. prob: SCS 1.02 a1.root doesn't load RAM disk - won't boot

My machine won't boot using boot disk created from the SLS 1.02
a1 disk.  It seems to be going OK until after it creates the
RAM disk.  But it doesn't load the RAM disk (the same disk works
on other PCs, so I know what to expect).  The following are
selections from the boot messages:

Memory: 13784k/16384k available (460k kernel 384 reservd 1756 data)
..
Ram disk: 1474560 bytes, starting at 0x1b1d00
VFS: Insert root floppy and press enter.

As you can see it does not load the RAM disk and just goes and asks
for a root floppy without any error messages.

Machine details:  DX2/66 MG brand motherboard, 16 Mb RAM, 4x4 simms,
(70 ns as far as I know -- can't open the case without voiding warranty)
maxtor 234 Mb IDE drive, vesa local bus with cirrus GD 5426 VGA chip,
AMI bios of 11 Nov 1992.

I've tried messing with CMOS setup, disabling cache, shadow ram and
other things with NO effect.  Also tried 'non-turbo mode' but I suspect
this means merely disabling the cache, not running at a lower clock speed.

I have tried the SLS 1.01 disk of a friend and get the same result.

Other oddities:
1. after asking for <return> for modes or <space>
to continue, if you hit return it does not give you a choice, but
rather just goes into 80x50 mode.

2. after running DOS6's memmaker, the floppy would not list any files.
I removed the rubbish that had been added to autoexec.bat and the floppy
worked.  Again no error messages, just NO files apparently on any floppy.

3. running the windows solitaire game occasionally results in stuffed up
card images, and then a stuffed up windows display. (this of course may
be just a windows bug)

I would be grateful for any ideas or help.  I have looked through the
FAQ and the only thing that may be applicable is the memory may be too
slow.  (But I thought I would be getting panics..)  Also I note that
some people do seem to be running 486/66's with 16mb RAM.

Thanks in advance,
        -Matt Hannigan

2. diald + dip -> error

3. "Fastest, most stable and reliable operating system you've ever seen"

4. Ensoniq & Linux ???

5. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

6. Serial cables or Cerial for breakfast...

7. Slackware 3.0.0 boot disks won't load -- Kernel PANICS

8. I'm a designer, not a UNIX guy, but I need help

9. Upgrade from 3.4-STABLE to 4.x-STABLE

10. How do you make your own ``Slackware Boot Disk and Root Disk''??

11. Upgrade from 2.1-Stable to 2.2-Stable

12. Cant find errno.h while upgrading 3.1-stable (to 3.1-stable)

13. 3-Stable -> 4-Stable upgrade using cvsup possible?