PS/2 Mouse in Text Mode; X won't start

Post by sl.. » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi and thanx in advance for any help.
I posted a few weeks ago but my isp new server had problems(ran out of
space) so no new groups including this one were supported.
any ways the problem:
        While setting up F-BSD I somehow enabled my mouse to work in text
mode(who would want that anyways!?!) but now my X wont start up. it
complains(and rather loudly) that the device is busy. does anyone know
what I did to bring this upon myself??? I honestly don't remember which
files I had been changing because at the same time I had been setting up
user PPP and other network and X related Items...

Signed stupid

http://www.netrus.net/users/slick

PS/2 Mouse in Text Mode; X won't start

Post by Mike » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

In /etc/rc.conf you probably want:
   moused_type = "NO"
   moused_port = "/dev/cuaa0"

In /etc/XF86Config you probably want it to say:
   Section "Pointer"
        Protocol        "PS/2"
        Device          "/dev/mouse"

Maybe that'll work.  If not, I'm sure someone will quickly and angrily
refute me. :)

> Hi and thanx in advance for any help.
> I posted a few weeks ago but my isp new server had problems(ran out of
> space) so no new groups including this one were supported.
> any ways the problem:
>         While setting up F-BSD I somehow enabled my mouse to work in text
> mode(who would want that anyways!?!) but now my X wont start up. it
> complains(and rather loudly) that the device is busy. does anyone know
> what I did to bring this upon myself??? I honestly don't remember which
> files I had been changing because at the same time I had been setting up
> user PPP and other network and X related Items...

> Signed stupid

> http://www.netrus.net/users/slick

PS/2 Mouse in Text Mode; X won't start

Post by Peter Hutchinso » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I had this same problem myself. You must config X (via /etc/XF86Config) to
use the /dev/sysmouse device, NOT /dev/mouse or /dev/psm0 (if you have a
ps/2 rodent). Set the type to `Mouse Systems' and try restarting X.

I assume you are using moused in text mode (which is enabled/disabled via
/etc/rc.conf). You want it because it provides basic cut/paste
functionality. Select anything with the left button, put the text cursor at
the destination and press the right button, and the selected text is copied.

When in doubt try /etc/rc.* -- most usually /etc/rc.conf.

--
Peter Hutchinson

Cheshire                        <Win95, Access/VBA & Psion PDA programming>
United Kingdom           <Demon Internet Beta Testing Group>
"Who is Fatal Error, and why is he reading my drive ?"

Post by Chris Begg » Sun, 01 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>> No MCA support.  Supposedly someone was working on it at one time,
>>> but nothing became of it.  If you want to run FreeBSD you need to use
>>> an ISA, EISA, VLB or PCI bus based machine.
>> No problem, Linux runs on MCA machines.
>And it's probably experimental at best which is about par for an OS
>with the entropy approach to development.  I seem to recall the licensing
>fees for MCA and the membership fees from the MCA Developer's
>Association from Fall COMDEX 1992 as being in the four digit range.
>Also keep in mind the demand factor.  Is it worth it to develop
>for an obsolete architecture that even the manufacturer no longer
>supports it?  Sure, you go ahead and continue to release your movies
>in Beta format.

I'm running Linux on a 9577 with the following configuration:

PS/2 Model 77, 486DX2-66, 16MB RAM, XGA-2, 9527 IBM Display, 230MB
SCSI HD, 240MB SCSI HD, 2.88 FD, external USR 33.6, Linux 2.0.29.

Web access:    netscape 3.x
email:         netscape 3.x mozilla
fax:           mgetty+sendfax ( Gert Doering )
document:      lyx-0.12 (Matthias Ettrich et al.), laTeX, ghostscript
calendar:      xcalendar (Roman Budzianowski)
remote:        telnet over SLIP/PPP (Culhane, van Kempen)
windows:       XFree86 ( Henry Worth, Chris Beauregard on XGA-2 support)
linux:         2.0.29, Slackware 3.2 distribution

I got most of what I needed at:

http://glycerine.cetmm.uni.edu/mca/
(site of Chris Beauregard's 2.0.29 patch for mca)

http://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux
(site of Patrick Volkerding's Slackware distribution of Linux)

Chris

PS/2 Mouse in Text Mode; X won't start

Post by H. Ecke » Sun, 01 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>    While setting up F-BSD I somehow enabled my mouse to work in text
> mode(who would want that anyways!?!) but now my X wont start up. it
> complains(and rather loudly) that the device is busy. does anyone know

I consider cut'n'paste on the textscreen a rather neat feature as I'm
using my server's text console a lot and with a 640x480 greyscale screen
and being 'only' a 486/50, X isn't too useful.  This feature is
accomplished by running 'moused'.  You don't have to remove it to
get XFree86 back to work, simply adjust your settings in the config file:

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
#    Device      "/dev/mouse"
    Device      "/dev/sysmouse"

% ls -lF /dev/sysmouse
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12, 128 Jan 14 22:26 /dev/sysmouse

Greetings,
                                Ripley
--
http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/

Post by Christian Weisgerb » Mon, 02 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> This feature is accomplished by running 'moused'. You don't have to
> remove it to get XFree86 back to work, simply adjust your settings in
> the config file:

> Section "Pointer"
>     Protocol    "MouseSystems"
>     Device      "/dev/sysmouse"

Unfortunately, that turns a three-button mouse into a two-button mouse.

--

  See another pointless homepage at <URL:http://home.pages.de/~naddy/>.

PS/2 Mouse in Text Mode; X won't start

Post by Kazutaka YOKO » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

naddy>>> This feature is accomplished by running 'moused'. You don't have to
naddy>>> remove it to get XFree86 back to work, simply adjust your settings in
naddy>>> the config file:
naddy>>>
naddy>>> Section "Pointer"
naddy>>>     Protocol    "MouseSystems"
naddy>>>     Device      "/dev/sysmouse"
naddy>>
naddy>>Unfortunately, that turns a three-button mouse into a two-button mouse.

??? Are you sure about this?  If the third (middle) button is not
recognized, it is most likely to be caused by wrong `moused' setting.

Which mouse are you using?  How do you set up `moused' in /etc/rc.conf,
in particular, `moused_type' in /etc/rc.conf?

Kazu

PS/2 Mouse in Text Mode; X won't start

Post by H. Ecke » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> > Section "Pointer"
> >     Protocol    "MouseSystems"
> >     Device      "/dev/sysmouse"

> Unfortunately, that turns a three-button mouse into a two-button mouse.

My middle button is working perfectly.  My guess would be you've
misconfigured moused.

My /etc/rc.conf says

moused_type="mousesystems" # See man page for rc.conf(5) for available settings.
moused_port="/dev/cuaa1" # Set to your mouse port (required if mousetype set).
moused_flags=""               # Any additional flags to moused.

The mouse is connected to COM2 and has a real switch to turn on
three-button mode.  The mouse of my other machine is an "Ergo Mouse"
from Hama, D-86651 Monheim/Bayern, Germany.  Order no. 29059, and
works equally well.

Greetings,
                                Ripley
--
http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/

PS/2 Mouse in Text Mode; X won't start

Post by Christian Weisgerb » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

[ using moused setting XFree86 to use /dev/sysmouse ]

Quote:> > Unfortunately, that turns a three-button mouse into a two-button mouse.

> My middle button is working perfectly.  My guess would be you've
> misconfigured moused.

Oops.
Indeed, you're right.

On the text console, moused maps the middle and right buttons to the
same function (paste). Being used to gpm (Linux' equivalent of moused)
and X11, I expected the right button to extend the selection. Some time
ago I looked into the source code of moused and concluded that one of
the very first things it does to PS/2 mouse data is conflating buttons 2
and 3. I assumed it did this also when feeding mouse data to the X
server.

Now I actually tried it, and obviously I was wrong.
Sorry for causing confusion.

Quote:> My /etc/rc.conf says

> moused_type="mousesystems" # See man page for rc.conf(5) for available settings.
> moused_port="/dev/cuaa1" # Set to your mouse port (required if mousetype set).
> moused_flags=""          # Any additional flags to moused.

moused_type="ps/2"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_flags=""

Here it's a Logitech Pilot Mouse, PS/2 version.

--

  See another pointless homepage at <URL:http://home.pages.de/~naddy/>.

1. RedHat's Metro-X won't work with PS/2 mouse!

I have just installed RedHat Linux 4.0 to my PC. And when I start Metro-X
the cursor moves odd even though I properly selected options for mouse
driver configuration to PS/2. I tried to select other options like Logitech
Mouse, etc. mose cursor never moves but the oddy PS/2. I am using Microsoft
PS/2 mouse and it works fine in Windows95. The only way I can exit from the
X is to type CTRL+ALT+BS.
I realized that .FVWM95-errors file includes a lot of error statements as
follows.
----
Including_buttons...
Including_complex functions...
Including_mouse bindings...
Including_key bindings...
Including_menus...
Basic start menu...
Preferences menu...
Xlock/Screensaver menus...
Window-Ops menu...
Including_fvwm_programs...
Including_fvwm_hostmenus...
Including_modules...
Including_init...
Done
[GetFontOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get font black, trying 'fixed'Fvwm-95:
in function ButtonStyle: <<ERROR>> Warning: XPM file isn't the right size
Fvwm-95: in function ButtonStyle: <<ERROR>> Warning: XPM file isn't the
right size
Fvwm-95: in function ButtonStyle: <<ERROR>> Warning: XPM file isn't the
right size
Fvwm-95: in function ButtonStyle: <<ERROR>> Warning: XPM file isn't the
right size
Fvwm-95: in function ButtonStyle: <<ERROR>> Warning: XPM file isn't the
right size
RedHat Redbaron: Linux i486 (Linux 2.0) Version 3.00SPE
Display does not support 24, 8, or 1 bit TrueColor, DirectColor,
PseudoColor, GrayScale, or StaticGray visuals, exiting.
Fvwm-95: in function executeModule: <<ERROR>> Execution of module failed:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm95-2/
Permission denied
Fvwm-95: in function executeModule: <<ERROR>> Execution of module failed:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm95-2/
Permission denied
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
xterm:  fatal IO error 2 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
xterm:  fatal IO error 2 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
-----
I can't understand those messages because I am a very beginner.
Please help me to overcome that problem!

AT

2. Deleting a partition On Windows Me...

3. HELP: Graphics card won't reset to text mode after running X

4. Foxpro & Linux

5. Xserver won't start when mouse confg'd on COM2:

6. Help please! supper block dead!

7. HELP: My ATI card won't switch back to text mode after running X

8. Cut and Copy

9. Ghostscript won't reset PS mode.

10. X won't restore text mode -- what to do

11. MGR can't see mouse, won't start

12. Can't get mouse pointer in text mode

13. desktop login won't start openwindows - [text]